THE BROWNS BOARD

What type of Gun?

I don't personally own any, but my grandpa and I go shooting a lot. Usually some old rifles from the first world war, a Lebel and an Enfield. Also an M1 Carbine from Korea, and this really beautiful old .22 target rifle from way back.

I have a Taurus .357 magnum with a six inch barrel. Nice weapon. Can shoot .357 or 38 special rounds. Taurus is a great weapon and I would highly recommend it. Depends on what you want the weapon for? Home defense? Target shooting? I own alot of firearms, but for a beginner would probably recommend a 9mm. Revolvers are nice because they don't jam. Do some research to decide what is best for you and your needs.

Does everyone own? I am thinking of purchasing one and looking for suggestions. I have heard that Tarus is a good brand at a reasonable price ($350).

Depends on what you want the handgun for. I don't actually own one, but I have fired plenty in all calibers (except .50)

Just target & range shooting? Look to the 9mm caliber. Should be plenty.

Protection? .40 cal & some .38 are the slower traveling projectiles so that they actually have "knockdown" power like a shotgun. .45's often knock down, but the bullet usually travels through the aggressor. As do 9mm. At the right distance (I think between 25-40 ft) you can actually bounce (ricochet) 9's off of a car windshield. .357 is a solid piece too.

To show-off? .45 in regular & magnum usually will do the trick.

ahh for fun. ammo cost should be taken into consideration. .22 and .9mm ammo cost vs .40 and .45 obviously the lower caliber ammo cost is cheaper.

What the budget amount you were looking to stay in?

I assume you are looking at cross comparisons of cost vs reliability and quality. It would make it a lot easier to narrow down a opinion if we first think about budget.

The other question is what class of weapon meaning hand gun/rifle, etc.

Archived