THE BROWNS BOARD

Curry, Jason Smith lead elite tier

BernietheKid

Curry, Jason Smith lead elite tier Nicks, Laurinaitis, McCoy on edge of first round

By Todd McShay

Originally Published: March 11, 2009

All 32 NFL draft rooms are fully stocked with prospect rankings -- both by-position and regardless-of-position -- when draft day rolls around. General managers package these rankings in a number of different ways in order to streamline the information and help maintain perspective. This is critical during the stressful and sometimes frantic 30-plus hour stretch known as draft weekend.

The "Stacking the Board" document we have shared with you in the past -- and will make available once again on ESPN.com in early April -- is an excellent example of one way to organize rankings. It gives the evaluator a quick way to compare player values round-by-round and from one position to the next.

The "Tier Rankings" document is yet another tool general managers can utilize to maintain perspective of the strengths and weaknesses of a given class.

Since the draft has been broken into two days and seven rounds for several years now, it has been commonplace for a prospect to be labeled as a "second-rounder" or a "Day 2 player." The problem is, these categorizations are too broad.

Tier rankings should be more specific in order to make them more trustworthy during crunch time. The key is allowing the skill levels of the players to dictate the size of a given tier. For example, I believe this year's Elite tier is three players deep, compared to six players for last year's Elite group.

If followed properly, the tier rankings serve two important purposes. First, they can help a team avoid reaching to fill a need at a certain position. Second, they provide a clearer sense of trade value in a given draft. While the commonly used Trade Value Chart is helpful, it must be adjusted annually to match the strength of each draft class, and that's where the tiers come into play.

While the rankings below will change slightly between now and April 25, this is an early look at what I consider to be the top seven tiers of talent in the 2009 class. This is not a mock draft, nor is it a reflection of where I think a player will be selected. It's simply my view on where the top prospects rank in relation to the overall strength of the 2009 draft class.

