THE BROWNS BOARD

What to do in the secondary

KardiacKid26

With so many people worrying about the linebackers, the secondary isn't in the best shape either. We had Eric Wright and Brandon Mcdoanld starting at coners and a combination of Brodney Pool, Sean Jones, Nick Sorensen, and Mike Adams starting at Safety. As said before, Both safeties can be upgraded. The browns are going to address the front 7 first and for most, but the secondary can use help too. I don't know much about our Salary Cap but I think there are some free agents we can look at. At safety there is James Butler, Jermaine Phillips, Atari Bigby and Gibril Wilson. Any of these players can help us. It wouldn't bother me to see Sean Jones leave if he wants big money. For the corners, we shouldn't draft any cause we have enough youth. Some Free Agents to look at are Bryant McFadden, Darren Sharper, Deltha O' Neal, and Kelvin Hayden. One thing I want to point out is that Brodney Pool did play some corner in 2006 when 3 of our corners were sidelined with injuries. He has size at 6'2, but it would be a big adjustment. Another thing to look at is Josh Cribbs being talked about playing some time at safety.

phillips is easily the best choice of the safety crop. it's an absolute mystery to me why the bucs franchised antonio bryant instead of him. wilson is more the beneficiary of the giants' lucky super bowl run than an exceptional player, but is a better option than any non-phillips safety available. james butler is more a free than a strong safety, and is slow for either position and not a guy i'd want. bigby's coming off an injury and is a RFA, so it's unlikely we'd get him without giving up a draft pick, which we're not in any position to do. darren sharper is a safety, not a corner, and one on the downside of his career, at that. we don't need another 'coach on the field' player. we need actual players.

of the corners, mcfadden will stay with pittsburgh. count on it. he's already said he wants to stay a steeler and they just won a super bowl. deltha o'neal's a joke. he's not a viable option whatsoever as either a starter, nickel corner or reserve. it'd be like having terry cousin out there again except that he'd make three picks instead of one during the course of the year because teams would always be throwing at him.

kelvin hayden is a serious option, though, albeit an expensive one. he's about the size that mangini likes, talented and experienced.

signing phillips and hayden would be a dream scenario, but, forced to choose between the two, i'd choose phillips because our backup safeties are worse than wright and mcdonald and third corners are fairly easy to find.

dammit. missed that one. well, phillips is definitely the best option now.

Phillips is the best option and will be very expensive. Jones is asking for big bucks over 4 years with a lot guaranteed. I don't think he will get what he is looking for and may come back to the Browns for an offer. Butler and Wilson are both decent but not spectacular.

Remember Adams and Holly are also UFAs. We have to come up with 3rd and 4th corners so I expect them to make a run at Holly and also a FA. If we can trade down and get another 2nd round pick, I like Patrick Chung over all the FAs, including Jones.

Archived