THE BROWNS BOARD

Need based picks, or BPA? Which do you prefer?

BitchTits

Personally I have never liked BPA. I understand the idea behind it, bringing in the most talented guys. My issue has always been however, what is the point of bringing in a position that already has quality in it. While having a deep stable of running backs is useful for depth, how does it help when the 4th guy doesn't see the field, but someone maybe a little less talented is picked, and becomes a decent starter for you.

And before someone brings it up, trade bait rarely happens in these instances. Usually the players rot on the depth chart, and leave when their contract is up.

I tend to believe in a "both" approach. Rating players, based on talent, and need. Using some sort of composite of the 2 scores to draft the best player to help your team.

Just curious what others though?

BPA for me, having a stacked position is no bad thing, it means you can potentially let some guys go that might otherwise cost you a fortune. If you have someone to come in at C for instance you can let Mack get paid elsewhere* and use that money on 1-2 free agents at other positions that don't have that depth.

*before people want to stab me this is just an example, I am aware how good Mack is

BPA for me, having a stacked position is no bad thing, it means you can potentially let some guys go that might otherwise cost you a fortune. If you have someone to come in at C for instance you can let Mack get paid elsewhere* and use that money on 1-2 free agents at other positions that don't have that depth.

*before people want to stab me this is just an example, I am aware how good Mack is

Makes sense, and is a good argument. No right answers here, just curious what people think. Always good to see and maybe learn :D

To me it depends on the round.

In the 1st round, BPA is the way to go IMO. The 2nd and 3rd rounds can be more geared towards needs. From the 4th-6th rounds, BPA. The goal in these rounds is to pluck some good down the road players. Not simply some guy to play left guard for a season or two. The 7th round, I look for the fastest player I can find.

One exception is when you are looking for a kicker or long snapper. Then you might us a 5th on down pick to fill that need.

i lean on NEED more than anything else.

what is the biggest need for the browns to become better this year? stop the run (NT) rush the passer (LB) pass/run block better (OL backup C) make dynamic plays on offense (WR and QB).

to get the best available when we pick at those positions will prob take the 10 picks the browns have.

I guess my question for this thread would be better with an example.

If Mariotta/Winston (I know unlikely, it's just an example) fell to 12, would you take our "need" at QB whether you think they would be good or not, or go with the best available player?

I would use a different set of QB's, but QB is a huge need for us. Names actually are irrelevant, would you reach(still first round pick) for a QB because of need? Or would you take a player(like a left tackle, that will play left tackle no moving) because he is the best player?

I guess my question for this thread would be better with an example.

If Mariotta/Winston (I know unlikely, it's just an example) fell to 12, would you take our "need" at QB whether you think they would be good or not, or go with the best available player?

I would use a different set of QB's, but QB is a huge need for us. Names actually are irrelevant, would you reach(still first round pick) for a QB because of need? Or would you take a player(like a left tackle, that will play left tackle no moving) because he is the best player?

A better example would be the new B/R mock that has us taking Grayson at 19 smh....

Not if we take him in the first... ;) Shades of Wheezy reach!

Dont think you can rely on either BPA or NEED alone....its gotta be a combination of both....plus consideration has to be given to what positions are deep and what positions gotta be tapped early....

Yup... call it a hybrid...

Cluster players into groups based upon grades.

When your pick rolls around take the player left in the top cluster of greatest need with consideration of options in subsequent rounds.

But the Browns need to stop the run. Who is the best player in this draft? ESPN's Bill Polian says Danny Shelton is a two down player. So is Malcom Brown or Eddie Goldman a better fit?

But the Browns need to stop the run. Who is the best player in this draft? ESPN's Bill Polian says Danny Shelton is a two down player. So is Malcom Brown or Eddie Goldman a better fit?

if taylor can stay healthy a rotation between him and shelton is fine with me.

If you see Cam Irving selected at 19 there's your answer. They say he's a better C than G or T. With our Line I would take him anyhow for anywhere IMO.. Resign Mack my best Option..

i saw something on a sports channel somewhere that marpet would be best moved to C and if he is, is rated the #2 by mayock (don't know if a lot of people take mayock as being very knowledgeable, but i do). if he goes in the 2nd it will be a surprise to me even though people love his combine and senior bowl stuff.

i'll pull for him anyways seeing as he grew up a mile from where i live now.

i saw something on a sports channel somewhere that marpet would be best moved to C and if he is, is rated the #2 by mayock (don't know if a lot of people take mayock as being very knowledgeable, but i do). if he goes in the 2nd it will be a surprise to me even though people love his combine and senior bowl stuff.

i'll pull for him anyways seeing as he grew up a mile from where i live now.

In your same Boat. Living in N.C. Watching RB Todd Gurley in High School and WR Justin Hardy got to be a fan. But God not a Cowboy and not in our Division Please...

I like Mayock as well. And McShay has said the same thing... that Marpet is the 2nd best interior linemen in the draft behind Erving.

Polian actually called Shelton a 1.5 down player. Was dumping all over Shelton due to his 5.6 40 time at the Combine.

"No successful lineman has ever been that slow."

Shelton lines up closest to the ball and the QB is behind the center dropping backward into a pocket. I Will Bet on his SLOW Ass to get in the Pocket. It's not a 40 yard dash and I am not a Expert..

I guess it depends on the gap between BPA and need. if you need an ex backer and one is rated at 9. 5 but the next available player, the BPA, is rated at 9. 6...

WSS

Of course, if you rely on BPA, you might have a punter ranked 9.8 and take him in the 3rd round. But then, nobody would ever pass on a future SB-winning QB in order to draft a punter in the third round, right? Right? Oh, sorry Jacksonville.

Of course, if you rely on BPA, you might have a punter ranked 9.8 and take him in the 3rd round. But then, nobody would ever pass on a future SB-winning QB in order to draft a punter in the third round, right? Right? Oh, sorry Jacksonville.

that's true but if a punter is rated 9.8 I think about it just because you will probably have the best punter in the league for the next 13 years.

;)

WSS

that's true but if a punter is rated 9.8 I think about it just because you will probably have the best punter in the league for the next 13 years.

;)

WSS

Need a great Punter???.....instead of 'Fail for Cardale'.........maybe we should 'Take a shot for Scott?'

I guess it depends on the gap between BPA and need. if you need an ex backer and one is rated at 9. 5 but the next available player, the BPA, is rated at 9. 6...

If you think you can grade accurately that finely, then I think you are fooling yourself. Your system may yield the numbers you mention as examples, but in the end you translate them to rounds (1 - FA) with perhaps cusp groupings (1/2, 2/3, etc.). Then pull from the grouping based upon need.

Shelton lines up closest to the ball and the QB is behind the center dropping backward into a pocket. I Will Bet on his SLOW Ass to get in the Pocket. It's not a 40 yard dash and I am not a Expert..

Watched his Draft Academy segment last nite and came away feeling better.

One... he's a great kid with an absolutely infectious personality.

Two... his feet are quicker than 5.6... and so, it seems, is his head.

Three... he sheds really well.

Also reviewed the havoc he reaped Senior Bowl week. Only one O-lineman could handle him... my boy Ali.

Also remembered another draft, talking head saying, "If our NT has to run 40 yards, then we have other problems."

Need a great Punter???.....instead of 'Fail for Cardale'.........maybe we should 'Take a shot for Scott?'

Scott:: Now that Big Dude can Punt!!

Archived