THE BROWNS BOARD

Defensive Rookie Of The Year Previous Years

Sony Reed

Just looking at the past years it seems the top defensive player drafted is not always the best defensive player in that years class and a look at the last 6 Defensive Rookies of The year show they were all linebackers and other than Suggs and Mayo none were selected in the top 10 of the draft.

2008 .......Jerod Mayo......10th

2007........Patrick Willis 11th

2006........DeMeco Ryans 33rd (2nd round)

2005........Shawne Merriman...12th

2004........Jonathan Vilma.......12th

2003........Terrell Suggs..........10th

2008, here is a list of defensive players that were selected before Mayo: Chris Long, Glen Dorsey, Vernon Gholston, Sederick Ellis, Keith Rivers, Derrick Harvey Other 1st round selections in that draft Leodis Mckelvin, Dominique Cromartie Rodgers, Aqib Talib, Mike Jenkins, Antoine Cason, Lawrence Jackson and Kentwan Balmer.

2007, Gaines Adams, LaRon Landry, Jamal Anderson, Amobi Okoye, Adam Carriker, Darrelle Revis, Lawrence Timmons, Justin Harrell, Leon Hall, Michael Griffin, Aaron Ross, Reggie Nelson, Jon Beason, Brandon Merriweather and Anthony Spencer. Some good players but the only standout players IMO are Jon Beason, LaRon Landty and Lawrence Timmons

2006 Defensive players selected in 1st round: Mario Williams, Michael Huff, Donte Whitner, Ernie Sims, Kamerion Wimbley, Haloti Ngata, Broderick Bunkley, Tye Hill, Jason Allen, Chad Greenway, Bobby Carpenter, Tamba Hali, Manny Lawson, Jonathan Joseph, John McCargo, Kelly Jennings, Matias Kiwanuka

Some real bust in that draft such as Wimbley, Bobby Carpenter, Tye Hill, Tamba Hali, Manny Lawson, John McCargo

This is another reason if we could trade down it would be much better for the Browns and pickup some additional picks, I just don't see much difference in this draft from number 10-25 selections

and a look at the last 6 Defensive Rookies of The year show they were all linebackers and other than Suggs and Mayo none were selected in the top 10 of the draft.

2008 .......Jerod Mayo......10th

2007........Patrick Willis 11th

2006........DeMeco Ryans 33rd (2nd round)

2005........Shawne Merriman...12th

2004........Jonathan Vilma.......12th

2003........Terrell Suggs..........10th

I too am confused, but for a different reason. Your point on not drafting a defender in the top 10 is kind of ridiculous when you show Willis (11), Merriman and Vilma (both 12), where Mayo and Suggs were right at 10. Nitpicking, really...

Mayo, Willis, Merriman, etc. ended up being the best defenders in their respective drafts, true, but, in retrospect, would it have been a mistake to draft Suggs or Merriman at 5? If Curry is indeed deemed the best defensive player in the draft and we cannot get out of 5, why would we not select him? Because he'll bust at 5 and become DPOY at 11? Come on.

I'm confused: before you were arguing that Willis isn't an impact player, but now you're saying he was the best defensive player in the draft.

I have said all along that if you draft Aaron Curry to play inside linebacker and use the number 5 pick that would be a mistake, now if you want to draft Curry at #5 and play him at outside linebacker then I have no problem with that because you are taking advantage of everything he has to offer. I don't understand why everyone thinks kamerion Wimbley should be given a job at outside linebacker, what has this guy done since his rookie season?

Regarding Willis I said as a inside linebacker he has not really made a impact to the 49ers defense, the point was to show that each year the defensive ROY has been a linebacker and not one of the top defensive players selected in the draft, Willis is a good player but NO he is not a impact player and I would not have drafted him at #5 but he was drafted at #11 as a inside linebacker which is where I feel any inside linebacker should be drafted not top 5.

When you look at that list you see the past 3 ROY's were inside LB's selected 10th, 11th and 33rd, the last inside linebacker selected before 10th was A.J. Hawk and he has been a solid player but nothing like the hype he had coming out of Ohio St, also I believe Ernie Sims may have went #9 to the Lions in 2006

BTW, Jon Beason will go down as the best defensive player in the 2007 draft IMO

I too am confused, but for a different reason. Your point on not drafting a defender in the top 10 is kind of ridiculous when you show Willis (11), Merriman and Vilma (both 12), where Mayo and Suggs were right at 10. Nitpicking, really...

Mayo, Willis, Merriman, etc. ended up being the best defenders in their respective drafts, true, but, in retrospect, would it have been a mistake to draft Suggs or Merriman at 5? If Curry is indeed deemed the best defensive player in the draft and we cannot get out of 5, why would we not select him? Because he'll bust at 5 and become DPOY at 11? Come on.

Curry ONLY has a outside linebacker would be good at #5, you don't spend the money you will have to pay Curry to have him just be a banger in the run game unless you are going to switch his position with DQ, but I would play him on the outside and utilize his skills.

Also how much better will Curry be than Orapko or Cushings or even Clay 111? If we could trade down and get Orapko, Cushing, Rey Rey or Clay 111 and get a extra 3rd round pick are you telling me Curry alone is better than ?

When you look at that list you see the past 3 ROY's were inside LB's selected 10th, 11th and 33rd, the last inside linebacker selected before 10th was A.J. Hawk and he has been a solid player but nothing like the hype he had coming out of Ohio St, also I believe Ernie Sims may have went #9 to the Lions in 2006

BTW, Jon Beason will go down as the best defensive player in the 2007 draft IMO

While Hawk played inside at OSU, he's been playing outside for the Pack.

Hawk has been close to the hype. We just don't hear that much about him due to his being in Green Bay. He has lead the Packers in tackles two of the three years there, including this year when he was banged up for a lot of the year.

The year he didn't lead them in tackles he was 2nd with 105.

While Hawk played inside at OSU, he's been playing outside for the Pack.

Hawk has been close to the hype. We just don't hear that much about him due to his being in Green Bay. He has lead the Packers in tackles two of the three years there, including this year when he was banged up for a lot of the year.

The year he didn't lead them in tackles he was 2nd with 105.

Andra Davis made alot of tackles........tackles is a stat that are overrated because we don't know where those tackles are made

Just keep hearing the Packers are not happy with Hawk and he's not happy with the scheme they had him playing

Fact is everyone said he would be a star in this league and he's not close to that type of player, solid but nothing spectacular, he's not as good as D'Qwell Jackson IMO

Just keep hearing the Packers are not happy with Hawk and he's not happy with the scheme they had him playing

I've heard other people say this and I've yet to read anything or see anything on TV about the Packers being unhappy or that Hawk is unhappy with them.

Is there an article you can direct me too?

Archived