THE BROWNS BOARD

Cribbs at Safety

Guest c-dawg

Cribbs at Safety?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Should Josh Cribbs Be Moved to Safety?

• Go
    • No Go

Dude, I have every single hour of the Browns seasons on my DVR, I have seen Cribbs make more tackles on special teams than our starting linebackers had in games. The kid is a heat seeking missle, every play on kicks and punts you ALWAYS see 16 either on the tackle or very near it.

A move to saftey isn't THAT far fetched, or out of the realm of possibilty of working. He would still contribute in the same way as before, just in a different capacity.

Agreed.

99.9% of the KO's are covered by Cribbs. If he doesn't make the tackle, he blows up the primary blocker & the tackle is immediately made after that. You know who is immediately behind #16 on those coverages? #64. Does anybody here think Pontbriand is the 2nd fastest person on the field? Didn't think so. He & Cribbs have the smarts to read the formations, & Cribbs has the disturbing athletic ability to make the play.

If he can pick up the position (I believe he can, just maybe not in 1 offseason), I think he's got the ability to bring the kind of fear & presence in our secondary that Sean Taylor did in Washington. Without the attitude & piss poor decision making after the play.

#16 Can lay wood.

ideally i would use Cribbs in all three phases of the game, but only on a limited basis.

on offense i'd have him line up next to the QB as a RB hybrid, especially in 3rd dn situations. he'd offer pass-protection and blitz pick-ups, he can block for others or run the ball himself, catch the ball as a wide-out, or even pass it himself. most importantly he'd function as a supplemental safety-valve for our young quarterbacks as a last resort dump off target. i'd have him around the ball in an opportunistic way, but not expending energy unless necessary.

on D i'd ease him into the secondary in dime situations giving him gradually more as he shows he can take it. i'd try to hold off until the second half of the game for the bulk of his play where it would quickly become a common theme in CLE to unleash a fresh predator on tired D's adding much needed disruptive mayhem late in the game.

using him this way will continue to allow him to contribute to special teams doing the very thing he loves best--tackling returners as the gunner. someone else can return them. too much risk having him on the return team IMO.

and Ytown don't think i'm biting your ideas, you can search my posts and see i said this months ago.

glad we can actually agree on something, playing the devil's advocate has gone over both our heads in previous threads. ^_^

Yea he covers exceptionally well. He can lay the wood. I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do on D. I'd do it in like nickle and dime situations like an above poster said. I"m just worried about him coming up in run support and tryin to knock a RB out cold and hurting himself as well. I saw a couple times he went in for big hits on kick-offs and such and it looked like he may have knocked himself out... but if it'll better our team... I'm all for it

Guest Masters
Why?

Why is it a bigger learning curve? Because the saftey has to fully understand the defensive play call, where every other defensive player is on the field for that play, and be able to read the entire offense. If it is true that Cribbs struggled with learning the playbook and reads at WR (which is less reads and learning), then there is zero reason to believe he can learn even more than he was asked at WR and grasp it all.

Guest Masters
The kid was a QB . If he can read defenses he can learn any position . I am not saying I agree with the decision because I don't . But as far as a learning curve I'd say Josh can learn any of it . jmho

Who says he can read a D? There is a reason he had to move to another positon coming out of college. He also played in a spread running QB offense at college. I am pretty sure reading a D as a QB was never one of Cribbs's better skills.

Guest Masters
Well you have to look at it this way.

He can still return punts and kicks, clearly his most valuble contribution to the team, he's a game changer at the return position.

He never settled in as a WR, I'll never know why, his hands aren't that great, but still....

Dude, I have every single hour of the Browns seasons on my DVR, I have seen Cribbs make more tackles on special teams than our starting linebackers had in games. The kid is a heat seeking missle, every play on kicks and punts you ALWAYS see 16 either on the tackle or very near it.

A move to saftey isn't THAT far fetched, or out of the realm of possibilty of working. He would still contribute in the same way as before, just in a different capacity.

The WildDawg formation is a fad that won't last in the NFL, defensive coordinators will really start hemming that in next season.

A gunner on ST and playing Saftey are night and day. A gunner isn't sifting through his own players and linemen to get to the ball carrier.

Plus, you move Cribbs to saftey, he won't be on special teams anymore. So who replaces all his ST tackles that usually result in no return? Who replaces Cribbs returning KO and PR, which generally gives CLE a shorter field?

Guest Masters
He might not be a gunner, but he can still return kicks

He couldn't. We need to keep in mind Cribbs has bad asthma. Guy needs to suck oxygen after every return or gunning. He moves to saftey he won't return kicks. It would be just like with Ed Reed. Dude was a great PR, but you don't see him out there anymore.

It would be great to have it all ways w/ Cribbs, but the day he becomes more than a #3 WR or moves to DB, his days on ST are completely done.

It would be great to have it all ways w/ Cribbs, but the day he becomes more than a #3 WR or moves to DB, his days on ST are completely done.

As it should be.....good players aren't stuck on ST their whole career.

I could see him remaining on kick returns some, since he would then leave the field to rest.

He doesn't need to covering kicks to then remain on the field to play a defensive position.

If he ends up on offense, reverse the thinking.

But....he won't be on O....he is a defensive player at heart.

Guest Masters
As it should be.....good players aren't stuck on ST their whole career.

I could see him remaining on kick returns some, since he would then leave the field to rest.

He doesn't need to covering kicks to then remain on the field to play a defensive position.

If he ends up on offense, reverse the thinking.

But....he won't be on O....he is a defensive player at heart.

I think Cribbs is just a football player at heart.

Look up my reply on the Sean Jones thread just before his free agency. Most everyone here said we had to sign the guy. i said that he was soft and we need to let him go (only a couple of guys agreed). i also said that i hope the staff gives Cribbs a look at a position somewhere in the DB. (BTW, i also said that he is tough and we know he can tackle, but i have no idea whether he can cover. That is is still true.)

Here is also what i said:

Despite the fact that our D is awful, Crabtree is the only selection at #5 that makes sense. Crabtree and BE make a tandem that is hard to beat in the entire NFL. If we trade BE, then i will back off that selection as i'll have no idea where we're going.

Jamal Lewis will be on our roster. The guy is a tough football player (like Cribbs and unlike Jones). We'll see.

BQ will be the starter. i have repeated that our fans are not mature enough for a true competition at QB. The fans from the current era have cheered Couch when he went down to injury and cheered DA when the same thing happened. Assholes. While i hope the current staff has the balls to be indiffererent, i really don't think that will happen.

roach (i've never booed my QB- even Paul McDonald)

Archived