THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns 2009 FA

WPB Dawg Fan

All I keep seeing posted is this fear that our FO is doing nothing in FA and that we are going to end up with the same team as last year along with a couple of rookies. All this gnashing of teeth is really quite humorous for a number of reasons....but mostly because over 80% of FA's are still on the market.

Sure, some of the big names have already landed...but our FO has said from day 1 that we were going to take it slow...wait until the later part of the FA period...and then fill in with mid-grade talent for an APPROPRIATE pay (instead of the huge contracts being signed now).

So...to give a little perspective, here is what is available in FA (by position)

QB: 4 signed (2 by original club), 22 available

RB: 8 signed (2 by original club), 35 available

WR: 7 signed (2 by original club), 44 available

TE: 4 signed (3 by original club), 26 available

OL: 12 signed (6 by original club), 75 available

DL: 7 signed, 60 available

LB: 9 signed (3 by original club), 64 available

CB: 8 signed (5 by original club), 57 available

S: 7 signed (3 by original club), 35 available

A total of 65 position players have been signed, and 26 of those were by their original clubs. That means only 39 position players have changed clubs...with another 419 players still out there.

I know not all of them are going to be a player we would want to consider....but I am sure there are a couple out there still that will not only compete on our team...but will make it better...and that doesn't even include players like CB Roy Williams in Dallas that is likely to be cut in the next weeks.

So...CHILL! The FA period has just started. We have a long way to go and a lot of players to look at.

i'm relatively close to buffalo, so they cover the bills a lot.

Losman makes a lot of bad decisions and doesn't seem to be a good student of the game.

that's a nice way of saying he's a tool.

not worth looking at. ever.

I'm not that familiar with him. When I looked at his stats and considered he was a 1st round pick I wondered what he might be if given another chance in a new system.

no.

no.

buffalo's qb situation is not like Cleveland. there are few, if any, Bills fans that are saying "losman's a good qb. we need him back."

he's got some talent, and had good rapport with Lee Evans, but threw into traffic a lot....

just not a great decision-maker.

but one of those Qb's is/will be Losman, no?

you'd have to pay me to take him. :-)

anyways, very good point.

it's tough to sit on your hands when you're a rabid fan.

It is tough for us sitting on the sideline with nothing going on but i can promise you kokinis is feeling it even more then us but they are genuine about the way the want to build this team into something that is uniquely ours they want to bring pride back into this organization and its fans they arent worried about grabbing all the headlines for wasting randys money they are focusing on doing whats best for this club and if the right FA frankensteins leftover piece comes waltzing into their office and it fits you can bet they will sew them onto the frame...i have been unimpressed with the quality of the FA players vs their price thusfar..and am quite impressed with mankoks determination to only get the right parts if they are even available and if not to pass until they can...a longshot 5th-7th rounder could likely compare with many of them not even counting health..not to mention we already have talent thats equal or slightly better or slightly worse then what denver is buying or whats coming to interview..

Mangini/kokinis are the real deal and it really shows to me we just have to be patient and watch what happens soon...;)

i'm relatively close to buffalo, so they cover the bills a lot.

Losman makes a lot of bad decisions and doesn't seem to be a good student of the game.

that's a nice way of saying he's a tool.

not worth looking at. ever.

Does he have a brother named Derrick Anderson? Maybe different fathers but same genes?

I for one am not getting bent out of shape with them sitting out of free agency this year. Everybody knows you build through the draft, you make your own stars, you don't pick up retreads of other teams failing stars.

I hope we get a few more first day picks. With that we can really make an impact on our team this year.

I totally agree. We may need to pick up some DEPTH via FA...but they don't cost an arm and a leg...and they CERTAINLY don't cost us draft picks.

If we can pick up a couple ex-jets or backup CB's....then we can address the rest in the draft.

Archived