THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns interested in ILB Paris Lenon

Guest mz.

The Browns have also expressed interest in Detroit free agent linebacker Paris Lenon, but no visit has been scheduled yet.

"The Browns are definitely on his radar scope,'' said agent Jonathan Persch. Lenon (6-2, 235) played middle linebacker for the Lions last season and would most likely play inside, next to D'Qwell Jackson in Cleveland. Originally signed by the Packers as an undrafted free agent out of Richmond in 2002, Lenon played his first four seasons in Green Bay and his last three in Detroit, where he led the Lions in tackles in 2008.

Persch said he's in the process of lining of visits with a couple of teams, and the Browns could be one of them.

via here.

Certainly not Aaron Curry, but maybe a solution at ILB nevertheless...

Guest Aloysius

If we sign Lenon, my guess is he'll occasionally spell D'Qwell at WILB and be one of our nickel/coverage linebackers. He has a somewhat lanky frame and isn't very good at taking on blocks, so I doubt he's a starting option at SILB (Andra Davis's old spot).

I suspect character may be a driving force behind the Browns' interest in him. Last year, Rod Marinelli praised Lenon for playing hard long after many of his teammates started phoning it in. That makes Lenon a Mangini type, even if he isn't a perfect fit for 3-4 ILB.

Yeah, 235 lbs. doesn't strike me as a "thumper," but versatility is a hallmark of good defenses. Hopefully we'll have one of those sometime soon.

Here is what Scout.inc has to say:

Comment: Lenon is a six year player coming off his best season as the second leading tackler for the Detroit defense. He has good height and has grown into his body nicely. He is a solid athlete, but not an explosive player. He runs well and shows good range in pursuit. He has burst to close and agility to slip blockers or change directions to get to the pile. He uses his hands well, while pursuing with proper angles to work through trash to stay in the fray. He is a solid wrap tackler, but needs to keep his pads over his feet better. He has improved his reactions and appears to be more instinctive over this past season. He has a good feel for route progressions and leveraging the ball as well as having enough athleticism to be an effective man coverage defender. He has worked himself into a starting position and should continue to improve given his intelligence, work ethic and durability.

He is considered an average starter by them.

I think you are right Al...Davis is better than he is as a bulky run stuffer.

We don't even have very good back-up's at backer, so we are going to look at several players who may not fit a starting mold.

I guess a lot depends on what sort of money he is seeking.

As long as he and his agent are thinking second tier money, then we might be able to work something out even if we have to take it up towards the top of second tier money.

He's most likely been scarred for life. We don't need dudes who contributed to a 0-16 season. We have enough losers as it is.

I don't know if you are trying to be funny or are being serious?

I will take it you are telling a joke.

There comes a point where you realize we only have three ILBs on our roster. Beside Jackson, Bell has never played and Williams looks like he never has and shouldn't again. So, depth is something we really need. Davis couldn't get off a block, got caught up in traffic and overran most plays, so this guy has to be an upgrade. anybody who didn't quit on a team getting hammered every week is a winner, not a loser.

Good coverage skills and awareness on the field is important for a SILB and especially someone playing next to Jackson. a player like this gives Jackson some room to free lance and be used in some different schemes.

Guest Aloysius

I really don't think he's a SILB, Ytown. When I watched him, I had serious doubts whether he could even play in a 3-4. He's got the agility to avoid blocks, but he gets tossed around when he's forced to take them head-on.

As you said, we need ILB depth, so Lenon makes a lot of sense as a backup WILB/cover guy. But if we're looking at him as a starting SILB, we're going to have a very athletic, completely ineffective defense.

Here is what Scout.inc has to say...

He is considered an average starter by them.

In a 4-3, that's what he is. But he's also turning 32 in November, so I'm not sure there will be a huge market for his services.

I dont think mankok will look at lenon seriously unless the price is right vs the skill and players are leaving town and signing elsewhere for way more than they are worth mankok isnt buying overpriced talent fella's they are just shopping waiting for a deal...;)

I really don't think he's a SILB, Ytown. When I watched him, I had serious doubts whether he could even play in a 3-4. He's got the agility to avoid blocks, but he gets tossed around when he's forced to take them head-on.

As you said, we need ILB depth, so Lenon makes a lot of sense as a backup WILB/cover guy. But if we're looking at him as a starting SILB, we're going to have a very athletic, completely ineffective defense.

In a 4-3, that's what he is. But he's also turning 32 in November, so I'm not sure there will be a huge market for his services.

Looking into him more, you are right. He is a prototypical 4-3 MLB. I think I would rather have a combination of Bowens and Barton then Lenon. Good catch.

Archived