THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns sign Robert Royal

blazekad

Hopefully this means the Browns won't be burning a draft pick on a TE. I saw on Walterfootball that he had the Browns taking Cook in the second round.

The only offensive player I would even consider drafting is a WR in round 4. I know some want a RB but I'd rather address the defense with the first 3 picks

Mary Kay Cabot / Plain Dealer reporter

Bills free agent tight end Robert Royal told the Plain Dealer Wednesday night that he had signed a contract with the Browns earlier in the afternoon and overnighted it to the team.

"Everything should be official by (Thursday)," Royal said. "I'm definitely excited to be a member of the Cleveland Browns and start a new chapter in my life."

Royal, 30, is an eight-year pro and three-year veteran of the Bills. At 6-4, 255, he's known more for his blocking, but is also a good receiver. He caught 33 passes for 351 yards with one touchdown last season. Overall, he caught 81 passes with seven TDs with the Bills.

Originally a 5th-round pick of the Redskins out of Louisiana State in 2002, Royal signed as a free agent with the Bills in 2006 and was cut Feb. 26 in a salary-cap move.

Royal, who also visited with the Jets, said he met Sunday and Monday with the Browns staff, including offensive coordinator Brian Daboll. "It's a terrific staff and I'm excited to come to work with them," he said.

Royal said he didn't know exactly what his role would be "but whatever it is, I'm all for it," he said. The Browns also have tight end Steve Heiden, who's coming off surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament and 2008 fourth-round pick Martin Rucker.

Royal is the first free agent to agree to terms with the Browns.

Good. I was about to shit my xxxxing pants seeing mocks with us drafting a tight end. I mean we just drafted Rucker for chrissakes. Good to know that ManKok isn't that stupid.

Yeah, and RAC 'n ROLLS never even checked the kid out to see if he could play.

Drafting a TE would tell me these guys are morons.

Royal is good stopgap insurance in case heiden gets hurt (likely) or rucker is the epic fail i suspect he will be...however we will still have to draft a bruiser TE but hopefully not this year! ;)

What im really wondering is how much mankok paid for him?

Royal's a decent pickup and I'm happy with the decision. As others said our D should be our primary concern for the draft and it looks like Mankok are heading that same direction. Sucks for Steve Hieden, though. He won't appreciate the competition. :lol:

I'll be intererested to see how he fits in.

Hopefully this means the Browns won't be burning a draft pick on a TE. I saw on Walterfootball that he had the Browns taking Cook in the second round.

The only offensive player I would even consider drafting is a WR in round 4. I know some want a RB but I'd rather address the defense with the first 3 picks

I'll take a center with one of the 2nd round picks, because their will be more picks coming.

I'll take a center with one of the 2nd round picks, because their will be more picks coming.

I agree we need a center BUT....we have Pool and sorenson(no so good) as safeties....That's it...two second rounders will probably be safeties if we don't resign Adams or Jones!

Royal is good stopgap insurance in case heiden gets hurt (likely) or rucker is the epic fail i suspect he will be...however we will still have to draft a bruiser TE but hopefully not this year! ;)

What im really wondering is how much mankok paid for him?

You sound like doom and gloom. I say Heiden stays healthy and Rucker works his way in as a nice receiving option.

You don't always have to look at the glass as half empty.

You have two veteran TEs, who can block and catch and a 2nd year guy with good hands and a lot of potential.

Sometime the glass should look half full.

Good. I was about to shit my xxxxing pants seeing mocks with us drafting a tight end. I mean we just drafted Rucker for chrissakes. Good to know that ManKok isn't that stupid.

Sometimes you got to realize that we could put together mock drafts better then these guys. I saw one where they had us taking a TE and a WR in the 2nd round. Maybe they missed the Giants game when Winslow didn't even play and Heiden lit them up. I guess they don't realize that our roster is void of LBs and DBs. They are good for a laugh though.

I like this pick up. Like someone else said "not sexy", but it solidifies the position. I have a hunch we'll see a major battle in training camp for the Starters slot between Heiden, Royal & Rucker.May the best man win.

Doug

Good sign, sorry chickenwang, we can't sign 10 TO's. Everyone will play their roles. This is what NFL.com said about him:

No longer just a blocker, Royal has gotten 35, 39 and 38 targets the past three seasons, and has 11 touchdowns in the past four. Michael Gaines stole some catches toward the end of 2007, but he's moved on to Detroit, so while he's not particularly exciting, Royal will be the main safety valve for Trent Edwards in '08. And he is a very good blocker, which means he'll likely be an every-down player.

Robert Royal's stats = 351 yards and 1 TD

K2 = 428 and 3 TD

Not too shabby for a great blocking TE.

Archived