THE BROWNS BOARD

Could Santana end up at 3rd?

Oldcrow1945

I thought it was interesting the other day when Mark Shapiro said the organization "Would like" to keep Santana behind the plate but that "His bat may just outpace his defense"

He then went on to mention that Santana is actually a third baseman who was moved to catcher a few years ago and is still working on learning the postion.

If Santana's bat did outpace his defense and the Indians felt they had to get him up to the majors, where would he play?

I wouldn't think it would be DH even if Hafner didn't come back strong. I wouldn't think it would be at 1st base with Martinez, Hafner and Garko there already. Santana isn't an outfielder.

It just made me wonder what position Shapiro was thinking of when he said his bat may outpace his defense....Then I started thinking about this even more. If the Indians were really planning on Santana being their everyday starting cather in 2010, what are they going to do with Shoppach? He's going to be a hot commodity when his contract is up. He's too talented to be a back up catcher. That's why, in 2009, the Indians are playing Martinez at first and Garko in left more.

Finally, Shapiro also said in the perfect world they'd like to keep Peralta at Short. Could we see Sanatana at third?

They also have Wes Hodges who may be ready for the majors at 3rd base in 2010.

They have a gluttony of Outfielders who should be major league ready by 2010. Sizemore, Choo, Francisco, Brantley, Laporta, Crowe. Although I think Laporta's future is at first base due to his slow speed.

I think it's evident that the Tribe will be active in trades in the near future.

All in all, what a wonderful problem to have.

I am sadly old enough to remember some of the Indians last training camps in the desert.

I remember stuff like a curveball/breaking ball didn't do much because of the lack of humidity.

Or because of the lack of humidity it was hard to break a sweat there.

Could have been old wives tales

I truly wonder if Ryan Garko can play a passable OF position?

Will David Delucci hang on for another year?

I look forward to Santana and Weglarz, Mills and Rivero in Akron . Just right down the Road from me.

Laporta, Hodges, Brantley, Valbuena all in Columbus this year and STO showing some of those games.

Could Santana end up at 3rd, sure he could but he might have more value behind the plate.

Especially if the Indians trade Shoppach

But I like your thinking Heidi and I like our young position players in the minors

Laporta, Hodges, Brantley, Valbuena all in Columbus this year and STO showing some of those games.

Could Santana end up at 3rd, sure he could but he might have more value behind the plate.

Especially if the Indians trade Shoppach

But I like your thinking Heidi and I like our young position players in the minors

There is a lot to look forward to! This team will be loaded in a few years if Brantley, Hodges, LaPorta, Santana and others are as advertised. Shapiro has made some fine trades.

After Sabathia flops this year in New York, That trade will look even better. Brantley and LaPorta. Wow.

I didn't know that STO was going to televise a few Clippers games. That's great news.

Archived