THE BROWNS BOARD

More thoughts on Spring Training 3-15-09

Oldcrow1945

There are a few things that really stand out for me.

With the move of Barfield to the outfield I had hoped it would open up more opportunities for him but he's not taking advantage of it. Hitting around .180 with 6 k's to 1 bb.

Only Sowers seems to be coming away from spring traning with numbers that would get him on the club. There is news that his fastball has really improved. 92 or 93 MPH. His strike out to walk ratio is still not what it should be though.

Lewis has been unspectacular. Laffey had a good outing the last time out but he's been very inconsistent.

Huff has not been living up to the billing either. He got beat up pretty badly Saturday again.

Pavano has been Carl. Pretty bad.

Reyes has been really good. When you listen to him talk he is really excited. He wants to go out and show the Cardinals they made a huge mistake. He may do it.

I'm really happy with so many of these young prospects.

Michael Brantely is hitting .391 He'll be in Cleveland soon. He may end up being the best player received in the Sabathia trade. Having him leading off with Grady batting in the 2 hole excites me to no end. When you want to give Choo a rest and play Crowe you could have him batting ninth, then Brantley and then Grady. That is some serious speed batting back to back to back

Trevor Crowe just keeps proving that he's ready. He's hitting .308. I hope he makes this team as the fourth outfielder. He's fast and can play all three outfield positions. I like the thought of him batting 9th at times, in front of Grady.

Wes Hodges is hitting .318 with 3 doubles

Michael Aubrey is hitting .471. I like this kid. He's the type that could end up getting away because of a possible glut of 1st baseman. I hope not. I think he could end up being an all star.

Matt Laporta is hitting .286

Beau Mills is hitting .273 and is third in total bases behind Paralta and Victor.

Man, Has Paralta been hot! 13 for 23 for a .565 clip. Also has 2 HR's. 22 total bases in 23 AB's!

Ryan Garko just keeps doing what Ryan does. He hits. he's hitting 333 with 3 doubles and a triple. Even his work in the outfield has been better than expected.

Victor just keeps doing what he does too. Hits. Batting .383 with 2 HR's and second on the team in total bases.

I'm worried about Hafner. 3 hits in 15 ab's. No HR's and 5 K's to no walks. I think the Tribe needs to start facing the fact that they may need to start looking for another power hitter someday.

There are a few things that really stand out for me.

With the move of Barfield to the outfield I had hoped it would open up more opportunities for him but he's not taking advantage of it. Hitting around .180 with 6 k's to 1 bb.

I don't think Barfield has been moved to the Oufield on a regular basis. I think they want to see if he can play out there in a utility role

Reyes has been really good. When you listen to him talk he is really excited. He wants to go out and show the Cardinals they made a huge mistake. He may do it..

Good for Reyes and Good for us. The bully is also a concern of mine Masa is looking very old, Adam Miller has more than likely run out of time to secure a spot in the pen

I'

m really happy with so many of these young prospects.

Michael Brantely is hitting .391 He'll be in Cleveland soon. He may end up being the best player received in the Sabathia trade. Having him leading off with Grady batting in the 2 hole excites me to no end. When you want to give Choo a rest and play Crowe you could have him batting ninth, then Brantley and then Grady. That is some serious speed batting back to back to back

Trevor Crowe just keeps proving that he's ready. He's hitting .308. I hope he makes this team as the fourth outfielder. He's fast and can play all three outfield positions. I like the thought of him batting 9th at times, in front of Grady.

Brantley was the guy who I wanted from the Brewers, so much so I became a Brewer fan in the waning days of the 08 season. The last guy in the trade was a conditional one with the Indians getting to make it if the Brewers made the playoffs. Course being a Brewers fan especially on the last day was an easy one with Big C on the hill mowin down the cubbies.

He has amazing poise for a 21 year old kid, his swing is very compace and doesn't give away ab's. That being said I certainly hope STO gets a contract done with Columbus to show their games. He may be ready right now but there is no need to rush him here.

I have zero problem with Crowe making this team while eating Delucci's contract

Archived