THE BROWNS BOARD

Accumulation of Compensation Picks for the 2016 Draft

browns23

Just throwing out a random thought I was having since free agency has been cooling off and there isn't much news. The Browns free agency strategy this year seemed to be losing players that would help us receive compensation picks and filling needs by signing players that have been cut. This is obviously so that next year we will receive the maximum number of compensation picks.

My theory is that in the 2015 draft we will build the team up and try to fill as many needs as possible while upgrading. However (this is pure speculation), I believe that in 2016, if the Browns are not satisfied with their Quarterback situation and Manziel's performance, they will try to pull of a Ditka-like trade to get the Quarterback they like. Since you cannot trade compensation picks they still would be able to build depth and not only be picking a Quarterback after they trade all of their 2016 draft picks. None of the 2015 Quarterbacks are spectacular so it makes sense if they have an eye on someone for 2016. If they do well in the 2015 draft and 2016 Free Agency, the loss of trading the farm for a Quarterback would not be as devastating.

Again this is pure speculation by me, but just a thought that crossed my mind since this part of the offseason is rather dull. Thoughts?

Yes. As I said in another thread, build what you can now. Build what makes sense now. Then when you think you've truly got a great team with the exception of QB, sell out to get one. Maybe that's Cardale Jones next year. Maybe it's Kyle Allen the following year. Maybe it's all moot because Johnny comes alive. I just hope they don't waste a pick/spot on one this year unless Winston somehow falls.

I just hope they don't waste a pick/spot on one this year unless Winston somehow falls.

Yeah, no off field crab leg stealing, non-rape issues here. At least it appears that way when head is under sand. LOL! :ph34r::P

Then when you think you've truly got a great team with the exception of QB...

Is that possible in today's NFL? And if so, how would you ever know?

I look at the Browns last year in every area other than QB play and injuries and I think we have one hell of a team coming back this year...

You cannot stand pat at QB until you have a franchise QB. You always have to be looking for your next QB.

If either top guy falls to us... you draft him. If they don't, then it's best of the rest.

I don't think you "stand pat" even if you HAVE a franchise QB. When you have a good number of draft picks, ALWAYS draft a QB at least mid to late. Who knows what may be found? Look at a few who were drafted, but not as "instant franchise" QBs)...Brady (6th round), Sipe (13th round) & R Wilson (3rd round), Then you have the Tony Romo (UDFA), Cribbs (UDFA college QB/NFL ST ace) & others. Especially late picks & UDFAs are rolls of the dice, so why not toss an unknown or down rated QB in there & see what happens. There are often "diamonds in the rough" out there. Nothing to lose & could be much to gain.

Mike

I don't think you "stand pat" even if you HAVE a franchise QB. When you have a good number of draft picks, ALWAYS draft a QB at least mid to late. Who knows what may be found?

Absolutely agree with this, you should take a QB every year.

Archived