THE BROWNS BOARD

Who will trade for Edwards??

ballpeen

With all the talk about moving Edwards, I wanted to examine who might seek his services in some form of trade.

Actually, this may work out to be two trades with both teams.

I see two teams that might want him and gain some draft position. I see those teams as the Eagles and the Giants.

First the Eagles.

This is more for draft position.

The Eagles need a LT...and 5 in the draft is a great spot to get the LT all teams need.

The Eagles have 2 first rounders...#'s 21 and 28, and then #53 in the second round. I could see swapping Edwards and our 1st rounder(#5) for all three of the eagles picks.

More likely is Edwards isn't a part of that deal and the eagle would end up offer a 2 for 1 swap in the first round.

The Giants have the same LT problem, but they also have a problem at receiver.

The Giants own pick 29 in the first round, and picks 45 and 60 in round two.

I could see Edwards going to New York....a dream for him as he seems to think he is a big lights player, and could see NY giving up the #29 pick and the #60 to get him signed.

So, in the end of all that, we end up with picks 21,28,and 29 in the first round, and pick 60 in the second....along with pick 37 and 50 in the 2nd round....our pick and the pick for Winnie.

So again.....21,28, 29, 37, 50,60.

I keep saying it can't happen, but in the end, I can't convince myself it is out of the question. Can you??

The word out of Berea is something big is in the works, and that big wasn't the Winslow deal.

Thoughts??

In hindsight i think we will have a hard time moving edwards with any value he will have to be our fire sale special which may get us ripped off or we can hope mankok can coach him into the selfless great reciever he is suppose to be but isnt...;)

I don't want to sound like a self-loathing Browns fan, but is this "something big" a deal that brings us the Steelers team that hasn't lost in Ohio since 05? and we ship them all of the inmates we have?

I guess if MANKOK wants to rebuild, they need to rebuild. I'll just need to go buy new Browns jerseys :unsure:

Guest Aloysius

Don't think the Giants have a problem at left tackle. They gave David Diehl a six year, $31M extension last year.

He may be a better fit at guard, but he's been pretty good at LT.

Don't think the Giants have a problem at left tackle. They gave David Diehl a six year, $31M extension last year.

Diehl's played all OL positions (changing just about every year) except Center. He's a damn good player.

Plus, he has my avatar tattooed on his arm. Gotta stand by the fellow Croatians, even though his father is German, which is pretty cool, too.

diehld.jpg

david_diehl.jpg

-Al

The word out of Berea is something big is in the works, and that big wasn't the Winslow deal.

Thoughts??

I'm guessing it involves Rogers....time for my favorite phrase......."We'll see"

Mike

I don't disagree, and why I really see that as more a play for the receiver as gaining draft position, but as you noted, Diehl, while better than your average tackle, isn't as good as your average Joe...as in Thomas.

I don't see it as a big stretch in them wanting to cash in on one of the best OT classes in the last 15 years.

Do you support moving Edwards peen?

Yes.

My opinion is Edwards is going to be a problem to sign. I fear we are going to have to franchise him to keep him.

I feel that would be way to much money to pay him and would reduce or position in being able to trade him. I think now is the best time to work a trade to provide maximum leverage in our favor.

I know it would put us behind the 8-ball possibly for this season at the receiver position, leaving us with a inexperienced player or some FA we would have to sign.

But in the end, Edwards reminds me of "Leon"...the excuse making player in the beer commercials. I just don't think those are the best guys to have on your team.....especially if we change our offensive focus from a deeper passing team to one that runs and throw short, controlled passes. Edwards just isn't a short, over the middle kind of guy.

I can see big problems on the horizon if we keep him.

I understand i just cant get over the feeling i get when i think about watching him excel for someone else... Its gonna be hard watching KWII go to the pro bowl for the NFC. Watching 2 of our guys do it would hurt pretty bad.

I guess that is a chance you take. My consolation is that they really didn't do it for us.

Sometimes a change of scenery is what it takes for some players....and that might be Edwards deal.

Winslow was never a issue of not playing well....it was a case of him missing half of his career here. Add in the tones of wanting a larger deal when we really weren't in position to give him a bigger deal here, that trade makes sense to me.

I do agree...the Edwards deal might be a burner. But we don't know what has gone on behind the scenes. We may have been trying to extend him for a while....and maybe we still will...all of this on him is speculation at this point.

I guess that is a chance you take. My consolation is that they really didn't do it for us.

