THE BROWNS BOARD

Sunday Notes

Beanpot

Haven't looked for much but here's what little I've found:

Pluto:

1. The Indians have been extremely pleased with Josh Barfield in the outfield, especially in center, and he plays a solid second base. Before coming to the Indians, he was a .300 hitter in the minors and batted .280 (.741 OPS) with 32 doubles, 13 homers and 58 RBI for the Padres as a rookie in 2006. This guy always hit. . . . until he came here (.243 with the Tribe). He's only 26, maybe he starts to play like the Barfield who could hit in San Diego.

2. They should just cut Dave Dellucci at some point this spring. Yes, his contract is $4 million. But he's 35, often is hurt and doesn't hit. Keep Barfield and someone such as Trevor Crowe for outfield depth, and it would not cost the Indians anything extra besides Crowe's or another rookie's contract.

3. Victor Martinez has been hitting with authority, the Indians pleased to see that his power has returned after having elbow surgery last season. At 30, Martinez could have a monster season, especially if he plays a fair amount of first base, which will not put as much pressure on his body.

4. If I had to pick, Aaron Laffey wins a spot in the rotation before Jeremy Sowers or Scott Lewis. His first outing was impressive. Sowers threw up to 91 mph in his start, but there remained the "separation" problem of not enough velocity between his fastball and change-up. That means his change-up too often looks like a bad fastball rather than being slow enough to throw off the timing of the hitter.

5. Great to see Mark DeRosa hammer a homer in the opener, but even better to see a compact swing from the right-handed hitter. Over the past three years -- when he emerged as a regular in Texas, then the Cubs -- DeRosa has been a .312 hitter against lefties, .283 against righties, .304 at home, .278 on the road. Having played in Wrigley Field and Texas helps those home stats, but his numbers on the road and against all types of pitching show he is a reliable hitter.

6. Matt LaPorta has been impressive early in camp with some hits in exhibition games -- including a homer -- and respectable play in left field. They kept pushing LaPorta to not try and pull everything, and he has been listening.

7. He won't start until next week, but the Indians are pleased with how Anthony Reyes has been throwing -- and showing no signs of the elbow problems that plagued him last season. Don't be surprised if he has a better season than Carl Pavano.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index....bout_the_2.html

Beanpot

Uncredited column about Fausto in the PD:

Indians need Carmona to bounce back in 2009

3/1/2009, 4:10 p.m. ET

The Associated Press

GOODYEAR, Ariz. (AP) — The weight of the Cleveland Indians' success in 2009 doesn't rest entirely on the right arm of Fausto Carmona.

However, if the pitcher has a repeat of last season — when he was injured for two months and didn't pitch well even when healthy — don't look for the Indians to be a threat in the American League Central.

"He's as important as any one player can be," general manager Mark Shapiro said of the 25-year-old right-hander.

Carmona, throwing in the mid-90s with a devastating sinker, burst onto the scene in 2007 with a 19-8 record and a 3.06 ERA in 32 starts, the second lowest in the AL.

In the first round of the ALCS playoffs, he subdued the New York Yankees while fighting off a bombardment of tiny bugs off Lake Erie that stuck to his face.

While it would have been a lot to ask of a young pitcher to duplicate that performance, no could have anticipated the complete reversal Carmona's 2008 season became. His final numbers — an 8-7 record with a 5.44 ERA — only tell part of the story.

There were signals early that Carmoma's fortunes would be much different. He walked a career-high eight batters in 3 1/3 innings in his second start. His sinker, which had hitters flailing the previous season, dove out of the strike zone too quickly.

A strained left hip landed Carmona on the disabled list in late May. He tried to come back from the injury in June, but the hip continued to bother him and he didn't return to the rotation until late July. He was 3-5 with a 7.61 ERA in his last nine starts.

The turnaround in Carmona's numbers was startling. He struck out 137 and walked 61 in 215 innings in 2007. Last season he struck out 58 and walked 70 in 120 2-3 innings.

So what happened? It might be part of the maturation process of a young player trying to master a difficult game.

"If it was that easy, everybody would just have a good season year after year," manager Eric Wedge said.

While the regular season is still over a month away, Carmona appears to have regained his confidence.

"You can see the difference in him," catcher Victor Martinez said. "He was hurt last year. He's healthy now."

Martinez, who is from Venezuela, has become a mentor of sorts to Carmona, a native of the Dominican Republic. The catcher's advice is simple.

"Sometimes he gets too excited," Martinez said. "That's what happened to him last year. I'm always talking to him about that. If he stays calm and just throws the ball, he will be fine."

Carmona says he has put 2008 behind him.

"The 2007 Fausto is the real Fausto," he said after throwing two scoreless innings in his first spring training outing. "I've got no pain. Just like now, I'm 100 percent."