TIER I: Elite prospects

Player Position School HT WT 40 Grade

Aaron Curry OLB Wake Forest 6-1⅝ 254 4.56 97

Jason Smith OT Baylor 6-5 309 5.22 97

Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech 6-1⅜ 215 -- 97

TIER II: Top-10 worthy

Brian Orakpo DE Texas 6-3 263 4.70 96

B.J. Raji DT Boston College 6-1½ 337 5.23 96

Eugene Monroe OT Virginia 6-5¼ 309 5.31 95

Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri 6-0⅛ 198 4.48 95

Matthew Stafford QB Georgia 6-2¼ 225 4.85 95

TIER III: Top-20 worthy

Aaron Maybin DE Penn State 6-3¾ 249 4.89 94

Mark Sanchez QB USC 6-2⅛ 227 5.00 94

Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State 6-0⅛ 204 4.59 94

Andre Smith OT Alabama 6-4 332 -- 94

Tyson Jackson DE LSU 6-4⅛ 296 5.00 93

Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia 5-10⅝ 217 4.62 93

Percy Harvin WR Florida 5-11⅛ 192 4.41 93

TIER IV: Mid-to-late first round

Rey Maualuga ILB USC 6-1¾ 249 4.91 92

Michael Oher OT Mississippi 6-4½ 309 5.35 92

Clay Matthews OLB USC 6-3⅛ 240 4.67 92

Everette Brown DE Florida State 6-1½ 256 4.73 92

Chris Wells RB Ohio State 6-1 235 4.59 92

Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma State 6-5⅜ 263 4.86 91

Robert Ayers DE Tennessee 6-3⅛ 272 4.90 91

Brian Cushing OLB USC 6-2⅞ 243 4.74 91

Vontae Davis CB Illinois 5-11⅛ 203 4.49 91

Peria Jerry DT Mississippi 6-1¾ 299 5.00 91

Darrius Heyward-Bey WR Maryland 6-0⅝ 210 4.30 91

Josh Freeman QB Kansas State 6-5¾ 248 4.97 91

TIER V: Fringe first round

Louis Delmas S Western Michigan 5-11⅜ 202 4.57 90

Hakeem Nicks WR North Carolina 6-0¾ 202 4.63 90

Donald Brown RB Connecticut 5-10¼ 210 4.51 90

James Laurinaitis ILB Ohio State 6-1⅞ 244 4.88 90

Eben Britton OT Arizona 6-6 309 5.16 90

Alphonso Smith CB Wake Forest 5-9 193 4.57 90

Darius Butler CB Connecticut 5-10⅜ 183 4.53 89

Connor Barwin DE Cincinnati 6-3⅝ 256 4.66 89

LeSean McCoy RB Pittsburgh 5-10⅜ 198 -- 89

Kenny Britt WR Rutgers 6-2⅞ 218 4.56 89

TIER VI: Solid second round

Ron Brace DT Boston College 6-3 330 5.50 88

Alex Mack C California 6-3⅞ 311 5.10 88

Shawn Nelson TE Southern Miss 6-5 240 4.56 88

Rashad Johnson S Alabama 5-11¼ 203 4.60 88

D.J. Moore CB Vanderbilt 5-8⅞ 192 4.59 87

Lawrence Sidbury DE Richmond 6-2⅜ 266 4.64 87

Larry English DE Northern Illinois 6-2⅛ 255 4.88 86

Jamon Meredith OT South Carolina 6-4¾ 304 5.03 86

Max Unger C Oregon 6-4⅝ 309 5.35 86

Jared Cook TE South Carolina 6-4¾ 246 4.50 86

Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech 6-6⅞ 266 4.75 85

Paul Kruger DE Utah 6-4¼ 263 5.00 84

Cornelius Ingram TE Florida 6-3⅞ 245 4.68 84

William Beatty OT Connecticut 6-6 307 5.12 84

Evander Hood DT Missouri 6-2⅞ 300 4.97 84

Sean Smith CB Utah 6-3½ 214 4.58 84

Patrick Chung S Oregon 5-11¼ 212 4.57 84

Clint Sintim OLB Virginia 6-2¾ 256 4.82 84

TIER VII: Fringe second round

Shonn Greene RB Iowa 5-10½ 227 4.65 83

Cody Brown OLB Connecticut 6-2⅛ 244 4.84 83

Jairus Byrd CB Oregon 5-10⅛ 207 -- 83

Fili Moala DT USC 6-4 305 5.16 83

William Moore S Missouri 6-0⅛ 221 4.62 82

Pat White WR West Virginia 6-0¼ 197 4.50 82

Eric Wood C Louisville 6-3⅞ 310 5.24 82

James Casey TE Rice 6-2 246 4.80 81

Sen'Derrick Marks DT Auburn 6-1¾ 306 5.08 81

Thanks....I think that is a very useful way to break things down.

I am not going to get in to his breakdown as everybody has an opinion, but I don't see his as an unrealistic representation of how most draft boards are going to stack.

I like this breakdown very much. I think this thread should get stickied on draft day just to see how close McShay gets in his broad categories of players.

Plus, I'd like to see which guys we end up from this list, especially in the 2nd. Lots of intriguing players there.

Isaiah Williams, WR, Maryland

Height: 6-2. Weight: 205.

Pro Day 40 Time: 4.38.

Vertical: 41

Projected Round (2009): 7-FA.

big fast receiver had a great proday, defenently worth a look in 6-7th rounds. I doubt with numbers like that he goes undrafted

here's a link, his highlights start at 2:35 http://terps.fandome.com/video/106211/Mary...Wide-Receivers/

I'm stupified that he doesn't have Jennings, rb, in the second round. Think he missed one...

But the rest seems pretty good...

I'm stupified that he doesn't have Jennings, rb, in the second round. Think he missed one...

But the rest seems pretty good...

Don't you think in the end, it has much to do with the competition that he played against? I think that leaves such a big question for scouts that they feel they may be reaching if they go too high with him.

He has Barwin in the fringe first round catagory. I hope he last and the Browns get this kid. Almost 6'4" 256 lbs and runs a 4.66 40.

Taking a look at the teams that pick last in the first round and the first four teams in the second round (All play a 4-3), I doubt Barwin goes before pick #36. I would love to see Barwin playing a rush OLB for the Browns.

I'd like to wait until pick #50 to grab him but I'm sure he'll be gone by then.

He has Barwin in the fringe first round catagory. I hope he last and the Browns get this kid. Almost 6'4" 256 lbs and runs a 4.66 40.

Taking a look at the teams that pick last in the first round and the first four teams in the second round (All play a 4-3), I doubt Barwin goes before pick #36. I would love to see Barwin playing a rush OLB for the Browns.

Would you take Barwin after taking Orapko with #5? With all our needs can we afford to spend our two top picks on the same position?

