THE BROWNS BOARD

Robert Ayers

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

Tennessee's pro day is today, and I expect the Browns will have scouts there watching Robert Ayers. The 6'3", 273 pound pass rusher wasn't extremely productive in his one year starting in college, but he proved at the Senior Bowl that he's got the ability to make an impact at the next level. With a decent burst and strong hands, Ayers could play a Justin Tuck-like role for a 4-3 team, but he may also be athletic enough to play 3-4 OLB.

According to one report, Ayers looked good in LB drills at the Combine, and I'm sure the scouts will put him through some more extensive linebacker work today. Also, he'll be looking to improve on his Combine numbers: his 4.77 40 was a bit disappointing, and Mel Kiper thinks he's a 4.6-something 40 away from moving up to the 1st Round. Hopefully, he times wells...but not well enough that he won't be available in the second round.

Mike Mayock keeps raving about how good Ayers looked in the Alabama game. After watching these highlights, you can definitely see why (Ayers is #91):

Larger clip here

Tennessee's pro day is today, and I expect the Browns will have scouts there watching Robert Ayers. The 6'3", 273 pound pass rusher wasn't extremely productive in his one year starting in college, but he proved at the Senior Bowl that he's got the ability to make an impact at the next level. With a decent burst and strong hands, Ayers could play a Justin Tuck-like role for a 4-3 team, but he may also be athletic enough to play 3-4 OLB.

According to one report, Ayers looked good in LB drills at the Combine, and I'm sure the scouts will put him through some more extensive linebacker work today. Also, he'll be looking to improve on his Combine numbers: his 4.77 40 was a bit disappointing, and Mel Kiper thinks he's a 4.6-something 40 away from moving up to the 1st Round. Hopefully, he time wells...but not well enough that he won't be available in the second round.

Mike Mayock keeps raving about how good Ayers looked in the Alabama game. After watching these highlights, you can definitely see why (Ayers is #91):

Larger clip here

God i hate that I cant see most videos at work :(

Guest Aloysius

Yeah, he's most likely a 4-3 end who sometimes reduces inside on passing downs. But considering that Mangini likes his edge guys big, he could be a possibility for us in the 2nd Round.

He'd definitely be able to set the edge, but I'm not sure he's athletic enough to drop into coverage. We should find out more today: he could have a Derrick Harvey-like workout and have teams talking about him as a 3-4 OLB.

Guest Aloysius

Most mocks I've seen have him going somewhere between 20 and 40. We'll know more after his pro day, but I don't think he's a top 20 guy.

Guest Aloysius

Ayers decided not to run another 40 today. He did shuttle drills and worked out at both defensive end and linebacker. He has private workouts scheduled with a few teams, one of which is planning on running a hybrid/3-4 defense (Denver).

Running back Arian Foster didn't show up to his pro day. He's been battling a hamstring injury suffered at the Senior Bowl, but his no-show just feeds into concerns about the guy's durability and character. As of now, he's probably a late round pick.

Guest Aloysius
I do...the only issue is he only has one year of tape...but had a Great senior year, senior bowl. in fact was a force at the senior bowl. beat up Andre smith. we'll see but i think he goes in first no doubt!

I really like Ayers, but he only notched 3 sacks last year - he was good, not great. Until he blew up at the Senior Bowl, people were talking about him as a 3rd Round pick.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius

Scout.com's Adam Caplan is hearing that the Browns really like Ayers. I doubt he's an option at #5, but he could be one if they somehow engineer a trade down to the late teens.

Here's some more footage of Ayers:

Guest Aloysius

He may be picked that high, though he lacks the production you'd expect from a top 20 pick.

The more interesting aspect of this is that he's apparently being considered as a 3-4 OLB prospect. And I kind of agree with Heck; he doesn't have the quickness or loose hips you'd like to see in a guy who'll be playing in space. However, he should do a good job setting the edge in the run game, which may be what Mangini's most interested in.

Archived