As he has done throughout his major league career, Carmona used an interpreter for the interview. But he told reporters he would attempt to answer their questions directly this season, perhaps a sign he wants to take on more responsibility.

Carmona's sinker was the talk of the league in 2007. The Indians believe they detected flaws in his delivery last season that caused problems with the pitch.

"I watched him pitch in winter ball and all he did was pound the strike zone," pitching coach Carl Willis said. "His delivery looked a lot more fluid."

"You can't believe what it's like to catch it," Martinez said. "You just put your glove in a spot and he hits it. When he throws it like that, it's almost unhittable."

The Indians' best advice is for Carmona to stay relax and throw.

"He has so much ability, if he stays under control, the rest will take care of itself," Wedge said.

http://www.cleveland.com/sportsflash/index...clevelandsports

Beanpot

Just a couple of notes from other papers:

The San Fransisco Chronicle reports that the Tribe is actively looking for folks to fill the seats:

Economy fallout: In the backdrop of the Yankees and Bank of America ending negotiations for a 20-year sponsorship agreement, fans throughout the game are canceling season tickets. Ask the Giants and A's.

The Indians are being aggressive. Three team execs - president Paul Dolan, general manager Mark Shapiro and vice president of business Dennis Lehman - are personally calling season-ticket holders who haven't renewed, pleading for their business.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../SPAP16656A.DTL

Jensen Lewis talks about David Price (who should not be drafted in any fantasy league - swear he's gonna suck so hands off!):

Price's former Vanderbilt teammate, Cleveland Indians pitcher Jensen Lewis, has been warning his clubhouse about the impending storm.

"David's stuff is flat-out electric," Lewis said. "The ball comes out of his hand differently. When a guy fouls it off, it has a different feel. It just sounds different."

As the 2008 postseason approached, Lewis told Price to get ready. The playoffs, he said, would be unlike any previous baseball game. Price was skeptical.

"I thought it would be louder maybe," said Price, who is engaged to his longtime girlfriend, and a December wedding is planned. "But every pitch is unbelievably intense. You do good things, and people remember for years."

Things like eliminating the Red Sox. Things like providing a sneak preview of a potentially remarkable career.

Yes, the postseason is different. But so, too, is David Price.

Is the future now? Time will tell. But with such tantalizing possibilities, in the eyes of Rays fans and teammates, it can't get here fast enough.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/mar/01/01...he/sports-rays/

Hoynes writes about Miller and other things:

Pain in finger lingers for Cleveland Indians pitch Adam Miller

Sunday, March 01, 2009

Paul Hoynes

Plain Dealer Reporter

Phoenix- Adam Miller's fickle finger is hurting again.

The Indians held Miller out of Friday's Cactus League game against San Diego because of pain in the middle finger of his right hand. Miller pitched last season with a hole in the same finger. When it started leaking fluid, he underwent season-ending surgery.

"He was going to throw, but he has a little soreness in the finger," said manager Eric Wedge before the Indians lost to Oakland, 1-0, Saturday at Phoenix Municipal Stadium.

Miller has been on the fast track to Cleveland for several years, but injuries keep derailing him. Miller, who threw well in the Arizona Instructional League and winter ball in the Dominican Republic late last year, is considered the favorite for the seventh and final spot in the bullpen at the start of camp.

The Indians wouldn't say that publicly simply because of Miller's injury history.

"We don't think it's anything to worry about," said Wedge. "We don't want to push it."

Wedge is hopeful that it's just some early spring-training soreness. Miller did throw in Tuesday's intrasquad game and looked good.

He's still here:

Cliff Lee will make his Cactus League debut Friday against Milwaukee at Goodyear Ballpark.

"We'll probably control his first start and go from there," said Wedge. "He's been good. I know you guys haven't seen much of him. He's still around."

The Indians have held Lee back because he threw a career-high 223 2/3 innings last year in winning the Cy Young award. Since spring training is longer this year, they wanted to shorten it for Lee and some of their other veteran pitchers.

Countdown:

Look for Travis Hafner (right shoulder) and David Dellucci (left thumb) to be ready to play in games by the end of the week.

Have fun:

Left-hander Rafael Perez, who threw two perfect innings Saturday, today will join the Dominican Republic in preparation for the World Baseball Classic. He'll train in Florida with his Dominican teammates.

Tribe pitching coach Carl Willis will call Mario Soto, pitching coach for the Dominican, to see how Perez will be used.

"I'm sure they'll use him," said Wedge.

Testing, testing:

Kerry Wood, who missed about a week with a stiff back, will throw his second bullpen session in the past three days today.

As for right-hander Joe Smith, who missed about a week with a viral infection, Wedge didn't know when he'd be able to pitch in games.

"We've got to get him strong again," said Wedge. "He's playing catch. Then we've got to build him up. He's about a week away from throwing bullpens."

