THE BROWNS BOARD

Tuesday Updates

Beanpot

I really hate pasting Castro's entire blog here (go read it!) so I'll only include what he considers to be minutia:

#If you're in the Cleveland area, SportsTime Ohio will be broadcasting tomorrow's opener against the Giants, which begins at 3 p.m. ET. If you're not, fear not. MLB Network will be picking up and airing the STO live feed.

#Feller was far from the only special guest at the complex today. This place has become a tourist trap. This morning, former closer Joe Borowski rolled in to take a tour and catch up with some old friends. Not only was Borowski, who lives in nearby Scottsdale, wearing the standard-issue Affliction T-shirt, he was also carrying his trademark cup of Starbucks. "I can drink as much as I want now," he joked. If you remember, Borowski's major complaint about Winter Haven was the lack of Starbucks availability. A story on Borowski will be up on the site soon.

#Cubs GM Jim Hendry and Padres GM Kevin Towers also toured the complex this morning. And on Monday, Rockies GM Dan O'Dowd (a former Indians assistant GM) rolled through. The Rockies have to be considering a move from Tucson. Only two teams (the Rockies and Diamondbacks) remain there, so their travel schedule is brutal.

#Not a great deal to report off the five-inning intrasquad, because, well, it's a five-inning intrasquad. But Josh Barfield started a double play on the only ball hit to him at third, and he also cranked out a three-run homer. So a nice day for him.

#Bad day for Masa Kobayashi, who had a rough third inning in which he faced eight batters and gave up three runs on four hits with a walk and a strikeout. Trevor Crowe took him deep for a solo shot, and Beau Mills added an RBI triple to the left-field corner. Eric Wedge said Kobayashi was flying open on his delivery. After Carl Willis talked with him on the mound, he tightened it up and got better action on his breaking ball -- and got out of the inning, to boot.

#Carlos Santana put on a display in batting practice during the morning workout, and he showed off his strong arm behind the plate in the intrasquad. Santana is catching (no pun intended) attention down here.

#The real star of the intrasquad was the ballpark itself. The plaza beyond foul territory near right field contains a Wiffle Ball field for the kids. The 8-year-old inside me is just dying to try it out.

#The park has an incredible sound system. Some of the players are already talking about starting a petition to have the system installed at Progressive Field (they hate the sound there).

#Then again, the people operating the system here could stand to make some tweaks. You've no doubt heard a small sampling of Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" played after strikeouts in many a ballpark, and Goodyear Ballpark is no exception. It's a tired act. And the lone time it was broken up, the replacement, bizarrely, was a short dose of Blessid Union of Souls' "I Believe" when Wes Hodges went down swinging in the fourth. I'm struggling to make the connection there.

http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/archives/20..._around_me.html

Hoynes posted some in-game updates at the PD:

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- In-game updates from the Indians intrasquad game Tuesday at Goodyear Ballpark.

Big inning: Trevor Crowe opened the third with a long homer off Masa Kobayashi to give the home team a 3-1 lead.

He makes the catch: After Crowe's homer, Josh Barfield sent a high fly ball to left field. Ryan Garko, making his debut in left field, fought the sun and the high sky to make the catch.

There's more where that came from: After Barfield flied out, Victor Martinez singled and Beau Mills tripled him home. Mills had hits in his first two at-bats. Stephen Head singled to left to score Mills for a 5-1 lead for the home team. Kobayashi, who tired last year in the second half, allowed three runs on four hits in one inning.

Big blast: Barfield, who started at third base, hit a three-run homer off John Meloan in the fourth to put the home team ahead, 8-1. Meloan walked the leadoff hitter and gave up Crowe's second straight hit to set the table for Barfield.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2...trasquad_u.html

Maury Brown posted the entire broadcast schedule of spring games on the MLB Network. The Tribe will be on 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/22 and 3/30. STO will be showing other games for those in-market or with DirecTV.

http://bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=...d=48:ei-mlb-net

Finally, Baseball America came out with their annual top 100 prospect list. Four Indians made the cut:

Santana at 26, LaPorta at 27, Weglarz at 58 and Adam Miller at 82. I'm going to read the transcript of their chat session later and will post something if they say anything about these four or others who just missed the cut.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...009/267698.html

Beanpot

I really hate pasting Castro's entire blog here (go read it!) so I'll only include what he considers to be minutia:

#If you're in the Cleveland area, SportsTime Ohio will be broadcasting tomorrow's opener against the Giants, which begins at 3 p.m. ET. If you're not, fear not. MLB Network will be picking up and airing the STO live feed.