Sometimes a change of scenery is what it takes for some players....and that might be Edwards deal.

Winslow was never a issue of not playing well....it was a case of him missing half of his career here. Add in the tones of wanting a larger deal when we really weren't in position to give him a bigger deal here, that trade makes sense to me.

I do agree...the Edwards deal might be a burner. But we don't know what has gone on behind the scenes. We may have been trying to extend him for a while....and maybe we still will...all of this on him is speculation at this point.

I would think that the front office has to be looking into an extension and they would know whether or not it has any chance of getting done. If there is no chance of keeping him here, then I am in favor of moving him even if it puts us in receiver trouble for this season.

Personally, I would rather see us work out a long term deal and keep him here because I hope that last season was just a bad year and he will rebound this season, but who knows.

Just heard a very interesting rumor from a caller on Sirius radio. He said that the reason the Giants are trying to hard to sign Canty is because they have a deal in the works with us to get BE and we would receive Kiwanuka and a pick. Thoughts?

Just heard a very interesting rumor from a caller on Sirius radio. He said that the reason the Giants are trying to hard to sign Canty is because they have a deal in the works with us to get BE and we would receive Kiwanuka and a pick. Thoughts?

Wow...Kiwanuka AND a pick? Get it done now! Base salary of $650,000 this year and 725K next. Plus 3 mil in incentives.

He's not a free agent until 2011.

That would open up even more cap space.

Kiwanuka (6'5" 265) posted 8.0 sacks last year. I thought the word on him was that he was a bit of a disappointment prior to that.

I wouldn't think that the pick would be very high. Maybe a 4th or 5th?

-Al

Guest Aloysius

Hometown guy Barry Cofield recently had a "complicated [knee] scope", which may explain why the Giants signed Bernard and Canty.

Cofield's a free agent after this season. Assuming the knee checks out, I wonder if the Giants would be willing to part with him.

But in the end, Edwards reminds me of "Leon"...the excuse making player in the beer commercials. I just don't think those are the best guys to have on your team......

Braylon has pledged $1 million of his own money for Cleveland School scholarships. Who else on the team has done that? What has Joe Thomas pledged? Others?

What kind of guys do you want on the team?

Kiwanuka (6'5" 265) posted 8.0 sacks last year. I thought the word on him was that he was a bit of a disappointment prior to that.

I wouldn't think that the pick would be very high. Maybe a 4th or 5th?

-Al

As far as sacks he may have been disappointing. I think he had 4 in 2007. But he's done a great job making tackles. Averaging around 50 a year. His numbers are better than Canty's.

He's only 25 years old.

If they are offering a 3rd or 4th and Kiwanuka, I'd hope they'd pull the trigger on this deal

Braylon has pledged $1 million of his own money for Cleveland School scholarships. Who else on the team has done that? What has Joe Thomas pledged? Others?

What kind of guys do you want on the team?

He offered 1 million in scholarships through his foundation. Not to the Cleveland schools, but to individuals. More than likely he is not giving a million of his own money. It comes from a foundation.

But as far as who the fans would like to see playing WR? One that holds on to a ball. One that doesn't blame his QB for his drops. One that isn't paranoid and doesn't claim everyone hates him because he's from UM and drives a Bentley.

The guy is a piece of work. Regardless of any charity.

He offered 1 million in scholarships through his foundation. Not to the Cleveland schools, but to individuals. More than likely he is not giving a million of his own money. It comes from a foundation.

Dude, scholarships go to individuals (students). i knew that. What's your point?

And guess what- money from foundations first needs to come from individuals (Braylon). People give money to Foundations and Foundations make the final decisions on who gets it. Braylon has hired people (likely volunteers) who are skilled in deciding where or whom the money should go. That's common.

Dude, scholarships go to individuals (students). i knew that. What's your point?

And guess what- money from foundations first needs to come from individuals (Braylon). People give money to Foundations and Foundations make the final decisions on who gets it. Braylon has hired people (likely volunteers) who are skilled in deciding where or whom the money should go. That's common.

No doubt.....if it is his foundation, he seeded it with his money, and no matter how you slice it.....a million bucks is a sizeable sum.

People who really know who Braylon is don't think of him as a selfish, "Leon" from beer commercials type guy. He's an intelligent, articulate, motivated young guy... regardless of whether he can catch the ball.

Plaxico is me first ... TO is me first ...

Braylon, like Larry Fitzgerald ... is not.

Archived