THE BROWNS BOARD

American Sniper Review

American sniper

Warner Brothers

R. 132 min

Spoiler alert.

Well maybe it's a spoiler alert and maybe not. I don't read about movies until I've seen them and form an opinion. It's never as much fun if you know the ending before time. At any rate, (and I hope you've stopped reading if that would bother you) I had no idea that the latest Clint Eastwood project AMERICAN SNIPER was the autobiography of Chris Kyle (Bradley Cooper), the main character, or how he ended up. I'm not sure that knowledge would have made a difference with this particular film.

I honestly wish I'd have enjoyed this film more than I did especially after finding that it has outraged so many assholes, including Michael Moore Seth Rogen and the gang at Salon. That being said it's not the politics I find fault with. This is a movie not a history lesson and not a recruiting film. It's the story of one man's journey through a very trying life with a postscript concerning a bitterly ironic ending.

I've never been to war but I can't imagine that it wouldn't be a truly miserable experience. Movies sometimes portray it as glorious and exciting but I'm willing to bet for the most part it is as Kyle wrote in his book.

Yes I'm sure we are appalled that human beings seem to turn feral in times of war committing acts of barbarism against each other that they would never consider otherwise. But you also can't help but be moved by the bravery and honor of those fighting men and women determined to protect their comrades at great cost.

If you are looking for action, adventure or excitement American sniper is not for you. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of fictionalizing or cookie cutter plot devices and because of that this film isn't very entertaining.

On the other hand you can't help but respect those who sacrificed so much.

My grade here rests solely upon my personal enjoyment of the film. I would not presume to try and rank feelings and the commitment of the man.

C+

WSS

Archived