THE BROWNS BOARD

Elam Offered

EERSandBROWNS

Per PFT

When Browns coach Eric Mangini isn’t signing unrestricted free agents who played for him with the Jets, Mangini is courting New York’s restricted free agents.

Per a league source, defensive back Abram Elam has signed a one-year, $1.5 million offer sheet with the Browns.

Elam, an undrafted free agent in 2006, was tendered at the lowest level — one year, $1.01 million. The Jets have a right of first refusal. But since Elam wasn’t drafted, the Jets will receive no compensation if they opt not to match.

The Jets will have seven days to decide whether to meet the offer and keep Elam.

Guest Aloysius

Does anyone think the Jets won't match a $1.5M offer? Seems to me that Mangini did one of his old players a favor by getting him another $500k, but it doesn't seem like this will end with Elam in a Browns jersey.

Does anyone think the Jets won't match a $1.5M offer? Seems to me that Mangini did one of his old players a favor by getting him another $500k, but it doesn't seem like this will end with Elam in a Browns jersey.

Completely agree. I thought the number was a little low when I first looked at it. But, the Jets do have a number of safeties and may not want to spend that much on another who might just be a back up. I don't know...just trying to make sense of it.

This is from Rotoworld....

The Browns have reportedly signed restricted free agent S Abram Elam to a one-year, $1.5 million offer sheet.

The Jets were willing to retain Elam for the $1.01M low tender, but it's hard to say if they'll match. Rex Ryan has no history with him and the Jets are well set at safety with former third-round pick Eric Smith behind Jim Leonhard and Kerry Rhodes. They'll have to decide if a fourth safety is worth $1.5 million.

Guest Aloysius

That's a good point. On the other hand, Eric Smith is only signed for one more year and suffered three concussions last year. If Rex Ryan wants reliable safety depth, Smith may not be the guy.

Well taking players from the Patriots and Ravens for the last 4 years didn't get us anywhere, may as well start picking from the Jets and see what happens.

If Elam signs do we still go after a safety in the draft? If so do we wait until a later round or take one in the second?

You can look for a guy like Chip Vaughn a little later in the draft. But, he won't be there in the 5th round so we still need to aquire some more draft picks.

Guest Aloysius
You can look for a guy like Chip Vaughn a little later in the draft. But, he won't be there in the 5th round so we still need to aquire some more draft picks.

Yeah, Vaughn's likely worked his way up to 3rd Round consideration. He had an incredible Combine: 4.42 40, 4.12 shuttle, 37" vertical, 21 reps of 225. In terms of athletic ability, he's very similar to the type of athlete Sean Jones was coming out of college, but he's not very good in coverage or much of a ballhawk.

And here's a report from Oklahoma's pro day:

The big story to come out of Norman, Okla., on Tuesday was Nic Harris’ continued slow times in the 40-yard dash. The 6-foot-2 and 7/8-inch safety followed up a slow time in the 40 at last month’s NFL Scouting Combine with another slow time at the University of Oklahoma’s pro day. He ran it twice — both in 4.83 seconds.

Working in Harris’ favor is that he has an amazing backpedal — it seems as if he can run the 40 backwards as fast as he can run it forward. But as Mike Mayock pointed out on NFL Network’s Path to the Draft show today, Harris might be better suited as a weakside linebacker in the NFL.

We can probably scratch him off the list.

Yeah, Vaughn's likely worked his way up to 3rd Round consideration. He had an incredible Combine: 4.42 40, 4.12 shuttle, 37" vertical, 21 reps of 225. In terms of athletic ability, he's very similar to the type of athlete Sean Jones was coming out of college, but he's not very good in coverage or much of a ballhawk.

And here's a report from Oklahoma's pro day:

We can probably scratch him off the list.

I agree with you and Mayock on him. Vaughn has caught my interest. I just wonder if they are serious about using Cribbs on defense. The way they are going after FAs with special teams skills it looks like they want to free him up from some of the special teams coverage teams.

Archived