THE BROWNS BOARD

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Chicopee John

Hillary Clinton inducted into Irish America Hall of Fame

By JILL COLVIN19 hours ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Hillary Rodham Clinton said Monday that bringing women to the table is crucial to establishing peace agreements that last.

The former secretary of state addressed a luncheon in New York where she was inducted into the Irish America Hall of Fame by Irish America magazine. On the eve of St. Patrick's Day, the magazine praised Clinton for her work on the Irish peace process.

Clinton is considered the leading contender for the Democratic Party's 2016 presidential nomination but hasn't entered the race yet. She did not address the controversy surrounding her use of private email during her time as secretary of state at the event.

Instead, Clinton spoke about her experience meeting women in Northern Ireland and made the case that their involvement was crucial to cementing lasting peace in the region, along with the Good Friday agreement.

She described sitting at a table in Belfast with women from both sides of the conflict and watching as they discovered how much they shared, over cups of tea.

"You cannot bring peace and security to people just by signing an agreement," she said. "In fact, most peace agreements don't last." She said that when "the work of peace permeates down to the kitchen table, to the backyard, to the neighborhood, around cups of tea, there's a much greater chance the agreement will hold."

Previous inductees of the hall of fame include former President Bill Clinton, Vice President Joe Biden and media personalities Bill O'Reilly and Chris Matthews.

When I was in Ireland we stopped in a pub and the landlady had a picture of Bill Clinton behind the bar. I asked her if she were a fan of the President and she said in hushed tones "well not really but he is the President of the United States". Then she whispered "I think he's more for the north."

WSS

On St. Patrick's Day in the US, seemingly every other blarney-speaking bloke proclaims an Irish heritage as he slugs back watery green beer to the tune of bad Celtic music.

But the fact is, only 10.5 percent of Americans - or one in ten people - traced their ancestry back to Ireland in 2013, according to a report by the Pew Research Center in Washington. That's down from 15.5 percent in 1990.

Massachusetts still maintains the highest proportion of Irish-folk, with 21.2 percent of the population claiming they're of Irish descent in 2013.

New Hampshire takes a close second with 20.5 percent, and

Vermont and Maine tie for third with 18 percent.

FT_15.03.17_irishNortheast.png

The Irish make up the second-largest ancestry group in the U.S. after Germans, Pew said in its report.

The number of Scotch-Irish in the US has also dipped from about 2.5 percent in 1990 to just under 1 percent in 2013.

Pew pulled the figures from The US Census Bureau, which has periodically asked Americans to identify their ethnic ancestry since 1980 and each year since 2005.

Census numbers also show that Irish-Americans tend to be more well-educated and bring in higher salaries than other ancestry groups.

About 35 percent of people claiming Irish lineage had a bachelor's degree or higher in 2013, compared to 29.6 percent nationwide. And the median income in 2013 for households headed by an Irish-American was $60,967, considerably higher than the nation's overall average of $52,250.

>>Remember, it's all about the base (denominator)!>>

FT_15.03.17_irishAncestryDeclining.png

I am a mick with a grandpa who was off the boat. Still don't give a squirt of piss about St. Pattys.

County Donegal here (Northern Ireland) - but the crew came over in the early 1800s.

Seeing every "Paddy McO'briens" stuffed to the gills with dummies waiting to slurp down green miller lite never stops annoying me.

I get rid of garter snakes a lot around the farm.

Does that mean I'm "Top of the Mornin to Ya" Irish?

Well, I haven't read the geneology my Wifie created....

but apparently, one of my ancestors was a direct descendant sp?

of Pocohontas. The old home place is in Pocohontas County, WV.

Some people just think its fun to piss other people off. maybe like wearing a confederate flag shirt to a hip hop concert or parading around in Steelers or Wolverines jerseys. Anyway if your little passive aggressive acting out makes you happy... ;)

As far as the holiday goes I've never met any of my Irish ancestors, they were all dead and gone when I was born, or not much after. Mostly my Irish heritage is an affectation that I've chosen. I have never experienced the troubles firsthand. I celebrate the holiday and make a good chunk of my yearly income around Green season since I can sing hours of Irish music. In honesty it's not much different than playing any kind of music, instead of Margaritaville, brown eyed girl and 5 o'clock somewhere you are singing Danny Boy, whiskey in the jar and wild Rover.

WSS

I don't have anything against st Patrick's day I just find it to be a made up and worthless holiday. The only point is to get drunk on a tuesday. And since I more or less completely abstain from alcohol because I just plain out don't like it that makes the holiday worthless to me. Just like cinco de mayo

My grandmother was from Cork, so I have a little bit of Irish blood, but I'm really not too bothered about the day. It's also nowhere near as big here as it is over there. On the other hand, it's still celebrated by bars and clubs as a gimmick to sell guinness and stupid hats, while St George's day (for england) isn't recognised at all. That irks me somewhat.

My grandmother was from Cork, so I have a little bit of Irish blood, but I'm really not too bothered about the day. It's also nowhere near as big here as it is over there. On the other hand, it's still celebrated by bars and clubs as a gimmick to sell guinness and stupid hats, while St George's day (for england) isn't recognised at all. That irks me somewhat.

It'd be an honor to stop over on Saint george day and have a few pints. any of you guys stumble across the new breed of American hops yet?

WSS

Archived