THE BROWNS BOARD

Chip Vaughn

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

Now that the Jets have matched our offer to Abram Elam, it's probably time to start going through the safety prospects we could be targeting in Round 2. One guy who could draw heavy consideration at #50 is Wake Forest's Chip Vaughn.

Vaughn told Scout.com's Ed Thompson that his combine meeting with the Browns was the most difficult of all his team interviews. When the Browns' representatives asked him to break down film, they showed him a series of plays in which Vaughn made a mistake. He then had to explain what his mistake was, as well as what he should have done instead.

It's not a surprise that the Browns would have Vaughn focus on his mental mistakes. Possessing 4.42 speed and a chiseled 221 pound physique, Vaughn has all the tools to be a top flight strong safety. However, some believe that poor instincts and slow recognition skills prevent him from truly utilizing those elite physical tools.

The Browns likely were checking to see whether Vaughn's got the smarts to learn from his past mistakes, as well as the mental toughness to take to the hard coaching Mangini and Rob Ryan will be laying on him from day one of minicamp. Vaughn thinks he did a good job stepping up to that challenge; I guess we'll find out on draft day whether the Browns agree.

Here's some footage of Vaughn from the BC game (Vaughn's #9)

Larger clip here

And here's a scouting report on the Wake Forest product:

Positives: Looks the part...Rare size and upper-body development for the position...Aggressive defender that attacks in run support...Reliable open-field tackler...Heavy hitter that can separate the ballcarrier from the ball, resulting in forced fumbles and passes broken up...Appears to have at least adequate straight-line speed, good balance and a low backpedal...Good leaping ability to battle for the ball...Has developed a reputation for game-changing plays over his career...Came to Wake Forest as a wide receiver and is still an ascending player.

Negatives: Better in run support than against the pass...Questionable instincts...A step slow in recognizing the action and has a hitch in his turn...May lack the agility to mirror routes...Better facing the quarterback...Loses track of the ball and has only marginal hand-eye coordination for the interception...Surrounded by a great deal of talent at Wake Forest.

I agree. Cribbs at SS sounds intriguing. However, as a few have mentioned...he can't be expect to just start from day one at a position he hasn't played. Do I think he could make the transition. Yes. is it realistic to think he will and our S tyroubles are gone. No.

If a guy is going to convert and work out...it is Cribbs. I think Mangini just threw his name out there shortly after being hired cause he knew he didn't want Jones back and the FA SS pool was poor. He wanted to give us hope even though we'd head into the draft without a starter on the roster haha. He could say he wanted to line Cribbs up on the defensive line and our love for Cribbs would somehow try to rationalize with it.... :D

Vaughn caught my eye last season. I like him as a prospect. I kind of forgot about him until now...nice post!

Guest Aloysius

Wake Forest's pro day is today (3/23). Vaughn will likely stand on his great Combine numbers, but it should be interesting to see who the Browns send to watch him go through position drills. With Curry and Alphonso Smith also participating, I wouldn't be surprised if DC Rob Ryan shows up.

Also working out today is Rutgers safety Courtney Greene, who's behind Vaughn on most strong safety rankings. Greene had a fairly poor Combine (4.56 40, 7.35 3-cone), so he'll likely be running the full gamut of drills.

Here's some footage of Greene (#36):

And here's a scouting report on the Rutgers product:

Positives: Versatile, has started at free and strong safety...Nice height and solid upper and lower body...Closes quickly on run plays from the deep secondary...Greets receivers rudely across the middle...Aware of down and distance and works hard to prevent long third-down conversions...Reads the quarterback's eyes and closes on the ball quickly...Can be effective on the blitz, timing his move well, but is not sent in very often...Durable leader, plays through injuries.

Negatives: Tends to hit more than tackle, and will drop his head too often in the open field...Stays high in his backpedal and footwork is choppy... Must work on man coverage technique and improve reaction as receivers chew up his cushion...Discipline is an issue, as Greene gets sucked in by play-action and at times fails to get deep...Runners freeze him in the open field...Does not have great lateral movement, and is best being a hammer when the play is in front of him...Needs to prove he can play the ball in the air against taller receivers.

The first part of that clip package is pretty embarrassing. He sounds a bit like the safety from ASU last year -- all athleticism, not enough football player.

He's one of the few safety prospects with the necessary athleticism though. He's going to get a look.

Agreed. On his big hit where Curry blitzed up the middle untouched (2nd or 3rd to last highlight), I would have preferred to see Vaughn wrap up with the hit. NFL RB's aren't going down with just a bump.

*edit* Greene is the kind of tackler I want in centerfield. Running up to the play to make the tackle (goal line stand) rather than waiting for the play to come to him to make the tackle.

Guest Aloysius

According to TFY Draft, Vaughn struggled in DB drills at his pro day, appearing a little stiff-hipped and getting tall in his backpedal.

On the other hand, Aaron Curry and Alphonso Smith both looked great.

Archived