THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns to work out Orakpo

WPB Dawg Fan

Another potential pick at #5 is getting a workout by the Browns on his home turf:

Browns to work out Orakpo in Austin

By Cedric Golden | Thursday, March 5, 2009, 02:04 PM

The Cleveland Browns are coming to Austin to put former Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo through a workout on March 18, a source close to Orakpo said Thursday.

brian-orakpo.jpg

The Browns are picking fifth in the upcoming NFL draft and are in dire need of a pass rusher after finishing with 17 sacks, which was the second fewest in the league. The source added that Cincinnati (6th pick) and Green Bay (9th) are the other teams in the top 10 who are interested in Rak’s services. The Broncos, picking 12th, have also shown interest.

Orakpo would provide some instant pass-rush credibility in Cleveland and give the league’s 26th-ranked defense a nice piece for the future.

I want nothing to do with this dude. Vernon Gholston 2.0.

Well I live here and have watched him for years....he is the real deal. Has heart! I don't think he is a #5 though....the closer it gets the more I'd take Crabtree given our offense was 30th last year and didn't score a td in last 5 games!

Gholstons only knock is he does not have the desire to play football.

Orakpo seems to be much, much, more interested in being a football player.

gholston is only a rookie give him a couple years before we call him a bust. I dont think he fit in Manginis defense last year. I see him as a pass rusher almost every down like suggs in Baltimore. I think he'll really florish in Rex Ryans defensive scheme.

Orakpo is going to be a great nfl player and should fit mankoks discription to the tee..if things have been smoothed over with rogers then orakpo is going to be the guy to get at #5 but dont be suprized if someone else grabs him first..;)

And i dont really see anything special in crabtree he has good hands but he will be a bigger risk health and performance wise then most seem to want to see..

I like the fact the Browns grilled him for football knowledge as I'm not sure seeing him workout in person does much for true analysis. He is legendary in the Texas weight room and will work out well. Game tape, game tape, game tape.

Cleveland Browns in a rush to work out Texas DE Brian Orakpo

Friday March 06, 2009, 3:07 PM

CLEVELAND -- The Browns will travel to Austin, Texas on March 18 to privately work out University of Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo, a source close to Orakpo told the Austin Statesman.

Orakpo, a candidate for the Browns' No. 5 overall pick, will also participate in Texas' Pro Day workout on March 25. But the extra workout by the Browns indicates strong interest on their part.

The source said that other teams showing interest are Cincinnati at No. 6, Green Bay at No. 9 and Denver at No. 12.

Orakpo, who would play outside linebacker in the Browns' 3-4 scheme, could be the edge-rusher they need to jump start their anemic pass rush. Last season, they had just 17 sacks, the second fewest in the NFL. Meanwhile, Orakpo was busy recording 11 1/2 sacks as a senior at Texas.

Browns coach Eric Mangini said at the NFL Combine that he would never draft a player who could only rush the passer, but Orakpo (6-3, 263) insists he can do it all, including stopping the run and dropping into coverage.

But ideally?

"In a perfect world, I just want to rush the passer, first through fourth down,'' he said at the Combine. "Any position where I can be effective doing what I naturally do best, and that's getting after the passer and affecting him. It's not all about the sacks, it's all about pressure.''

NFL Network's Mike Mayock compares Orakpo to Cowboys' three-time Pro Bowl linebacker DeMarcus Ware, who has averaged more than 13 sacks in his four seasons, and had 20 in 2008.

"I think he's athletic enough to stand up like (the Cowboys') DeMarcus Ware," Mayock said at the Combine. "I thought Ware was the best player in that (2005) draft and Orakpo is pretty close. I think he's a 3-4 linebacker. I like him a lot. He fits (the Browns') scheme. To me, he's not a reach at 5."

Baltimore Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said at the Combine that new Browns general manager George Kokinis was part of a study in Baltimore that showed that college sack production was an indicator of NFL success.

"If you were a great pass rusher in college and you had double digit sacks, you're probably going to have that on our level too,'' said Newsome. "So you may not have the notoriety of some of other guys, but when they have good sack production in college, they're going to have good sack production in the NFL.''

Orakpo told WKNR's Kenny Roda on Thursday that his meeting with the Browns in Indianapolis went well, "and it's a huge possibility'' they would draft him at No. 5. "The Cleveland Browns are a great up and coming team with Eric Mangini coming in there. I'm proud to have my name associated with them.''

