THE BROWNS BOARD

Pork Chop Womack

Guest mz.

Cleveland Browns sign Seattle Seahawks OL Floyd Womack

by Mary Kay Cabot / Plain Dealer Reporter

Friday March 13, 2009, 5:48 PM

BEREA -- The Browns today signed unrestricted free agent offensive lineman Floyd Womack, a source told the Plain Dealer.

Womack, an eight-year veteran of the Seattle Seahawks, is a versatile lineman who can play all line positions except center. Originally a fourth-round pick of the Seahawks in 2001, he's started 47 of the 90 games he played with the Seahawks.

Womack will most likely be slated for the right side of the line. The Browns released starting right tackle Kevin Shaffer on Thursday, but might re-sign him at a reduced salary. Terms of Womack's deal were undisclosed.

Pork chop never quite lived up to his draft hype or nickname.. but he is a decent veteran.. average or above.. solid veteran pickup if this is correct. I am not overwhelmed by this pick.. but that seems to be the trademark so far.. no big splashes.. get solild guys for the rotation... build via the draft... I have said I like it in other posts.. I still like this mode of offseason pickups.

He may be insurance against Tucker's health. Or, if he can come in and win the job Tucker would move to RG and be a backup for RT.

My concern is the center position and also a backup for Thomas. I think Womack can play their but it's asking too much for Tucker at this point in his career. I hope they spend a day two pick on a lineman they canwork with and bring up through our system. They tried with Sowells and Chambers but I afraid they were both misses. Boone might be a good UDFA if he gets his head screwed on. They could stash him for a year on the practice squad and see if he works out.

Womack will fill shaffers shoes well...assuming they mesh tuck and womack should grreatly solidify the right side of our o-line now for a center please..

I have a feeling womack will be our starting tackle so we still need a decent multi-position player for backup..perhaps shaffer will reconsider.. ;)

Womack will fill shaffers shoes well...assuming they mesh tuck and womack should grreatly solidify the right side of our o-line now for a center please..

I have a feeling womack will be our starting tackle so we still need a decent multi-position player for backup..perhaps shaffer will reconsider.. ;)

Signing Womack just told Shaffer "good luck". Again, I say the more film these guys watch the more they find the guys that slacked off at the end of the season. Shaffer looked like shit at the end of the year. He was getting beat by everyone.

I still think Womack has to come in and play like a demon or Tucker will assume the job. Womack has been an underachiever. He always had great potential but never lived up to it. He's getting a second chance and he will have to produce in camp to win the job or he will be a backup his whole career.

Pork chop never quite lived up to his draft hype or nickname.. but he is a decent veteran.. average or above.. solid veteran pickup if this is correct. I am not overwhelmed by this pick.. but that seems to be the trademark so far.. no big splashes.. get solild guys for the rotation... build via the draft... I have said I like it in other posts.. I still like this mode of offseason pickups.

He was a mid rounder....few live up to the hype at that point.

Womack is a possible starter and a good addition to the line....better than Sowells.....a nice solid signing that builds the middle of our roster IMO.

he definitely tells us, too, what kind of players mankok is looking for on the o-line: big, strong guys that don't necessarily have to be the most mobile, but who can flat-out maul the people in front of them.

as a RT should, womack excels in the run game but isn't quite as proficient as a pass blocker. he and tucker, assuming he's healthy, will give us a strong right side of the line to run behind, especially with a TE like royal on the field, and keeping a TE in on passing downs will help nullify womack's pass blocking shortcomings.

if we slide hadnot in to center, we'll have three guys on the line who can destroy people in the run game, which should really help us establish a physical, destructive identity that's hard to stop and can win games no matter who the QB is.

Cleveland Browns sign Seattle Seahawks OL Floyd Womack

by Mary Kay Cabot / Plain Dealer Reporter

Friday March 13, 2009, 5:48 PM

BEREA -- The Browns today signed unrestricted free agent offensive lineman Floyd Womack, a source told the Plain Dealer.

Womack, an eight-year veteran of the Seattle Seahawks, is a versatile lineman who can play all line positions except center. Originally a fourth-round pick of the Seahawks in 2001, he's started 47 of the 90 games he played with the Seahawks.

