THE BROWNS BOARD

Gipson not at voluntary workouts

gftChris

Thats what he's saying.....

That a player(with a 3 year contract) holding out for more money is the same as a Free Agent(w/o a contract) negotiating with other teams for the best deal.....

So dumb it hurts to even think about it.....

well the term 'holding out' has me wondering when does the act of 'holding out' actually occur? i would think it means that he won't play and that means opening day forward correct? i mean he can say he's holding out during TC etc. but until the first kickoff does that really mean anything besides a bargaining tool?

well the term 'holding out' has me wondering when does the act of 'holding out' actually occur? i would think it means that he won't play and that means opening day forward correct? i mean he can say he's holding out during TC etc. but until the first kickoff does that really mean anything besides a bargaining tool?

Except that it really affects team chemistry, learning the playbook and any changes since last year (apparently there'll be plenty to counter the run D), things like that.

I was under the impression (since after OP), that Gipson was not allowed at voluntary practises, and isn't really holding out, unlike Brown.

No... he's not allowed at "practices".

Long overdue for another common language exception..

well the term 'holding out' has me wondering when does the act of 'holding out' actually occur?

Id say it occurs at a couple of points....

1) when you have a signed contract and then refuse to report or perform.....

2) when you refuse to sign a contract, beyond the normal signing period, and then fail to report to mandatory camp(s) or workouts....

Well know soon enough.....Tomorrow is the deadline for Gibson to sign with another team. So now he can either sign the tender and get to work.....or continue to negotiate with the Browns for more.....which could lead to a hold out eventually(though I highly doubt that happens).....we shall see.....

I say he signs the tender.....

Thats what he's saying.....

That a player(with a 3 year contract) holding out for more money is the same as a Free Agent(w/o a contract) negotiating with other teams for the best deal.....

So dumb it hurts to even think about it.....

Negotiating with other teams? The other teams would need to one sign gipson and two give up a 2nd round pick. I said the desired end game for both players is the same. They both want more money. Who is negotiating with gipson? Toying with giving up 2nd right before the draft with a guy coming off surgery? Yea I bet teams are beating down the door. The Browns tendered him at the 2nd round level because they thought they MIGHT get some interest. Tender him at a first and he's definitely not going anywhere and he likely would have signed already. You just can't read or refuse to see my point for the sake of being a troll.

They both want more money. Who is negotiating with gipson? The Browns tendered him at the 2nd round level because they thought they MIGHT get some interest.

Here's some options to ponder....

a) Everyone wants more money and there is an appropriate time to negotiate that. When you're a free agent is ideal. When you're under contract, it's not.

B) One team that could be negotiating with Gipson is the Browns. Ever think of that Einstein? They had a deadline to place the tender and secure him, so that what they had to do to be 1/2 way intelligent....

but it's very realistic to think they are discussing other more appealing options with him.....and that the tender wasn't the Browns best offer...it was just what they had to do by that date to secure him....get it?....isnt THAT possible?...

so....see the point that just because he didnt immediately sign the tender...it doesn't mean he is somehow pissed and demanding more....

in the end....whether he signs a bigger deal or just signs the tender, "if" he honors it and shows up THAT is the difference.....

I have to feel there are productive & ongoing contract negotiations. After all, the guy's is a UDFA with a couple decent years finished off with a knee injury. That seems to me to be a no brainer for signing the tender unless they ARE seriously close to a deal.

I guess we'll see.

Mike

Browns restricted free-agent free safety Tashaun Gipson is not attending the team’s voluntary offseason conditioning program this week, a person familiar with the situation told the Beacon Journal on Tuesday.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the Browns do not regularly discuss attendance. The vast majority of players participate in the program.

Dissatisfied with the second-round tender the Browns placed upon him last month, Gipson has been a notable no-show since the workouts began April 20 at team headquarters in Berea.

The deadline for Gipson, a Pro Bowler last season, to sign an offer sheet from another club passed Friday without any action. Per the collective bargaining agreement, the Browns are now the only team with which Gipson can negotiate or sign for the duration of the 2015 league year.

If Gipson signs the tender, he would be scheduled to make $2.356 million on a one-year deal during the 2015 season. He’s obviously not in any rush to do so because he’s seeking a long-term contract.

Last week, Browns coach Mike Pettine expressed optimism the franchise would strike a long-term deal with Gipson, 24, who has been training in his home state of Texas.

“You never want the business side to affect the football side,” Pettine said during a news conference. “It’s obviously a very positive thing, in my mind, that we had a player, here’s a guy that was undrafted that played well enough to warrant getting himself going into that second contract — a sizable second contract. I see that as a positive, and I think we’re very optimistic we’ll get that worked out.

“This is all voluntary. He does not need to be here. I don’t have much of a comment on that other than we’re very hopeful that it’ll get done. That’s a good problem to have — when you have a good player and you’re wanting to pay him.”

Browns General Manager Ray Farmer declined last week to discuss whether the organization was trying to negotiate a long-term contract with Gipson’s agent. Farmer would only comment on Gipson’s absence.

“[The workouts are] all voluntary,” Farmer said during a news conference. “Tashaun is at home and has his rights to be at home. I would say I hope he is doing what he is doing to prepare himself for the next season. Again, the NFL has decided that these guys deserve downtime, and as a former player, I used to love downtime. It’s a positive in that respect.”

Should the tender remain unsigned, Gipson could skip mandatory minicamp June 16-18 and training camp later this summer without being subject to fines.

However, if Gipson does not sign the $2.356 million tender by June 15, the Browns would have the right, per the CBA, to replace it with a one-year contract worth at least 110 percent of Gipson’s 2014 base salary. In Gipson’s case, the reduced offer could be as low as $627,000.

Last year, Gipson became the first undrafted Browns defensive player to make the Pro Bowl since linebacker Mike Johnson in 1991. Despite missing the final five games of the season with a sprained right knee, Gipson finished second in the NFL with six interceptions to go along with 52 tackles, eight passes defensed and one fumble recovery.

ProFootballFocus.com ranked Gipson 10th out of 87 safeties in the league last season. He was listed sixth in coverage and tied for 26th against the run in the rankings.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/browns-notebook-restricted-free-agent-tashaun-gipson-still-absent-from-voluntary-workouts-with-deadline-to-sign-offer-sheet-from-another-team-expired-1.587214

https://twitter.com/Gipson_duos24/status/593502805752549376

Hopefully this isn't related to some sort of trade or something.

He is training at home in Texas. I Believe the 2 sunshine's he's talking about the Weather. Mary Kay Cabot does not need another story ;)B)

Archived