THE BROWNS BOARD

Running back 2009 Draft Preview

calfoxwc

http://sportsnation.espn.go.com/fans/Mohkt...log/posts/79857

Running Back 2009 Draft Preview

Posted 2 weeks ago

Now that I’ve watched the workouts at the Combine, seen the all-star games, watched some of the bowl games and looked at as many highlight reels as I could find online, I’ve broken down the running backs entering the NFL draft in 2009.

I’m not really looking at this exactly the same way as an NFL GM would. This all started for me as research for my dynasty football league, where we keep our entire roster and only draft players entering the NFL. As these things usually do for me, it soon became an obsession. As a result, some of your better 3rd-down backs and change-of-pace guys may be ranked a little lower than they will be on most NFL teams’ draft boards.

But what I was mostly looking for out of this year’s running backs are potential production at the next level, versatility, the odds of them seeing the field right away, and durability.

The numbers at the end of each prospect’s description include which round I expect them to go in the draft, and also what the ESPN Scouts, Inc., grade recently was. Also, “AAHM” means the player was an All-American Honorable Mention.

So enjoy!

1. Knowshon Moreno: Strong, instinctive, good receiver. Driven. Everything you want, except elite speed. 93

2. Chris Wells: Maybe better than Knowshon Moreno. Generally regarded the top back in the draft. North-south runner with vision and burst. May not be durable. Height may expose him to hard hits. But weighs 230 Lbs. Jamal Lewis-type. Rd. 1. 92

3. LeSean McCoy: Breaking Dorsett’s school records. Good size, speed, and all-around skills. Not very strong. Rd. 1-2. 90

4. Donald Brown: Excellent vision and burst. Tough inside runner with good size. Has good speed. An OK receiver. Needs to work on setting up blockers. AAHM. Rd. 1-2. 79

5. Shonn Greene: Powerhouse runner with good receiving skills. Below-average upper-body strength, but outstanding lower body. Good balance, but not elusive. 4.6 speed. Jerome Bettis type. Rd. 2. 83

6. Glen Coffee: Alabama. Adequate speed and quickness. Strong as can be, but thin lower body doesn’t let him move the pile. Plays mean. Good production in college, and is a good receiver. Has become a leader. Rd. 3-4. 74

7. Andre Brown: N. Car. Hard runner with quick burst. Great size. Very good short-yardage runner. Keeps feet moving and gets upfield fast. Sets up blockers well. Good receiver, but not elusive. Durability and academic issues. Rd. 3. 69

8. Rashad Jennings: Liberty. Hard runner with big size. Above-average speed & good hands. Strong, with good body lean. Sets up blockers well. Rd. 2-3. 64

9. Bernard Scott: Abilene Christian. Ultra-productive for a great small college offense. Put up 3,000 total yards in 2008 with 34 TDs. Very impressive at Texas vs. the Nation game. Good vision and quickness. Good body lean – always pointed downfield. Runs through tackles. Good balance. Adequate height (5’10") but should add 10 pounds. 25 years old. Rd. 7-FA. 35

10. Javon Ringer: Strong runner who gets better over time. 4.5 speed. An OK receiver. Hard worker. Rd. 2-3. 78

11. Jeremiah Johnson: Oregon. Quick and keeps himself pointed downfield. Good receiver with soft hands. Smart with good legs. Fairly hard to bring down. Seemed to dominate at Senior Bowl. Some durability issues. Rd. 3. 61

12. Cedric Peerman: Virginia. Good burst. Quick, athletic and strong. Fights for tough yardage. One of the strongest at Combine. Big back with very small hands – may have fumbling problems, and did fumble at Senior Bowl. Late-round prospect. Rd. 5-6. 50

13. Arian Foster: Tennessee. Injured at Senior Bowl practices. Rd. 4-5. 65

14. Devin Moore: Wyoming. Good speed. Average size. Good vision and quickness, with good competitiveness. Fumbled in Texas vs. the Nation game, but that wasn’t so much a problem in college. May be NFL change-of-pace back. Rd. 4-5. 58

