THE BROWNS BOARD

Tyson Jackson & Jarron Gilbert

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

Before Jarron Gilbert blows up the combine on Monday, check out some highlights from his game against Fresno State (Gilbert is #90).

Larger video here. For a smoother stream, pause it & give the clip about a minute to load.

Guest Aloysius

Didn't come away from watching that with questions about his instincts, though that could be the case.

I was impressed with his quickness off the snap, and it was nice to see him use his long arms to block the QB's throwing lanes; even when he didn't get to the QB, he was able to affect the passing game.

At the same time, he sometimes got pushed back in the run game, especially in the 4th Quarter. Not sure how much that was exclusively him or whether it was the guys around him wearing down. But based on reports elsewhere that Gilbert plays with an inconsistent motor, I'd say that his play in the 4th was a bit worrisome.

He needs to bulk up and, as you said, instincts may be an issue. But if his character doesn't get in the way, he's got the makings of a solid 3-4 DE.

Guest Aloysius

According to one report, Tyson Jackson basically told the media today that he'd prefer to play LDE in a 4-3.

The 3-4 DE class is really weak at the top. That can only help Gilbert.

Guest Aloysius

Ha. You're right, it doesn't make much sense...especially for a guy like Jackson, who's notched less than 5 sacks each of the last two years. 3-4 DE would seem to make a lot of sense for him.

I still want to watch more of Jackson before really setting on what I think of him. But from what I've seen so far, I'd say that I've never seen anyone look so good while doing so little.

Should be interesting to see how he times tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius

Watched a little more of Tyson Jackson (#93). When playing at his best, he reminds me of the Jets' Shaun Ellis.

Larger clip here

I can understand why someone would watch that and think, like Mel Kiper does, that Jackson's a top 15 talent. The problem is that he doesn't always play that well; in other games, he disappeared for long stretches of time. According to many people, his entire '07 season was one long disappearing act.

If he plays up to his potential, he could end up being one of the top 3-4 DE's in the league. But if he doesn't, he'll spend most of his time looking like an average NFL player.

I can see why you say that...I get my full share of SEC games on TV, here in SEC country, and a LSU game is one I usually watch...and Jackson did at times lay low.

I just don't know if it was because he was slacking off, or if other teams keyed on him seeing that last years LSU D wasn't as stout as it has been the last several seasons.

At any rate, I just don't see him as a target if we stay at #5....I think we would take one of the O-linemen before we would select him there.

Now....if we manage to trade down and do end up in that 15-20 range, he becomes a possibility.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius

From TFY Draft:

Twenty six teams were on hand at San Jose State as they started the workout bright and early on a cold and breezy morning.

The star of the day, Jarron Gilbert, delivered as expected.

Gilbert measured 6051/284-pounds, four less than his combine weight. His jumps were fantastic as Gilbert posted a 37-inch vertical jump and 10-foot 7-inch broad. His forty's averaged 4.76 seconds, significantly faster than his performance at the combine. Gilbert's 10yd split was 1.67-seconds and his 20yd-split was 2.75 seconds. He ran into a slight breeze. Later Gilbert ran in the low 4.4's in the short shuttle and posted a 3-cone time of 7.57 seconds.

The almost three dozen scouts on hand watched as New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan put Gilbert through a series of defensive line drills. Even as the defensive backs started their workout the scouts paid little attention, watching every detail of Gilbert's session work. By all accounts it was a terrific performance and Gilbert is very much knocking on the door of round one.

'knocking on the door of round one' sounds a lot like 'top of round two' to me. gilbert, at this rate, might end up in KC. with pioli's history of prioritizing D-linemen, it seems a logical match if he doesn't end up adding some youth to the steelers' aging D-line.

Guest Aloysius

The Jets and Panthers have been showing a lot of interest in Gilbert. If he's available at the top of the 2nd Round, I wouldn't be surprised if one of those teams moves up to get him.

Archived