Womack will most likely be slated for the right side of the line. The Browns released starting right tackle Kevin Shaffer on Thursday, but might re-sign him at a reduced salary. Terms of Womack's deal were undisclosed.

Welcome Pork Chop Womack.

Greatest name for a lineman in the league.

Zombo

--Westside Bear wanted this guy in the draft ... now he has come to roost.

I have come across many Browns fans who have wanted "Pork Chop" to come here for several years. As JewDago stated, he's the kind of mauler that we've been looking for on the OL.

Time will tell...

-Al

what kind of hype is associated with a 4th rounder?

Ok.. I mean't his pre-draft hype.. he was iniitally slated as a late first or sure fire 2nd.. I cannot recall why he fell, but he indeed fell because I was pissed when the browns did not take him when he fell and we passed also.. anywho... he looks like a good pickup

Guest Aloysius

From what I've read, it sounds like Womack's more of a guard than a tackle. He may be able to give us a start or two at RT, but he's too slow & heavy to play there full-time.

From what I've read, it sounds like Womack's more of a guard than a tackle. He may be able to give us a start or two at RT, but he's too slow & heavy to play there full-time.

You're absolutely right, he is a better guard then tackle. Maybe we aren't done yet because I don't see us putting all of our eggs in one basket with Tucker at RT.

If he is that slow we cant expect to pull him at guard on a sweep play and expect a g block. we still need a better blocker with better foot work.

If he is that slow we cant expect to pull him at guard on a sweep play and expect a g block. we still need a better blocker with better foot work.

Womack is not slow. He is a better guard and he can pull, can pass block, has decent strength and can run block. He doesn't have the quickness and agility that top tackles have. Same reason Steinbach plays guard and not tackle.

He isn't a premier offensive lineman. He is better then Hadnot, McKinney and even Shaffer, but we didn't sign an all pro. He may not even be a starter but he will be very good depth at both guard positions and can also play some RT, if needed.

I don't think they are done yet with offensive linemen.

Poke Chop isn't a RT by any means, but this is a nice signing and I don't think it necessarily affects bringing Kevvy Shafe back or not. I find it hard to believe the Browns are going to want to rely on Tuck to start at RT, and certainly they can't plan on Womack there.

At this point in his career Tuck is still a dominant guard, but way too slow for RT. He was deteriorating there a few years back.

It's hard to imagine a rookie coming in here and starting at RT, so there may be a trade somewhere along the way.

Or.......how about convincing Orlando Pace to come back home and play on the right side for a few years? LOL, doubt it with the way these guys seem to be going about things. Looks to me like they're going to stockpile lineman and figure it out in camp who plays where.

Keep in mind, I'm huge on replacing Fraley, but there is no guarantee Hadnot has the requisite athleticism there to be any better. Yeah, he is bigger and stronger but who knows if he has the brains for it also?

I doubt Sowells is a part of this team's plans, especially at RT.

I think Hadnot gets a chance to nail down the center spot this year.

He might.

More likely is we will select one of the 3-4 really good centers in round 2 and he will be given the shot to nail down the position.

This is a great center class....and we will be in perfect position to get one of them with either of the 2nd round picks.

He might.

More likely is we will select one of the 3-4 really good centers in round 2 and he will be given the shot to nail down the position.

This is a great center class....and we will be in perfect position to get one of them with either of the 2nd round picks.

This may be one of the best center classes I can ever remember. 3 studs and the next tier lead by Shipley isn't bad either. We need a few more picks but I have to think Center and SS are two very high priorities in round 2.

This may be one of the best center classes I can ever remember. 3 studs and the next tier lead by Shipley isn't bad either. We need a few more picks but I have to think Center and SS are two very high priorities in round 2.

I'd have to say center and RB in round 2, and there are a few nice ones there so we've got a shot.

Indeed.

Unger, Mack, and Lugis, round out the top tier with guys like Wood, Caldwell, and Shipley not far behind.

I would take any of the first three with our first pick at round...and most definitely jump if one lasts to the #50 pick.