15. James Davis: Clemson. Not a good receiver, bad routes and awareness. Good burst, but lacking vision to hit hole. Not quick. Has good forward lean, but can’t make people miss. Rd. 5-6. 67

16. Javarris Williams: Quick burst and elusiveness. Good receiver. Needs to improve patience. Keeps feet moving. Strong legs. Good size. Rd. 6. 51

17. Ian Johnson: Boise St. Great speed, vision and lateral mobility. Good receiver. Very productive in college. Upper-body strength, but doesn’t appear to move the pile. Average quickness. FA. 35

18. Gartrell Johnson: Colorado St. Great size, power, and balance. Good quickness. Very slow 4.7 speed. Good short-yardage back. Rd. 6. 50

19. Kory Sheets: Purdue. Good speed and balance. Has returner skills. Very productive receiver in college, and at Senior Bowl. Doesn’t move pile – not very strong. Doesn’t have great vision or game awareness. Rd. 6-7. 57

20. Marlon Lucky: Great Shrine Game. Sub-par instincts and vision. Productive early in college, but fell to 3rd on depth chart in 2008. Athletic, but average speed. Rd. 7-FA. 48

21. PJ Hill: Inside runner with good size. May not be durable. Rd. 7-FA. 54

22. Aaron Brown: Good vision and quickness. Has returner skills. Not very strong. Good 3rd-down back. Rd. 5. 52

23. Tyrell Sutton: Northwestern U. Shifty and elusive, with great work ethic and intelligence. Patient and sets up blockers. Not durable or strong. History of injuries. FA. 45

24. Yonus Davis: San Jose St. Very short, but stocky. Very quick, but not strong. Not very productive in college. Has good hands. Will probably be a 3rd-down back. FA.

25. Anthony Kimble: Stanford. Not explosive or strong. Wasn’t impressive at Texas vs. the Nation game. FA. 30

One thing about Moreno that sets him above many backs I have seen.

That guy gains more yards being 2 feet off the ground than any back I have ever seen. Time after time it looks like he is going down and he somehow manages to keep his feet going fast enough to gain 5 more yards out of nothing.

I hope the Browns stay away from this group. Don't burn a high draft pick on a RB when you you haven't given a player like Harrison a shot at getting 70% of the carries. This is a rebuilding year so let's see if Harrison can be that quality every down back that we no longer have in Lewis. If he works out then we won't have to worry too much about the position except for depth purposes.

If Harrison doesn't work out then you can look at the 2010 draft which is loaded with big, quality backs.

The Browns are not going to get everything they need in one draft. Let's fill more immediate needs. Defense. Linebacker's, DE and Safety.

I completely agree with Oldcows assesment of the RB situation. Harrison needs the full workload to see what he really has.

I wouldn't take a RB with any of our first three picks, I might take a flier on a guy in the 4th round if he's a good prospect that for whatever reason dropped on draft day. That's about it. Like cow, I say defense defense defense!

Of course Rich disagrees with this and says we should take a RB, but I don't agree with that considering we have a really good one already on the roster, he just wasn't given the workload last year.

I think if we just switched to a tandem backfield and split the carries between JL and JH we will be fine. Jamal still got over 1,000 yards last year......

i like ian johnson as a late-round/UDFA back. he's been productive throughout his career, has had 2 thousand-yard seasons, has a career average of 5.5 YPC, is a good receiver and is a character guy. plus, he posted good combine numbers. he's done nothing but be successful his entire career. at the very least, he's a good 3rd down back/3rd RB in a RBBC.

if we stick with lewis and harrison this year, johnson would be a good guy to bring in to complete our rotation. he'll be available late, will be a good complimentary player, and selecting him will allow us to focus on areas of greater need and more immediate impact without wasting a higher pick in what people are calling a weak RB draft.

BTW, Brown has been timed as low as 4.38 electronically and usually runs in the 4.4s. It's his explosion (hence the sick vertical) and nimble feet that scouts love. I fear he'll rise into round 1... but if he were there at 36, I'd be all over that. He's better than Forte.

