THE BROWNS BOARD

Connor "holy crap!" Barwin

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

According to one report, Barwin ran a 4.49 40 at his pro day. Not sure how fast a track they have in Cinci, but that's an impressive time on any surface.

At Georgia's pro day, Knowshon Moreno ran his 40 in the high 4.5's - low 4.6's. WR Mohammed Massaquoi timed between 4.47-4.52, significantly better than the 4.6 he ran at the combine.

Also, Matt Stafford supposedly was excellent at the beginning of his workout but then struggled with his accuracy on deep outs. Sounds like he may have done some damage to his draft stock.

According to one report, Barwin ran a 4.49 40 at his pro day. Not sure how fast a track they have in Cinci, but that's an impressive time on any surface.

At Georgia's pro day, Knowshon Moreno ran his 40 in the high 4.5's - low 4.6's. WR Mohammed Massaquoi timed between 4.47-4.52, significantly better than the 4.6 he ran at the combine.

Also, Matt Stafford supposedly was excellent at the beginning of his workout but then struggled with his accuracy on deep outs. Sounds like he may have done some damage to his draft stock.

I'm really starting to like Barwin. I hope we can get him in the second round.

Not at 5....now if there is something to all the Jets/Cutler talk, and we ended up with the Jets pick at #17 and whatever else for Quinn...then Harvin starts to make real sense.

Guest John McClane

Our defense has been suspect ever since we came back, we seriously have a chance to upgrade the talent on defense to get the ball rolling for the long term. I wouldn't pick offense in the top part of the draft unless it was a tackle,guard or center.

Our defense has been suspect ever since we came back, we seriously have a chance to upgrade the talent on defense to get the ball rolling for the long term. I wouldn't pick offense in the top part of the draft unless it was a tackle,guard or center.

I like how the defense got better from 99 to 05 until RAC, then it started regressing each year. And he was supposed to be a defensive guru :rolleyes:

And if we loose Stallworth then what? Would you go WR at #5 or #36?

Guest TheJokersWILD
We can draft Barwin to play LB and if he doesnt work out we could put him back to his natural position TE ;)

Barwin has Vrable written all over him. DRAFT THIS GUY!!!

absolutely....

furthermore, im even more comfortable to trade edwards......

edwards is a mental with a case of the dropsies, and stallworth barely made the field (and didn't do squat when he did).

so, i see no practical difference between 2 overpaid players that are ineffective and 2 average players that may or may not be effective.

im not so disillusioned to think edwards is a #1......thats laughable.

And if we loose Stallworth then what? Would you go WR at #5 or #36?

If you want to take the best player available and draft an impact player with that high draft pick then you take Crabtree. You can get Barwin at #36. And, how much more of an impact would Orakpo be over Barwin. If Barwin is gone there will be simular OLBs available at #36.

My first option would be to trade down, but as we stand now, I would take the best player available if I had to pick at #5. There isn't a defensive player that would be available at #5 that would have the impact of Crabtree.

Guest TheJokersWILD
If you want to take the best player available and draft an impact player with that high draft pick then you take Crabtree. You can get Barwin at #36. And, how much more of an impact would Orakpo be over Barwin. If Barwin is gone there will be simular OLBs available at #36.

My first option would be to trade down, but as we stand now, I would take the best player available if I had to pick at #5. There isn't a defensive player that would be available at #5 that would have the impact of Crabtree.

The only thing I am saying is that I don't think Crabtree will have a huge impact on our offense if we draft him. Instead we can load up on defense that way the new guys will have a full year playing together . Next year when we go offense in the draft we will have a defense to back up the new offensive guys.

Guest TheJokersWILD
According to this board I think we "must" draft about 23 players, all of whom are going to be gone in the top 50.

Maualuga and Barwin are must haves IMO. If we can trade down and pick up an extra pick it would be great.

1st Maualuga

2nd Barwin

2nd Chung or Moore @SS

Not at 5....now if there is something to all the Jets/Cutler talk, and we ended up with the Jets pick at #17 and whatever else for Quinn...then Harvin starts to make real sense.

I understand your point here was to say that Harvin isn't a #5 pick, but how does drafting a kid who made his career off of turning 5yd screens & sweeps into big plays (with the occasional post & corner route) fit with keeping a QB that can't make those throws?

He's Wes Welker, but probably faster.

The only thing I am saying is that I don't think Crabtree will have a huge impact on our offense if we draft him. Instead we can load up on defense that way the new guys will have a full year playing together . Next year when we go offense in the draft we will have a defense to back up the new offensive guys.

Who ele is an impact player, a difference maker, that you can take at #5. Now, I would like to trade down and be able to get some additional picks to upgrade our defense, but if we have to stay at #5 I want an impact player and Crabtree will be the only one there. There isn't a defensive player worth a #5 except Curry. I am including Orakpo and Raji. Crabtree would a a far greater impact then either one.

I'm not saying we don't need to upgrade our defense, but there is good value picks for our defense in the second round.

Decent thread.

I'd love to have Harvin. Would we get laughed at by the Kipers of the world if we took him at 5? Yes. Would I be upset? Heck no.

Shitty year to be saddled with a top-5 pick...the best players aren't going top-5, if that makes any sense.

Guest Aloysius

Am I the only one who's a little bit concerned that Harvin's still struggling with an ankle injury he suffered in November? Or that every scouting report talks about how he's a jerk to teammates and doesn't respond well to hard coaching?

Harvin's incredibly talented, but he's not at all a Mangini type.

Am I the only one who's a little bit concerned that Harvin's still struggling with an ankle injury he suffered in November? Or that every scouting report talks about how he's a jerk to teammates and doesn't respond well to hard coaching?

Harvin's incredibly talented, but he's not at all a Mangini type.

I'd be hoping he grew out of that. :unsure:

Looking at the report, I think the ankle question is moot. He was running pretty well from what I could see.

As to the other stuff....I haven't heard of that problem, and I follow it pretty closely.

I don't have the direct contacts in to the program, but I do have some friends who do.

I am not going to say Percy is some perfect guy, but he isn't a distraction.

Guest Aloysius
Looking at the report, I think the ankle question is moot. He was running pretty well from what I could see.

Harvin reportedly chose not to run a 40 at his pro day because the ankle's still bothering him.

As to the other stuff....I haven't heard of that problem, and I follow it pretty closely.

I don't have the direct contacts in to the program, but I do have some friends who do.

I am not going to say Percy is some perfect guy, but he isn't a distraction.

Here's what PFW has to say about it:

[Harvin] has a supreme sense of entitlement, talks down to coaches and does not take hard coaching well. Questionable character — suspended in high school (unsportsmanlike conduct, inappropriate language and improper contact with an official) and college and identifies with the 757 Virginia Beach neighborhood that produced Lawrence Taylor, Michael Vick and DeAngelo Hall — elite but troubled athletes. Not a likable personality and tends to rub teammates the wrong way. Durability could be an issue — has been dinged throughout career with neck, hamstring and ankle injuries. Had surgery to shave abnormal bone growth off his heel.

And here's a report from a subscription-based draft site:

The explosive personality of Percy Harvin has raised a lot of red flags around the league.

What is known is that Harvin had a lot of problems with his temper during his high school days in Virginia and at one point was deemed ineligible to play high school sports because of a reported altercation with an official during a game. Harvin has also been heard to make a few derogatory comments against several in the Florida Gator program, Tim Tebow included, who Harvin felt was denying him of the attention he deserved. Harvin has been branded by some NFL teams as a "me" player.

These latest revelations plus Harvin's inability to stay healthy has raised a lot of red flags in war rooms around the league and is something to monitor the next eight weeks.

Archived