#Feller was far from the only special guest at the complex today. This place has become a tourist trap. This morning, former closer Joe Borowski rolled in to take a tour and catch up with some old friends. Not only was Borowski, who lives in nearby Scottsdale, wearing the standard-issue Affliction T-shirt, he was also carrying his trademark cup of Starbucks. "I can drink as much as I want now," he joked. If you remember, Borowski's major complaint about Winter Haven was the lack of Starbucks availability. A story on Borowski will be up on the site soon.

#Cubs GM Jim Hendry and Padres GM Kevin Towers also toured the complex this morning. And on Monday, Rockies GM Dan O'Dowd (a former Indians assistant GM) rolled through. The Rockies have to be considering a move from Tucson. Only two teams (the Rockies and Diamondbacks) remain there, so their travel schedule is brutal.

#Not a great deal to report off the five-inning intrasquad, because, well, it's a five-inning intrasquad. But Josh Barfield started a double play on the only ball hit to him at third, and he also cranked out a three-run homer. So a nice day for him.

#Bad day for Masa Kobayashi, who had a rough third inning in which he faced eight batters and gave up three runs on four hits with a walk and a strikeout. Trevor Crowe took him deep for a solo shot, and Beau Mills added an RBI triple to the left-field corner. Eric Wedge said Kobayashi was flying open on his delivery. After Carl Willis talked with him on the mound, he tightened it up and got better action on his breaking ball -- and got out of the inning, to boot.

#Carlos Santana put on a display in batting practice during the morning workout, and he showed off his strong arm behind the plate in the intrasquad. Santana is catching (no pun intended) attention down here.

#The real star of the intrasquad was the ballpark itself. The plaza beyond foul territory near right field contains a Wiffle Ball field for the kids. The 8-year-old inside me is just dying to try it out.

#The park has an incredible sound system. Some of the players are already talking about starting a petition to have the system installed at Progressive Field (they hate the sound there).

#Then again, the people operating the system here could stand to make some tweaks. You've no doubt heard a small sampling of Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust" played after strikeouts in many a ballpark, and Goodyear Ballpark is no exception. It's a tired act. And the lone time it was broken up, the replacement, bizarrely, was a short dose of Blessid Union of Souls' "I Believe" when Wes Hodges went down swinging in the fourth. I'm struggling to make the connection there.

http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/archives/20..._around_me.html

Hoynes posted some in-game updates at the PD:

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- In-game updates from the Indians intrasquad game Tuesday at Goodyear Ballpark.

Big inning: Trevor Crowe opened the third with a long homer off Masa Kobayashi to give the home team a 3-1 lead.

He makes the catch: After Crowe's homer, Josh Barfield sent a high fly ball to left field. Ryan Garko, making his debut in left field, fought the sun and the high sky to make the catch.

There's more where that came from: After Barfield flied out, Victor Martinez singled and Beau Mills tripled him home. Mills had hits in his first two at-bats. Stephen Head singled to left to score Mills for a 5-1 lead for the home team. Kobayashi, who tired last year in the second half, allowed three runs on four hits in one inning.

Big blast: Barfield, who started at third base, hit a three-run homer off John Meloan in the fourth to put the home team ahead, 8-1. Meloan walked the leadoff hitter and gave up Crowe's second straight hit to set the table for Barfield.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2...trasquad_u.html

Maury Brown posted the entire broadcast schedule of spring games on the MLB Network. The Tribe will be on 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/22 and 3/30. STO will be showing other games for those in-market or with DirecTV.

http://bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=...d=48:ei-mlb-net

Finally, Baseball America came out with their annual top 100 prospect list. Four Indians made the cut:

Santana at 26, LaPorta at 27, Weglarz at 58 and Adam Miller at 82. I'm going to read the transcript of their chat session later and will post something if they say anything about these four or others who just missed the cut.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...009/267698.html

Beanpot

Would love to see Barfield to come on and just have a great spring. It would be good for the Tribe on the field or in a trade.

Archived