Orakpo said the Browns grilled him on his knowledge of the game beyond rushing the passer and he assured them he's versatile. "I picked up a good vibe (from the Browns),'' he said. "Cleveland seemed like they were very interested. We'll see how it goes.''

Now, the Browns have to hope that his stellar Combine workout doesn't put him out of their reach. Before tweaking a hamstring, Orakpo finished third among defensive linemen in the 40-yard dash at 4.7, second in the vertical jump at 39.5, and eighth in the bench press with 31 reps

Chat with Brian Orakpo

Intro: Orakpo ran a 4.63 40 at the combine.Welcome to The Show! On Friday, NFL prospect and former Texas DE Brian Orakpo will stop by to chat about the NFL draft, his experience at the NFL combine and his time with the Longhorns.

Orakpo harrassed opposing offenses all last season. He ranked seventh on the team in tackles with 42. However, he was first in tackles for loss (19) and sacks (11.5). He even led the team in forced fumbles with four. He is the sixth best player on the Scouts Inc. rankings.

According to Orakpo's Scouts Inc.'s draft profile, he is "a fluid athlete with some good double moves as a pass rusher. He has solid instincts and closing burst to the QB ... Very fluid athlete. Can change directions smoothly for a taller end and shows good closing quickness in pursuit."

Send in your questions now, then join Orakpo on Friday at 3:15 p.m. ET!

2009 NFL Draft index

Brian Orakpo: Let's have some fun!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patrick : (Richmond, Va): Do you think your success at Texas will help you in the NFL? Also, what do you think is the best attribute that you bring to the table as a defensive end?

Brian Orakpo: I think I can carry my success at Texas over into the NFL. We played in big games at Taxes and did well in those games. The number one thing that I can bring to the table is attacking the quarterback. I can reek havoc in the backfield.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dustin (Fort Drum, NY): Mr. Orakpo, If drafted by a team who runs the 3-4, How do you think you will adapt?

Brian Orakpo: I think that I will adapt very well. My last season at Texas, we played both a 3-4 and a 4-3. Like I tell the NFL guys, I'm a guy that can play the OLB and be very good at it.

Jake (Syracuse): Brian, why should you get drafted?

Brian Orakpo: I should get drafted because I want to continue my football career. I play at a play making position and I believe that I can make big plays for a team at the next level.

Noah (Champaign, IL): O-Sack-Po, Any good nickname stories from your longhorn days?

Brian Orakpo: They call me Rake, short for my last name but they are using O-Sack-Po a lot now.

Darren Chandler, Az: Who was your favorite player groing up?

Brian Orakpo: I would have to say Reggie White. This guy bullied people and was very physical. He was a great all around player and person.

Steiny (NYC): What is it going to be like hearing Roger Goodell announce your name on draft day?

Brian Orakpo: It's going to be hard for me to not shed any tears. A lot of people don't make it this far and I'm lucky to be in this position. To hear Roger Goodell call my name will be an indescribable feeling.

John: (Bellevue WA): Your pick will make the 72nd consecutive draft a Longhorn has been taken. How did choosing Texas help make you a better pro prospect?

Brian Orakpo: Going to Texas brought a lot of things to the table, both athletically and academically. Texas plays in big games every week and that prepares anybody to play on the next level.

Ty (NYC): Which NFL QB are you looking forward most to sack?

Brian Orakpo: That's a good question! When Vince Young gets back into the rotation, I would want to sack him. Sacking my former quarterback will be a good feeling.

Noah (Champaign, IL): Whats your workout schedule right now? Eating schedule?

Brian Orakpo: I try to eat at least five meals a day, three big meals and two light meals.

Steiny (NYC): What part of your game do you think needs to be most improved?

Brian Orakpo: Everybody hates talking about their weakness but everybody has them. I think I need to work on my technique a little bit. I need to stop trying to over power guys and start using my technique a bit more.

James(Los Fresnos TX): How did the experience playing for Texas help you at the combine? What was your favorite part about the combine?.

Brian Orakpo: My favorite part had to be the showing my skills to all the GM's and scouts. Playing at Texas we always played in front of a big crowd, I mean our stadium holds 100,000 people. I love when I have a crowd watching what I can do.

Brian Orakpo: Thank you for all your questions, I had a good time! I can't wait until the draft so I can get the chance to show my skill on the main stage in the NFL.

Archived