THE BROWNS BOARD

Building the lines is long term

Guest John McClane

Guest John McClane

We all know building a good team starts up front with the offensive and defensive lines. Our O and D-lines are clearly not up to par yet so why not draft the best OL or DL at 5 if we don't trade down? I personally would take Raji if he is there or the best OT. Which ever one we take we can still get quality linebackers in the 2nd with the two pick we have. I would not argue if we took a lineman with our first pick.

We all know building a good team starts up front with the offensive and defensive lines. Our O and D-lines are clearly not up to par yet so why not draft the best OL or DL at 5 if we don't trade down? I personally would take Raji if he is there and we don't trade down or the best OT. Which ever one we take we can still get quality linebackers in the 2nd with the two pick we have. I would not argue if we took a lineman with our first pick.

IMO, you are partly right. When you run a 3-4 defense you need to build the front 7. Offensive line and defensive front 7. some famous coach once said in order to win you must be strong up the middle on defense. DTs, ILBs and SS. Now that was before the 3-4 so I would say DL (NT and DEs), ILBs and SS. Our DL is fine especially if Robaire Smith is back to go along with Rogers and Williams. We sorely lact at ILB and SS and thus the reason we can't stop the run. We will never have a dominate defense and win consistently until we can stop the run.

I agree, on offense we need to upgrade center and find a prospect to coach up at RT.

BTW, RAji wopuld be a no for me. I would never spend a #5 pick on a DE in a read and react 3-4 defense. that is a non impact position. If I'm drafting at #5 I am drafting a impact player, a difference maker.

Guest John McClane
IMO, you are partly right. When you run a 3-4 defense you need to build the front 7. Offensive line and defensive front 7. some famous coach once said in order to win you must be strong up the middle on defense. DTs, ILBs and SS. Now that was before the 3-4 so I would say DL (NT and DEs), ILBs and SS. Our DL is fine especially if Robaire Smith is back to go along with Rogers and Williams. We sorely lact at ILB and SS and thus the reason we can't stop the run. We will never have a dominate defense and win consistently until we can stop the run.

I agree, on offense we need to upgrade center and find a prospect to coach up at RT.

I know we just picked up Mosley but I am still a little uneasy with the Rogers situation and would want an insurance policy considering how hard it is to find a good NT. Raji looks like a keeper.

I know we just picked up Mosley but I am still a little uneasy with the Rogers situation and would want an insurance policy considering how hard it is to find a good NT. Raji looks like a keeper.

Agree to disagree on Raji. Rogers will be here but everyone can get hurt. You don't spend a #% pick on a position in which you already have 3 players. Rubin needs to be coached up and to add strength, he is a project but worth keeping. Mosley can play NT as can S. Smith and Leonard. WE need LBs..............................

Guest John McClane
Agree to disagree on Raji. Rogers will be here but everyone can get hurt. You don't spend a #% pick on a position in which you already have 3 players. Rubin needs to be coached up and to add strength, he is a project but worth keeping. Mosley can play NT as can S. Smith and Leonard. WE need LBs..............................

I know we need a pass rusher so that's one, if we sign Barton do we still go after a ILB or do we wait and see what we have in Bell and go after a SS?

A top SS can be had in round 2. Barton is a stopgap, if he signs. He's an upgrade over Davis but not the impact player needed for that position. We need speed at LB, both inside and outside. I don't see the answer at ILB at the top of the draft, but If we can trade down, I would love Cushing for our SILB. He brings speed, cover ability and can also rush the passer. We need to put pressure on the QB if we trade down there are OLBs available in round 2.

What we do need is more draft picks, because we have a lot of holes and positions taht need upgraded.

Guest John McClane
A top SS can be had in round 2. Barton is a stopgap, if he signs. He's an upgrade over Davis but not the impact player needed for that position. We need speed at LB, both inside and outside. I don't see the answer at ILB at the top of the draft, but If we can trade down, I would love Cushing for our SILB. He brings speed, cover ability and can also rush the passer. We need to put pressure on the QB if we trade down there are OLBs available in round 2.

