THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Sign Barton too

PB&J

http://cle.scout.com/2/847085.html

Browns Sign Eric Barton

(Getty Images)

By Browns Press Release

Posted Mar 13, 2009

Another linebacker is the latest New York Jet to jump on a plane to Cleveland. The Browns have tonight announced that Eric Barton has joined Floyd Womack as the newest member of the Cleveland Browns.

The Cleveland Browns announced today that they have signed unrestricted free agents Eric Barton and Floyd Womack.

“We are pleased to have Eric and Floyd join the Browns,” said Browns General Manager George Kokinis. “Both will add a great deal of experience and versatility to the team.”

Barton, a veteran of 10 NFL seasons, was originally a fifth-round draft choice of Oakland in 1999. The 31-year old played five seasons with the Raiders before joining the Jets as an unrestricted free agent in 2004.

In his NFL career, Barton has appeared in 136 regular season games, including 101 starts. In 2008 with the Jets, he started all 16 games and collected 127 tackles, the second-highest total of his career. He added 1.5 sacks, four passes defensed, a fumble recovery and a forced fumble.

Barton was a four-year letterman at the University of Maryland (1995-98), where he was a first-team All-ACC selection as a senior.

Womack, 30, was a fourth-round draft choice of the Seahawks in 2001. In his career, he has played in 90 games with 46 starts and opened games at every position along the line except center.

In 2008, he started all 14 games in which he appeared, splitting time between left and right guard.

The 6-4, 330-pounder was a four-year letterman at Mississippi State (1997-2000) where he started the final 29 games of his career at tackle, and was a first-team All-SEC choice as a senior.

With Mosley, Bowens, Barton, Royal, Womack and hopefully Elam I see some solid signings. With them keeping Stallworth today I see them as being nearly ready for the draft, though I'd like them to pick up a wide receiver at least to compete for depth.

Barton is a great grab for the cleveland jets!

Theres no doubt mangini is surrounding himself with guys that he knows wont quit in the middle of a game and their generally short term contracts are proof that they are absolute stopgap depth while mankok rebuilds this club good solid moves!..:)

I see some depth. I see some quality back ups. I don't see a barnburning pass rusher. Since the only one available went to the Jets, I understand why we don't have one signed. But this will be another uneventful defense if we don't get to the passer.

I see some depth. I see some quality back ups. I don't see a barnburning pass rusher. Since the only one available went to the Jets, I understand why we don't have one signed. But this will be another uneventful defense if we don't get to the passer.

Lucky for us we have 3 picks in the top 50 and could probably get more by trading a quarterback.

and you think the draft is for what? maybe a barnstorming LB or two.

The FA signings are just what you said depth. Fionally we have a FO and coaching staff that realizes that a team should be built through the draft.

Screw signing the overpriced, underachieving FAs. Acquire your team core through the draft.

Archived