THE BROWNS BOARD

Pace Let Go

Zombo

Rams don't keep Pace: Cutting him saves $6 million in cap space

Associated Press

ST. LOUIS -- Orlando Pace, a seven-time Pro Bowl offensive tackle dogged by injuries in recent seasons, was released by St. Louis on Tuesday.

Orlando Pace, OT

St. Louis Rams

Career Statistics

Seasons: 12

Games Played: 158

Games Started: 154

The move clears $6 million in salary-cap space for the Rams, who were 2-14 last season and own the No. 2 overall pick in next month's NFL draft.

Team owner Chip Rosenbloom said in a statement that Pace, who was the first overall pick in the 1997 draft, would be remembered as "one of the finest Rams of all time." Pace, 33, started 14 games last season, but he missed half of 2007 and virtually all of 2006 due to injuries.

"I can't begin to thank Orlando for all he has meant to the Rams organization," Rosenbloom added in the statement. "It is never easy to end a relationship that has had as much success as ours, but in the interest of Orlando and the Rams, we feel now is the right time."

Pace was the first offensive lineman chosen No. 1 overall since the Minnesota Vikings took Ron Yary in the 1968 draft. The Rams dealt four draft picks -- a first-, a third-, a fourth- and a seventh-rounder -- to the New York Jets for the right to move up five spots on draft day and select Pace.

The former Ohio State University star was selected to seven consecutive Pro Bowls from 1999 to 2005 and started in two Super Bowls, including the franchise's lone title after the 1998 season.

Addressing needs

After releasing Orlando Pace, the Rams might be joining the growing list of teams who could go after a young offensive tackle in the draft, Pat Kirwin writes. More ...

Pace's Pro Bowl haul is tied with Jack Youngblood for fourth in franchise history. Only Hall of Famers Merlin Olsen (14) and Tom Mack (11) and linebacker Les Richter (8) were selected to more all-star games. Pace also blocked for three consecutive league MVPs from 1999 to 2001 -- quarterback Kurt Warner in 1999 and 2001 and running back Marshall Faulk in 2000.

"Orlando Pace has been a mainstay on the Rams' offensive line since he was drafted in 1997, and he has proven to be one of the most efficient offensive tackles throughout his career," Rams general manager Billy Devaney said in the statement released by the team.

The Rams also are considering releasing another longtime star, wide receiver Torry Holt, in a move that would save them an additional $8 million in salary-cap space.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Zombo

I'd just like to point out Pace has been one of the best to play the left I've ever seen.

That being said he's just not been able to stay healthy over the past few seasons to justify his price.

I think he should hang up his cleats right now and go out with some dignity.

I'd just like to point out Pace has been one of the best to play the left I've ever seen.

That being said he's just not been able to stay healthy over the past few seasons to justify his price.

I think he should hang up his cleats right now and go out with some dignity.

....And he should've been the first interior lineman to win the Heisman....He finished fourth. He was the most dominant player in college football by a long shot. Danny Wuerfful wins it that year. What a freakin' joke.

He will go down as one of the top 10 linemen in the history of the NFL

Rams don't keep Pace: Cutting him saves $6 million in cap space

Associated Press

ST. LOUIS -- Orlando Pace, a seven-time Pro Bowl offensive tackle dogged by injuries in recent seasons, was released by St. Louis on Tuesday.

The Rams also are considering releasing another longtime star, wide receiver Torry Holt, in a move that would save them an additional $8 million in salary-cap space.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Zombo

LOL, I"m waiting for Stan to say we need to put Holt on Lerner's private jet the second the Rams cut him. Haven't seen much of him lately, but wonder how he'd fit in as our #2 guy. Would depend how much he wants to play.

BTW had a long talk last Friday with a guy who's a St. Louis native, and a huge Rams fan. His opinion is if Detroit doesn't take Curry, they will- the Rams D sucked as bad as ours.

Bring in my hometown boy! If the price is right of course. I think we'd get what's left in his tank with him playing just up the road from home.

DWJ

Bring in my hometown boy! If the price is right of course. I think we'd get what's left in his tank with him playing just up the road from home.

DWJ

Hell, I'd love to have him here to only play in the 2nd half of games, cut his injury risk in half and punish the defense at the same time.

....And he should've been the first interior lineman to win the Heisman....He finished fourth. He was the most dominant player in college football by a long shot. Danny Wuerfful wins it that year. What a freakin' joke.

He will go down as one of the top 10 linemen in the history of the NFL

I concur. Totally dominating.

Just to put this in perspective though, as great as he was and a man among boys, I would say Thomas had a better rookie year coming into the league than Pace. That really says a lot about JT.

DWJ

Hey I've always liked Orlando- but he's always played left tackle- we don't need one. :) And we don't need any more guys that are a breakdown risk- we already have that in Tucker.

Hey I've always liked Orlando- but he's always played left tackle- we don't need one. :) And we don't need any more guys that are a breakdown risk- we already have that in Tucker.

If they could all stay healthy the full season... I would LOVE TO SEE our line look like...

thomas steinbach hadnot tucker pace

Pretty sure jamal could get 1300 again, behind that wall.

Jason smith or eugene monroe a lock at #2 now!!!

I wouldn't be so sure- the Rams D was second only to De-toilet in points allowed. MY insider Rams friend says it's Curry.

One more reason why we have 6 and yinz are still stuck in the gate.

How's that NBA franchise doing?....Oh wait...You don't have one.

Well, then I can ask about that baseball franchise...Oh wait....You might as well not have one of those. The most worthless organization in all of sport.

I wouldn't give up my love of Cleveland sports for all 6 of those Steeler championships. Don't think I'm kidding about that. It's absolutely the truth. Evey time I hear about 400 people watching the Pirates lose their 97th game, or when I realize th city can barely support a hockey franchise while not at all being able to support an NBA franchise, I feel very happy about being a Cleveland fan.

That is all Pittsburgh has. That's it. That is sad for a city that size. It speaks volumes about the town and the people. The Steelers win because of class ownership. The rest of the city and surrounding area is a worthless cesspool in line for goverment handouts..

Archived