I look at Brown as a Jerome Harrison clone. They are the same size. Brown is an inch taller and 5 pounds heavier.

Harrison ran a mid 4.4 coming out of College. Neither are really strong in the upper frame.....They remind me so much of each other!

The biggest difference is Brown's vertical.

I like Brown a lot, but I also like Sutton later on if we can address other things. To me, the argument about him being the same back as Harrison doesn't wash, what does it matter? Where is it written that you have to have one big back and one smaller one? If they can play, they can play, plus Sutton can catch the shit out of the rock and play specials while picking up the blitz.

Keep one thing in mind guys ie. JD, if Lewis is still around, he will not be cool about Harrison getting the bulk of the carries. I really foresee him being a cancer unless he's number one.

I really want to move on from him, but that's just me.

Guest Aloysius
I look at Brown as a Jerome Harrison clone. They are the same size. Brown is an inch taller and 5 pounds heavier.

I think DeAngelo Williams is a better comparison for Donald Brown. Like Shep, I think he's a late Round 1 guy. The Eagles would make a lot of sense.

i, too, want lewis gone and can't understand why the FO has kept him around as long as they have unless they're planning on sacrificing some cap room this year to not tip our hand in the draft, which is a shitty, stupid move.

not only may lewis become a clubhouse cancer if he's not getting the work he thinks he deserves, but he'll also leave yards on the field every time he touches the ball.

the only current problem with getting rid of lewis is that it leaves us with harrison and patrick allen as our only RBs, but having him on the roster is worse than getting rid of him, which is why i don't understand why he's not gone yet.

I think DeAngelo Williams is a better comparison for Donald Brown. Like Shep, I think he's a late Round 1 guy. The Eagles would make a lot of sense.

Really? I guess to each his own. I see Williams as being much thicker below the waist than the other two.

I think these two are very close. 1 inch and 5 lbs difference

I'm not sure if the guy on the right is going to give you so much more than the on the left that it's worth burning a high second round pick on.

Harrison34.jpg

Guest Aloysius

Those two pics kind of look alike. But if you found the right pics, you could put a picture of the just barely 200 pound guy we drafted in '06 next to the 205-210 pound running back on our roster and say, "Look, Jerome Harrison is much bigger than Jerome Harrison. I don't get why you're comparing Jerome Harrison to Jerome Harrison."

DeAngelo Williams is a tad thicker, but I'd hope that Brown would put on at least a little bulk once he gets in an NFL weight room.

Plus, I was focusing more on running style than height/weight measurements. Williams and Brown both lack elite long speed, but they make up for it with great cutting ability and the strength to gain yardage after contact. Both of them are more physical runners than Harrison; I love that Harrison is a fall-forward kind of back, but he doesn't have the same bowling ball & stiff arm ability that Brown has.

The comparison also extends to intangibles: both Williams and Brown are intelligent, charismatic guys who work well in front of the camera. There's a

of some of Brown's teammates trying to mess him up during an interview on media day. When Williams was coming out in the draft, it seemed like he was on ESPN every other day. And because neither are big ego types, that intelligence only raises their value to teams, as well as the likelihood that they'll succeed in the NFL.

To be sure, the comparison isn't one to one. Brown isn't as patient a runner as Williams - then again, some people criticized Williams for not being aggressive enough early in his career. And as you noted, Williams is a little bit stockier.

But I think the comparison holds true. When I first watched Cedric Peerman play, I thought to myself, "This guy's a poor man's Tiki Barber." DeAngelo Williams was the first name that came to mind when I watched Connecticut's bowl game, and the more I've watched of him, the more convinced I've become that the "poor man's" disclaimer isn't necessary. Brown may not be as good a pro as Williams, but he could come pretty close.

Anyway, Chic John's the guy who should be telling all of us about Brown. He's seen a lot more of him than we have, and he likes the Williams comparison. Zombo's Curtis Martin comparison is also interesting.

If we end up drafting Donald Brown, I think I'd be cool with anything within the Williams-Martin range :)

Brown is intriguing, but he will surely go in the late first round in a weak class of rb's.