What we do need is more draft picks, because we have a lot of holes and positions taht need upgraded.

We don't have much to work with to get decent draft picks. Anderson is the only option I think of getting draft picks. We get rid Edwards then we have another hole to fill. Dump one QB and getsomemore picks. I'm still pissd they just let Jones walk. They could have gotten at least a 4th for him couldnt they?

Guest Aloysius
BTW, RAji wopuld be a no for me. I would never spend a #5 pick on a DE in a read and react 3-4 defense. that is a non impact position. If I'm drafting at #5 I am drafting a impact player, a difference maker.

Both of the Pats' starting DE's were early 1st Round picks: Seymour at #6 and Warren at #13.

There isn't a DE worth taking that high this year, but I think it's safe to say impact d-linemen are worth taking early in the 1st, even in a 3-4. If Oklahoma's Gerald McCoy had declared for the draft, he'd probably be up there with Aaron Curry at the top of our draft board.

Both of the Pats' starting DE's were early 1st Round picks: Seymour at #6 and Warren at #13.

There isn't a DE worth taking that high this year, but I think it's safe to say impact d-linemen are worth taking early in the 1st, even in a 3-4. If Oklahoma's Gerald McCoy had declared for the draft, he'd probably be up there with Aaron Curry at the top of our draft board.

I agree.

I agree with the theory of coaching up, but that usually doesn't work. To do that you have to assume a player hasn't been coached very well along the way.

I am sure that has happened in some cases, but NFL coaches don't have magic wands that all of a sudden turn a average guy in to a better than average player.

If a player was at a major program....and that isn't just the top 20 schools we could all name as major programs.....that's maybe another 200 schools....players get coached well enough that lack of coaching hasn't been deficient.

Bottom line is if you want good linemen, you better get them in the first 2 rounds.

See, they have something that can't be coached or bought....size and athleticism.....and those guys are pretty rare. To many times you have guys with one or the other....and no matter how much you coach them, they are always going to lack something.

We all know building a good team starts up front with the offensive and defensive lines JM

(not sure it's unanimous, even now)

Bless you. "snif"

But, Ya have to figure the Brows already have big money in the oline already, they have their left tackle.

Raji would be a great pick if Rodgers left via FA, or was traded "duh"

The first pick needs to be defense. Jenkins looks like a safety in the pros... lb.

Unless the Browns are certain Orakpo or Curry is absolutely the guy, trade down. Need extra picks in this draft.

We have a lot of unknown factor in our current LB situation with bell and hall i sometimes question taking a LB at #5..so im assuming most of our current defense will be replaced within 3 years but imo it needs to start at 2 of the front 3..

Robaire smith is just a big body his skillset is pretty much average to slightly below average and his age isnt helping...cory williams may or may not make a successful conversion to 3-4 DE so i think our front 3 needs a desperate retooling on both ends...and until this happens our outside linebackers are going to struggle with fast deep penetration by the opposing offensive linemen setting up runs and screens...williams can stand up pretty well for a guy that played hurt but robaire even when healthy gets knocked on his duff to easy making for a railroad express on his side..

Why would Rubin need to add strength? He is the strongest player on the team.

He needs coached up before, but by saying he needs to add strength YOU obviously don't pay attention to what they say about the kids strengths & weaknesses. His weakness is technique, not power.

There are so many holes to fill. there are NO bad picks.. only bad players that don't work out.. any position on this team can be upgraded. I have no problem taking the best player available. I would not complain if we took Crabtree at #5 if we feel he is best.. I am not saying that is who I want.. I am just saying we need guys who will be playmakers regardless of position. QB and TE are really the ony spots that don't make sense for us in the top 3 rounds.. anything else is fair game IMO

Archived