THE BROWNS BOARD

Should we consider Andre Smith Should he Fall to #5

Sony Reed

Guest Aloysius
Alabama’s Smith does not post stellar numbers

Andre Smith, one of the top offensive tackle prospects in this year’s draft, said he was relying on Alabama’s pro day to make up for the disappearing act he put on at the combine. Well, his times were not overly impressive, but he did at least work out.

Smith measured in at 6-foot-4 ¼, 325 pounds and ran the 40-yard dash in 5.28 and 5.33 seconds. He had a 25-inch vertical, a 7-foot, 10-inch broad jump, a 7.88-second three-cone drill and 19 bench press reps at 225 pounds. His short shuttle time is still to come as are the times from his Alabama teammates.

To put Smith’s workout in perspective, he did not post a single number that would have placed him in the top performers at his position at the combine and many of his numbers were not even close to the top 10 at his position at the combine.

The 19 reps of 225 is very disappointing. Though Smith has very long arms, you'd think a guy that strong could work his way into the 25-30 range. The bench press is also considered a measure of endurance; that could have been a factor in Smith's poor performance.

The 19 reps of 225 is very disappointing. Though Smith has very long arms, you'd think a guy that strong could work his way into the 25-30 range. The bench press is also considered a measure of endurance; that could have been a factor in Smith's poor performance.

19 reps is weak for a tackle who was once thought to be a lock for a top 3 pick.

By the way, thanks for not posting the video of him running the 40. It's not a pretty sight when 340 pounders run with their shirts off.

I think this guy has bust written all over him. I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole in any round, let alone the first.

I watched the vid of him on nfl.com where he's talking about preparing for the pro-day. He doesn't really look like a football player, just a fat kid.

Guest Aloysius

From a premium draft site:

The situation has gone from bad to worse for Andre Smith. His bench press results were a pitiful 19-reps. His position work was also very mediocre. One scout has told us is it the "worst workout he ever saw" and a number of scouts are cranky that they made the long trip to Alabama to watch the pitiful workout. A second scout has told us "Smith lost millions of dollars".

PFT:

labama offensive tackle Andre Smith’s campus workout today in front of NFL scouts was a “disaster,” according to Tony Pauline of SI.com.

Quoting an unnamed scout, Pauline writes that Smith’s lack of preparation was obvious as he was overweight. One scout called the performance, “one of the worst workouts I’ve ever seen.”

Another AFC East scout told Pauline: “He lost millions today.”

As a league source told us earlier today, Smith ran with his shirt off.

According to Pauline, comments were made about “the flab and the rolls on his body” during Smith’s 40-yard dashes as he posted times between 5.21 and 5.29 seconds.

Per the article, several scouts weren’t happy to travel a long way only to witness a bad workout. And Smith’s trainers were not pleased, either.

and

Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith didn’t perform well at his Pro Day workout today in front of the entire league after creating a stir by leaving the NFL scouting combine early last month. One league source told us: “He bombed.”

According to NFL.com, Smith was not “overly impressive.” His top 40-yard dash time was 5.28 seconds and he bench pressed 225 pounds just 19 times.

According to our league source, Smith ran with no shirt on and was visibly overweight. With a group of trainers urging him on to run faster, Smith had a generally rough day.

Guest Aloysius
19 reps is weak for a tackle who was once thought to be a lock for a top 3 pick.

By the way, thanks for not posting the video of him running the 40. It's not a pretty sight when 340 pounders run with their shirts off.

Just saw him run on NFL Network. Wow, that was disgusting.

According to Mike Mayock, he took off his shirt before the weigh-in without anyone asking him to. That was about as smart as when he admitted at the Combine that he wasn't ready to work out.

And then they will watch the tapes.

We can go by what happen in pads, or we can go by what happens in shorts.

I think more picks are blown in this phase than any other.

To much number watching and not enough tape watching.

Guest Aloysius

Can't we consider both?

Smith is a strong, possibly elite run-blocker who struggles a little in pass pro against speed rushers. His 19 reps and soft body suggest that he isn't committed to working in the weight room. That could mean he's not going to get any better than he is right now, which is a concern for teams looking at guy who, on film, doesn't always look like a guy who could play left tackle in the pro's.

Perhaps more importantly, Smith being in less than ideal shape could open him up to nagging and potentially serious injuries, which is something teams worry about when they're giving a guy a lot of guaranteed money. And if they're worried about his motivation, they have to know that giving him that kind of money isn't going to help.

Sure we can.......but this time of year I think people tend to out think themselves.

Up to this point a player is evaluated on his play,,then the cookie cutters show up.

It is still a game and I think people make it make it much more complicated than it really is.

Again.....JMO

I just read an interesting article on Yahoo. One of the draft sites reported that some scouts were pissed that they had made the trip to watch Smith's workout. They also said one scout reported it was the worst workout he'd ever seen in his life.

This reporter is saying he could drop as far as a day two pick. This I don't believe for a second. But it wouldn't shock me to see him fall to the second round.

Archived