Moreno will probably go about mid-first round.

I believe Terry Pluto said on Bruce Brennan's show tonight... that the Browns

can probably get two second round picks for DA.

Then you would be in great shape. Pluto also said they need two lb's, a db with their first three picks.

This is a great thread. Good job Cal providing the list of RB's. I am going to try my best to decide which of those RB's is worthy of our one pick. I will make the recommendation later. Like I said in the "Question for Rich Thread" right now I have Wells on my list but that can change.

And yes Inspecta we agree to disagree about drafting a RB. The Browns have stank since the eighties for the most part and have never had a threat at running back since the dynamic duo. Lero Hoard had his moments be fumbles and Willie Green did the dupa dance well and Droughns was well pedestrian as indicated by Rich from the gitgo and Jamal Lewis should be on Dancing with the Stars in a feature tap dance.

A team with only one serviceable back and unproven at that and zero offense needs to look hard at getting a feature running back.

Lewis should be traded for a draft pick or released paying him 6 million as his career winds down is not smart football

DeAngelo Williams is a tad thicker, but I'd hope that Brown would put on at least a little bulk once he gets in an NFL weight room.

I think this is the concern for him. That his frame will not allow him to gain much bulk. He's a big as he's going to get.

I stll don't think the value you'd get with Brown at #36 could be compared to the defensive players available at #36. Especially when you consider that we just don't know what we have in Harrison as the main ball carrier. Harrison has shown flashes of briliance and deserves the chance to be the main guy. I think most would agree with that. That being the case, why would we want to burn a high #2 on yet another back?

I've stated before that with this being a rebuilding year, wouldn't it make more sense to wait and see what we have with Harrison? If he isn't the guy that is going to carry the load for the Browns then go after a back in the 2010 draft which is deeper. Two guys that may be available in round two in 2010 is Legarrette Blount and the Scott kid from LSU. Both of whom I like better than Brown.

Guest Aloysius

Well, my hope was that Andre Brown or Cedric Peerman would slide to us in Round 4, but that doesn't seem likely after both of them lit up the Combine. Whether or not I'd be happy with Donald Brown at #36 would depend on which defensive players were available at that spot. Either way, I don't expect him to get out of Round 1.

And I'm not sure about Harrison being the "main guy" - yes, he should get more touches, but would bringing in a RB in the 2nd Round to split time with him be such a bad thing? If Lewis is cut and/or Harrison gets hurt, would you be satisfied with Jason Wright toting the rock 25 times a game? Or a Day 2 guy like P.J. Hill or Arian Foster? We really need to find out whether Jamal's sticking around before we reject the idea of taking a RB at #36.

Yes, I know; I was assuming that if Lewis were cut or one of the backs got hurt, he might be a guy we'd turn to.

I don't see any reason to even risk harrison as the feature back. We need a bruiser / slasher tandem. Just frickin keep jamal. We can talk about drafting a big back to groom, or wait till next year and just replace jamal. But its not like the guy can't play football anymore.

I don't see any reason to even risk harrison as the feature back. We need a bruiser / slasher tandem. Just frickin keep jamal. We can talk about drafting a big back to groom, or wait till next year and just replace jamal. But its not like the guy can't play football anymore.

This is what I'd like to see happen as well. Give Harrison 180 to 200 carries. If he ends up being a solid #1 back he could get a few more. Lewis could get 100 to 150 carries depending on Harrison's success.

Speaking of big brusing type of backs, it's why I like the Scott kid from LSU. Or Blount out of Oregon. He's a monster.

Well, my hope was that Andre Brown or Cedric Peerman would slide to us in Round 4, but that doesn't seem likely after both of them lit up the Combine. Whether or not I'd be happy with Donald Brown at #36 would depend on which defensive players were available at that spot. Either way, I don't expect him to get out of Round 1.