Any of the other 3 would be a very solid pick at 50...I like caldwell the best of the last 3....but that may just be the SEC homer in me.

Guest Aloysius

Caldwell reportedly had a great workout at his pro day.

Unger isn't a very good fit for the massive mauling o-line we seem to be building. I love how well the big guy moves, but he's not at his best when trying to push back d-tackles. At the Senior Bowl, he really struggled against Raji and Brace, which doesn't bode well for blocking the 3-4 NT's in our division.

I think Wood may have elevated himself into the top tier with his great Combine. He put up 30 reps of 225 and displayed good feet during the OL drills. Also, he plays with the nasty demeanor coaches love.

Here are some interesting comments from a scouting report on Wood:

Character: Wood is a quiet team leader who plays with true aggression. He is an "old school" no-nonsense type who will not hesitate to get in a teammate's face, yet when he speaks, the team listens. He gets good family support and has also excelled in the classroom. He takes well to hard coaching and has been a good spokesman for the program. He has no known off-field issues and the coaches say he is a pleasure to work with.

Competitiveness: Wood has an aggressive attitude on the field and even when he is losing a battle against a stronger nose guard, he shows good urgency in attempts to finish. You would like to see him use his developing hand punch more often, as he can lock on and control. With his steady motor, you will never see him throttle down. Anyone who might question his intensity needs only see him fighting tooth and nail to the final gun in a 69-14 loss to Rutgers in 2008. He always brings his "A" game to the field, no matter what the scoreboard says.

Work Habits: Wood is known for residing in the film room. He is very determined to break down every aspect of his opponent and search for what he can use to his advantage. He does all the little extras you would expect from a team leader and captain. He has a strong understanding for his role on the team and cherishes his leadership ability. On the field, he has no problem with being vocal, as he knows how to control the younger players in the huddle.

Sounds like a Mangini type.

Caldwell reportedly had a great workout at his pro day.

Unger isn't a very good fit for the massive mauling o-line we seem to be building. I love how well the big guy moves, but he's not at his best when trying to push back d-tackles. At the Senior Bowl, he really struggled against Raji and Brace, which doesn't bode well for blocking the 3-4 NT's in our division.

I think Wood may have elevated himself into the top tier with his great Combine. He put up 30 reps of 225 and displayed good feet during the OL drills. Also, he plays with the nasty demeanor coaches love.

Here are some interesting comments from a scouting report on Wood:

Sounds like a Mangini type.

Alo, in your opinion should the Browns grab a center at pick 50? That's given we don't acquire anymore picks. Or would you be more inclined to get by with what we have this year?

Guest Aloysius
Alo, in your opinion should the Browns grab a center at pick 50? That's given we don't acquire anymore picks. Or would you be more inclined to get by with what we have this year?

I'd strongly consider it. One problem is I think it's very likely that both Alex Mack and Eric Wood will be off the board by #50. Of the remaining centers, Antoine Caldwell would be the guy who'd best fit our type of OL, but I worry about how he'll fare against quick, penetrating tackles. During the Senior Bowl practices, he struggled against the quick guys, and he gave up a really ugly sack to Iowa DT Mitch King during the game. He's better than Rex Hadnot, but I'm not sure he'd be a good value at #50.

Whatever happens, I'm sure we'll draft an interior o-line sometime after Round 1. We were all over the top centers at the Senior Bowl, and our scouts have been checking out Day 2 OG's at a couple pro days. OL coach George Warhop went to Texas Tech's pro day to personally work out OG Louis Vasquez and reportedly came back very impressed. The 6'5", 333 pound guard is an intriguing prospect: he didn't really do much drive-blocking in Tech's scheme, but he's got the size and strength (39 reps of 225 at the Combine) to be a dominant mauling-type blocker. He could be a guy we consider in the 4th.

We also sent scouts to West Virginia's pro day to watch OG-OT Greg Isdaner, who's big (6'4", 325 lbs.) but is said to be more of a finesse guy. He's more of a late round/UDFA type, partly due to durability concerns. Our scouts also spoke to Tennessee OG-OT Ramon Foster at the Combine, who's another huge (6'5", 328 lbs.) late round guy.

Archived