THE BROWNS BOARD

Interesting tidbit on OBR on DA's contract

Thaak

Ok...a little investigative work has revealed this to to me.

The 5 mil owed Anderson on the 15th doesn't have to be paid this year. It can be deferred until next year. The catch is that whoever owns the contract on the 15th will guarantee 5 mil of the slated 7 mil or so Anderson is to receive next year.

Even if he gets cut from every team in organized football, dies, whatever...we will owe the money to him or his estate

So in essence, we can opt to not pay the contract bonus this year and defer the 5 mil to next year....but it will become guaranteed salary money.....to be paid by us if he is on the team or not, with the cap hit being absorbed in 2010.

The plus is there may not be a cap in 2010.

One way or another, unless we cut Anderson before the 15th, we will owe him 5 mil no matter what....we will just be able to push the cap hit in to 2010.....but again...if there is no cap in 2010...it doesn't matter.

So what does this mean??

Not a whole lot unless we go in to a uncapped year.

Wow...that IS interesting...and makes moving him SOOO much easier. Even if we trade him we don't have to take the cap hit this year...that makes it a lot easier for us to sign guys THIS year.

Actually, that is GREAT news.

Wow...that IS interesting...and makes moving him SOOO much easier. Even if we trade him we don't have to take the cap hit this year...that makes it a lot easier for us to sign guys THIS year.

Actually, that is GREAT news.

I don't know if it makes it easier to move him, but as you said...it could free up some money....but it is almost a rob Peter to pay Paul....I really don't think we are going to have a uncapped year.....but the cap always seems to go up, so it allows the overall impact to be lessened somewhat.

I would suspect we will defer just to see what transpires on the cap front and on the FA/player front.

It was structured as more a way for both sides to protect their interests with 2010 looming with no new CBA in place.

What it is looking like to me is we are keeping DA for a full out camp competition and either keep him in a guaranteed contract of 7 mil next year(5 is actually guaranteed) if he wins out and trade Brady....or keep Brady and just go in to next year knowing we will have 5 mil in dead money(at least that much...don't know about any other) when we trade DA....who's new team will only have to pay him 2 mil.

Ok...a little investigative work has revealed this to to me.

The 5 mil owed Anderson on the 15th doesn't have to be paid this year. It can be deferred until next year. The catch is that whoever owns the contract on the 15th will guarantee 5 mil of the slated 7 mil or so Anderson is to receive next year.

Even if he gets cut from every team in organized football, dies, whatever...we will owe the money to him or his estate

So in essence, we can opt to not pay the contract bonus this year and defer the 5 mil to next year....but it will become guaranteed salary money.....to be paid by us if he is on the team or not, with the cap hit being absorbed in 2010.

The plus is there may not be a cap in 2010.

One way or another, unless we cut Anderson before the 15th, we will owe him 5 mil no matter what....we will just be able to push the cap hit in to 2010.....but again...if there is no cap in 2010...it doesn't matter.

So what does this mean??

Not a whole lot unless we go in to a uncapped year.

Nope, you got one thing wrong...

Whoever owns his contract in 2010 is up for the $5mill should we choose not to pay it this year.

Whoever owns his contract in 2010 is up for the $5mill should we choose not to pay it this year.

The word I get is the team who owns the contract on the 15th of this month is the team that guarantees the 5 mil in 2010, but since it sounds like you have the contract in front of you;)....who knows??

For now, I will stick to my view.

The word I get is the team who owns the contract on the 15th of this month is the team that guarantees the 5 mil in 2010, but since it sounds like you have the contract in front of you;)....who knows??

For now, I will stick to my view.

What I said is exactly how the OBR article reads.

Archived