Sizemore update:

Grady Sizemore was shut down for the second straight day Saturday after it was announced Friday he would not play in the WBC because of a strained left groin.

"We'll see where he is on Sunday," said Wedge. "The best thing is we've got time to nip it in the bud."

Two-for-two:

In Friday's 5-3 victory over San Diego, Victor Martinez homered twice in his only two at-bats. The first homer was long. The second one almost left Goodyear Ballpark.

Last season, playing with a strained left hamstring and a sore right elbow that would eventually need surgery, he hit only two homers.

Martinez said he didn't even think about that on Friday.

"As soon as last year ended, it was in the past," said Martinez. "They already paid me for last year."

Martinez is grateful for being healthy.

"Last year was not fun," he said. "I would have liked to do this. I would have liked to do that, but I couldn't do anything. When you hit, you use your legs a lot. At the same time, my elbow put me up against the wall. I got to a point where I just couldn't do it anymore."

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/plaindealer....xml&coll=2

Beanpot

I'm about ready to say Adam Miller is a lost cause. The guy just cannot stay healthy. He doesn't make it into two weeks of spring training and he's hurt already. God forbid the Indians would ever have to count on this guy.

Wood really worries me too. It may be a case where he's just slightly sore and simply doesn't want to go out and work much in the spring. But he's another one that has had so many injuries.

They key to this team is the bullpen. They'll hit well enough to win with an average starting staff. But if the same debacle happens with the pen again this year, it'll be a long summer.

Just a couple more notes:

Hoynes doesn't think the Indians are interested in Bonds (ya think?):

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Jeff Borris, agent for Barry Bonds, reportedly arrived in Arizona on Monday and is trying to find work for baseball's all-time home run hitter.

It doesn't sound as if the Indians are interested.

"It's not even something I've thought about," said manager Eric Wedge on Tuesday morning. "It's not something (General Manager) Mark Shapiro and I have talked about."

Bonds was scheduled to go to trial Monday for lying to a grand jury about his use of steroids. The trial was postponed when federal prosecutors decided to appeal a judge's decision to bar evidence.

The trial has been delayed indefinitely.

Bonds, 44, hasn't played since 2007. He's hit 762 homers.

In 2007, Bonds hit 28 homers for the Giants.

"Due to the fact that Barry's trial has been delayed an indefinite period of time," Borris told USA Today, "I will be making the rounds this week to see if there's any interest in Barry playing for the 2009 season."

Borris added that he was no optimistic that a team would sign Bonds.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2...ont_appear.html

Also, Rick Adair touched on Lake Nellie. He was also later asked about the current situation in the Gulf but I can't find his words online:

No rest for Adair on upcoming off-day

Mariners pitching coach remembers Indians tragedy in 1993

By Jim Street / MLB.com

PEORIA, Ariz. -- Mariners pitching coach Rick Adair rarely talks about it, and he didn't get into specifics on Monday when he advised his pitchers to "take care of themselves" on Tuesday, their first full off-day of Spring Training.

It has been almost 16 years since Adair experienced the worst off-day imaginable.

He was the Indians' pitching coach in 1993, when the team had an off-day on March 23. The players gathered for a family picnic near a lake that was not far from the team's Spring Training complex.

Three of his pitchers -- Steve Olin, Tim Crews and Bob Ojeda -- climbed into a boat for a spin or few around Lake Nellie, a trek that ended in tragedy. The boat ran into a wooden pier, killing Olin and Crews, and seriously injuring Ojeda.

It remains as one of the worst accidents in Major League history, and one that Adair thinks about on days like Tuesday -- an off-day.

"I don't like to talk about it, but any time there is an off-day during Spring Training I think about it," he said.

Adair said he reminded his pitchers of the importance of being careful and "doing the right thing," but didn't mention the boating accident.

"They are young men, and as long as they are smart on how they handle their business, everything will be fine," he said.

The day off signals the end of one phase of Spring Training, and the resumption of workouts on Wednesday afternoon begins the second phase of camp.

"The guys have been going at it for almost three weeks now," Adair said, "and this is a mental break, a physical break and also a time to regroup."

Adair said the camp intensity and focus would be turned up a notch starting on Wednesday.

Complete off-days during Spring Training are rare, but thanks to the length of this one -- seven weeks, compared to the usual six -- other off-days are scheduled for March 9, 17 and 25.

But some of the pitchers might not be off.

"It depends on what we need to do," Adair said. "Some guys might need to get in some work."

The expanded Cactus League ends its first week on Wednesday, and Adair is pleased with what he has seen from his hurlers.

"One thing that has stood out is our talent level," he said. "We have a lot of good arms. And these guys are very good, young men. That also has stood out.

"Overall, I am pleased with the talent level and the character of these players."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

Beanpot

Archived