THE BROWNS BOARD

Sporting News Mock Draft

Geech

1. Detroit Lions - Everette Brown, DE, Florida State

Why Brown at No. 1? The Lions believe they have too many holes to grab a quarterback with the top pick, so they gamble on Brown becoming a pass rusher in the mold of Dwight Freeney.

2. St. Louis Rams - Jason Smith, OT, Baylor

Baylor's Smith emerges as draft's best offensive tackle. The Rams need one to replace Orlando Pace, who is likely to be released soon. Smith, who is coming off a good pro day Tuesday, has more upside than Virginia's Monroe.

3. Kansas City Chiefs - B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College

Raji is the next step in the Patriot-izing of the Chiefs. Kansas City already has New England's quarterback in Matt Cassel; now it needs a big defensive tackle to anchor its new 3-4.

4. Seattle Seahawks - Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest

'Hawks can pass on Crabtree. With the signing of former Bengal T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Seattle can now afford to focus on defense with the fourth pick.

5. Cleveland Browns - Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia

Why Stafford to the Browns? Cleveland has quarterbacks Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn, but as long neither stands out to coach Eric Mangini, the team really has none. Mangini can attach himself to the franchise of QB of his choosing.

6. Cincinnati Bengals - Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia

Monroe is needed to replace Levi Jones in Cincinnati to protect Carson Palmer.

7. Oakland Raiders - Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

Raiders can't pass on Crabtree. Oakland is short on consistent, athletic playmakers, especially a big-time No. 1 receiver for big-armed JaMarcus Russell. But will an un-dazzling 40 time keep Al Davis away?

8. Jacksonville Jaguars - Andre Smith, OT, Alabama

Andre Smith is needed to replace Khalif Barnes to protect David Garrard.

9. Green Bay Packers - Larry English, DE, Northern Illinois

Packers stick with English. It's the only thing that stayed the same from the previous mock draft, as Green Bay has been quiet in signing edge-rushing veterans for its move to the 3-4.

10. San Francisco 49ers - Mark Sanchez, QB, USC

Sanchez goes from 1 to 10. The 49ers had only Alex Smith and Shaun Hill to choose from, but after they sign former Chief Damon Huard and potentially draft the USC star, it will help Mike Singletary single out a starter.

What of big names not in the top 10? Ohio State running back Chris Wells goes at No. 16, to the Chargers, as the eventual replacement to LaDainian Tomlinson, and then the Patriots get a marquee runner in Georgia's Knowshown Moreno at 23. ... The Jets now should nab Missouri wide receiver Jeremy Maclin at No. 17 to help replace Laveranues Coles. ... At No. 26, the Ravens are tied with Florida star Percy Harvin, added much-needed firepower around Joe Flacco.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29519278/

I tried to get the whole mock at sportingnews.com, but you gotta pay 4.99/month, and I'm not paying for this kind of crap.

-Al

Guest Aloysius

To me, the Curry pick at #4 is even more shocking. I could get someone thinking that ManKok wouldn't like either of our QB's, but the Seahawks have two linebackers signed to deals with a combined $36.5M in guaranteed money, as well as a third linebacker playing on a guaranteed $8.6M franchise tag. With that in mind, how the hell are they going to justify paying a fourth linebacker close to $10M per year? It makes no sense.

Guest Aloysius

They reportedly offered Hill a 6 year, $36M deal, which he turned down, so they tagged him. Apparently, some within the organization believe that Hill is better than Tatupu and Peterson, which is saying something.

It looks the the cheeba was in full effect for picks 1-5... not as far fetched after that though.

Alcohol leads to bad decisions, not pot.

Pot leads to munchies and sex.

I tried to get the whole mock at sportingnews.com, but you gotta pay 4.99/month, and I'm not paying for this kind of crap.

-Al

Most mock draft on the average have 5-6 correct picks each year, most of these guys are just taking guesses

Look at guys like Kiper and Mayock they only have 4 or 5 correct each year and those are usually the 1st 5 or 6 picks and the average fan could pick those correct

Look at those guys reviews of the players and how they project them in the NFL and most of the time they are not even close to being right, these guys are getting paid for being wrong 80% of the time LOL

Wow....There isn't much on any on that list that makes sense.

The only thing I like is at the end where he has Wells going to the Chargers. Of course this depends on the current situation with LT.

If the Chargers do end up keeping LT, I can't see them having Sproles, LT and Wells all on the roster.

Guest John McClane

I really don't see why we would pick offense unless it was a lineman. Even if we go defense and take a linebacker at the #5 spot how could he impact our defense? There are too many holes to fill. Alot can happen between now and the draft but right now we have concerns at SS and is Shaun Rogers gonna lay down cuz he can't get along with Mangini? If Rogers doesn't show up for games then drafting linebackers dosn't matter. It all starts up front and if we don't trade down I would seriously go with the safer pick and go either o-line or d-line. I know some of the top linebackers on my list will still be there with our next pick. Then we can go safety with the other pick in the second.

Guest Aloysius
Most mock draft on the average have 5-6 correct picks each year, most of these guys are just taking guesses

Look at guys like Kiper and Mayock they only have 4 or 5 correct each year and those are usually the 1st 5 or 6 picks and the average fan could pick those correct

I'm pretty sure it's higher than that. IIRC, Heck and Solon both got near or up to double digits when they crushed me in the mock draft competition last year.

I've been plotting my revenge ever since...

IF that highly unlikely scenario plays out I would have to boycott going to the games this year. Than again I suppose it depends on all of the details... if we got another first fot Da or bq and somehow parlayed that into getting curry or something.... two first round draft picks and 2 second rounders would be ok by me depending of course on the details.

Archived