And I'm not sure about Harrison being the "main guy" - yes, he should get more touches, but would bringing in a RB in the 2nd Round to split time with him be such a bad thing? If Lewis is cut and/or Harrison gets hurt, would you be satisfied with Jason Wright toting the rock 25 times a game? Or a Day 2 guy like P.J. Hill or Arian Foster? We really need to find out whether Jamal's sticking around before we reject the idea of taking a RB at #36.

I really do think it would be a bad thing considering the huge holes we have on defense and considering some of the really good defensive players that will be there at #36a nd at #50

I'm not a huge fan of an elite tailback being necessary for taking you to the promised land. Neither of these two teams in this year's super bowl had an elite type back. The Patriot teams were solid but never elite with the likes of an aging Corey Dillon or Kevin Faulk. Defense, defense, defense.

As I have said, I'd look for the second tailback in 2010.

Ther are any number of guys I like there. Kruger, Barwin, Maybin, Hood, Laurinaitis, English, Chung.

Actually a combination of any of these two would thrill me at #36 and #50. Barwin at #36 and Hood at #50?

Guest Aloysius

Hey, you don't need to convince me to go all out building our defense. As you can probably tell from all the Curry fandom, it's the side of the ball I get really excited about. I'm just saying that Brown, a late Round 1 guy, might be too good to pass up if he's available at #36, especially if we end up dumping Lewis.

I like English and Hood. Kruger's 4.8 40 doesn't excite me much, especially since I haven't seen him show much explosiveness (though I haven't seen a lot of him). Also, he only has one kidney, which is considered by some to be a medical red flag.

Yes, I know; I was assuming that if Lewis were cut or one of the backs got hurt, he might be a guy we'd turn to.

i don't understand why we haven't resigned him already. despite his shortcomings, wright's a decent 3rd down back. i wouldn't want him getting 15 carries in a game, but he picks up blitzers well and can catch the ball better than any other back on the team.

as far as lewis goes, we can better spend the money we'd save by cutting him. while i agree with the bruiser/slasher combo, lewis isn't bruising anyone anymore. he can't generate the momentum to be a punishing back and has essentially turned into ron dayne. it would leave us thin at RB, but even nick goings is a comparable back to late-career jamal lewis, and he's on the market right now.

Hey, you don't need to convince me to go all out building our defense. As you can probably tell from all the Curry fandom, it's the side of the ball I get really excited about. I'm just saying that Brown, a late Round 1 guy, might be too good to pass up if he's available at #36, especially if we end up dumping Lewis.

I like English and Hood. Kruger's 4.8 40 doesn't excite me much, especially since I haven't seen him show much explosiveness (though I haven't seen a lot of him). Also, he only has one kidney, which is considered by some to be a medical red flag.

I guess my thinking is that there are so many big time, high quality guys on defense in the first 50 picks that this is the year you can't draft anything but defense. I think Connor Barwin would be a much bigger steal at #36. When I watch highlights of this kid I just love his athleticism. Between his speed on the rush and even his abilty to block kicks the kid could be a great one. If he and Brown would both be there at #36 I'd be all over Barwin.

I like Hood a lot too. It'll be interesting to see where he goes. I've seen him in mocks go as high as 32 to the Steelers and as low as late 2nd round.

Guest Aloysius

Unfortunately, Tyrell Sutton wasn't able to improve upon his Combine numbers at his pro day. He ran two 40's timed at 4.66 and 4.68 seconds. He also posted a 30" vertical, three inches lower than he jumped at the Combine.

He's probably locked in as a 7th Round/UDFA type.

EDIT: A different source has Sutton running 4.57 and 4.67 40's.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius

According to TFY Draft, Shonn Greene had a very good pro day. He ran his 40 between 4.53 and 4.56 seconds, posted a 39" vertical and a 10'6" broad jump.

I completely agree. What we have at RB now is unproven and we still have the veteran Lewis to guide Harrison and Allen Patrick along. I would like to see CJ Spiller in a Browns uni :)

I like Spiller a lot too. He reminds me so much of the Titan's Chris Johnson.

The little stutter step he can make to get players to miss is really special.

He's so interesting to watch because I think he looks stiff in the hips but yet he's great at making players miss.

Archived