THE BROWNS BOARD

Jason Williams, LB, Western Illinois

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

The Browns sent scouts to Williams' pro day workout, and he certainly didn't disappoint. The 6'1", 241 pound linebacker ran a 4.49 40 and put up 26 reps of 225. He also posted a 39" vertical.

Williams is coming off a great week of practices at the East-West Shrine Game, where he showed the ability to be a run-stuffer inside, as well as the athleticism to cover tight ends. He notched 8 sacks in '07, so he may be versatile enough to play on the outside.

Though he's a little raw, Williams possesses the toughness and athleticism to be a stud 3-4 linebacker. It wouldn't be a bad move to take this guy on the second day of the draft; nfldraftscout has him projected as a fifth round pick.

Guest Aloysius

Williams actually ran for close to 3,000 yards playing quarterback in high school.

The concern about Williams is that he may be a Leon Williams/Chaun Thompson type. He made some mental errors at the East-West practices, but those may be due more to poor coaching than intelligence issues.

It's something that scouts will have to explore.

his being dumber than the ass end of a royal family would definitely be the main concern, and is a distinct possibility made more likely by the fact that he's got such great measurables but ended up at western illinois.

it seems like mangini puts a lot of stock in the interview process, which would mean he's got developed questions with keywords and syntax that flow in a designed order that he uses to look for specific responses from players. i wonder if he's consulted a psych guy and a linguist for his questionnaire; it seems like the kind of thing an obsessive mind would do. the interview will be what makes or breaks williams' stock for us. let's hope he comes through it unscathed.

at worst, though, i think williams could develop into a good situational guy. he certainly has the athleticism to do pretty much anything on the field.

i'm actually pretty interested to see what the new regime does with leon williams. he's got a ton of potential, and it's possible that a staunch disciplinarian like mangini could very well whip him into shape.

his being dumber than the ass end of a royal family would definitely be the main concern, and is a distinct possibility made more likely by the fact that he's got such great measurables but ended up at western illinois.

it seems like mangini puts a lot of stock in the interview process, which would mean he's got developed questions with keywords and syntax that flow in a designed order that he uses to look for specific responses from players. i wonder if he's consulted a psych guy and a linguist for his questionnaire; it seems like the kind of thing an obsessive mind would do. the interview will be what makes or breaks williams' stock for us. let's hope he comes through it unscathed.

at worst, though, i think williams could develop into a good situational guy. he certainly has the athleticism to do pretty much anything on the field.

i'm actually pretty interested to see what the new regime does with leon williams. he's got a ton of potential, and it's possible that a staunch disciplinarian like mangini could very well whip him into shape.

They need to start teaching these animals with colors and shapes.

Its no surprise to me when I hear the typical NFL player and how uneducated they sound. Most of these kids have to do nothing except play football and get laid in college. My uncle taught business history at OSU and said most of the athletes are just that.

Guest Aloysius

The Eagles, Patriots, and Bucs are bringing Williams in for private workouts. It's good to see another 3-4 team interested in the small school linebacker.

Guest Aloysius
Scouts came from far and wide to Northwestern's pro day Thursday for a main attraction who came from 250 miles away.

Western Illinois linebacker Jason Williams, a DuSable graduate, was the player most of the 17 NFL teams present wanted to see, and he didn't disappoint. The 238-pounder ran the 40-yard dash between 4.42 and 4.48 seconds, besting the numbers he put up last week at his school.

Williams -- who wasn't invited to the scouting combine last month -- was worked out by Tampa Bay Buccaneers linebackers coach Joe Barry and will have a future visit with the Bucs. He also has meetings lined up with the Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars and Miami Dolphins and has talked several times with Bears Midwest scout Jeff Shiver.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius

As mentioned elsewhere, the Browns are bringing Jason Williams in for a draft visit.

Looking back at his play in the Shrine Game, I was really impressed with Williams' athleticism. But more importantly, he displayed pretty exceptional playing strength - I loved seeing him blow up a running play by pushing TE Brian Mandeville (6'6", 260 lbs.) into the backfield.

I'd like to see Williams get bigger, but he appears to have the strength to play either 4-3 Sam or 3-4 ILB.

It's his athleticism that will get him on the field early on in his career; I could see him playing a Gary Guyton-like role for us, subbing in for Eric Barton on passing downs.

nfldraftscout projects Williams to go in the late 3rd/early 4th round area. I wouldn't be surprised to see us take him at #104.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius

From Jason Williams' twitter feed:

Meeting with the Browns today. Bumping elbows with Aaron Curry and Brian Orakpo

about 7 hours ago from txt

Oh yea and Andre Smith

And now Chris Beanie Wells

He also posted this pic.

Archived