If you want Barwin, who would you take at #5?

Pittsburgh at 32 and New England at 34 both play 3-4

Pittsburgh at 32 and New England at 34 both play 3-4

I meant the first four teams in the second round play a 4-3.

The last few teams of the 1st round really do not have a need for a LB of Barwin's type. Or it's not as pressing of a need as other places for those last 4 or 5 of the first round.

Would you take Barwin after taking Orapko with #5? With all our needs can we afford to spend our two top picks on the same position?

If you want Barwin, who would you take at #5?

I'd take Raji and line him up next to Rogers. In the 3-4 you want your tackles taking up space and stopping the run. It's not as important for them to be a pass rusher. Raji does run a 5.1 40 so he can actually really move.

Could you imagine those two beast side by side? Who are you going to double team? What if a rush LB comes from that direction?

Secondly, if anything happens to Rogers the Browns have absolutely nothing that can move to the nose. The Browns would be in serious trouble if Rogers were to get hurt.... The nose in the 3-4 is such an important position. With Raji, they can move move him over if Rogers would ever go down.

I'm so old school as far as running the ball and stopping the run. I think putting Rogers beside a guy like Raji would be a wonderful combo for stopping the run.....Then put Barwin behind them to rush the Qb.

both rogers and raji are too slow to play 3-4. they have enough short-area quickness to deal with inside runs from the NT position, but we'd be dead if we had them on the field at the same time. teams would run sweeps to raji's end side and he wouldn't have the quickness speed to get to the edge and shut it down.

both rogers and raji are too slow to play 3-4. they have enough short-area quickness to deal with inside runs from the NT position, but we'd be dead if we had them on the field at the same time. teams would run sweeps to raji's end side and he wouldn't have the quickness speed to get to the edge and shut it down.

You may be right. I feel in love with him at the senior bowl. I figure his short lateral quickness would be enough to play tackle in the 3-4.

After watching Rogrs be so dominating, I couldn't get the thought of them being side by side out of my mind.

Raji ran a 5.1 at the combine

Corey Williams ran a 5.18

Speed wouldn't be a factor

I read where more than a few scouts say don't underestimate Raji's ability to play 3-4 DE, that he has surprisingly quick lateral movement

for a big man.

that, and the role of the front three is to occupy the oline, and the lb's play sideline to sideline, for the most part...

that's as I understand it, which is probably baloney... GGG

Raji ran a 5.1 at the combine

Corey Williams ran a 5.18

Speed wouldn't be a factor

i did not know that. it's interesting that williams' game speed seems quite different from his timed speed: EA saw it fit to give him a 70/88 speed/acceleration combo.

if raji's versatile enough to play NT and DE, it'd be a great reason to bring him in. however, i still don't think he gets past the seahawks at four. they need a DT, and he's the best in the draft.

either way, i'd be worried about his ability to get to the corner, and possibly about williams doing it, too. it could be possible that's one of the reasons he struggled last year.

Guest Aloysius
I meant the first four teams in the second round play a 4-3.

The Patriots pick at #34; they have KC's 2nd round pick from the Cassel/Vrabel trade.

Guest Aloysius

If you saw Raji go through the bag drill at the Combine, you'd notice that he was a lot less fluid moving laterally than some of the smaller DT's. I don't think he'd be a good fit at DE, and he may not be a character fit if the rumors about his history of failing drug tests are true.

i did not know that. it's interesting that williams' game speed seems quite different from his timed speed: EA saw it fit to give him a 70/88 speed/acceleration combo.

if raji's versatile enough to play NT and DE, it'd be a great reason to bring him in. however, i still don't think he gets past the seahawks at four. they need a DT, and he's the best in the draft.

either way, i'd be worried about his ability to get to the corner, and possibly about williams doing it, too. it could be possible that's one of the reasons he struggled last year.

I think Williams suffered this year because he had Mcginest on his side. DE in a 3-4 is not a glory position, your not going to see him in the backfield all the time. Its his job to eat blockers and let Mcginest make plays, if they get a younger faster LB behind him you'll see a big improvement on his side.

Guest John McClane
It is looking like Detroit might actually take BJ Raji rather than Curry.

If that is the case, and he makes it by KC... Curry might actually fall to the Browns.

How is KC's offensive line? If they just traded for Cassell wouldn't it make sense to get someone to protect him? Maybe they will take Smith instead of Curry.

Archived