THE BROWNS BOARD

Combine and Pro Days Overrated

Sony Reed

I am so tired of hearing about what guys ran or lifted at the Combines or there Pro Days, what these guys are doing at the Combine running and throwing in shorts does not tell me what type of football player you will be getting, watching a QB throw with no pass rush whats that going to tell me?

Watch game film of these guys and this will tell you what type of football player you will be drafting.

Do you need to see the 40 times of a Michael Crabtree or Knowshon Moreno to tell you they can play, look at there production in college and who they played against

We looked at the great combine that Kamerion Wimbley had and how has that translated onto the football field

Draft the best football players based on production and what you see on film, if a guy can play and I don't care what he does in shorts at the Combine or his Pro Day

Vernon Gholston had a great Combine, how did he play for the Jets last year and there are many similar cases where scouts/GM's fall in love with what a guy did at the Combine or his Pro Day

I totally concur with your assessment Sony.

As usual your football knowledge is spot on and his obsession with pro day work outs is somewhat silly.

Game speed and game performance is what counts not running or throwing in shorts on turf ......beauty contests end when the whistle blows

I agree.

This is a dangerous time for teams. I think more picks are blow in this period than at any other point in the process.

All of a sudden workout warriors start to look a lot better than they really are and football players who don't possess the 'wow" factor in the gym start to fall despite the fact they got it done on Saturdays..

Andre Smith might be a good example. He has done everything "wrong" in this draft process, yet when you watch his tape, he always seemed to have him man pinned to the ground.

I suspect he will get drafted, and play for some NFL team, at which point he will again be pinning his man to the ground on a regular basis and people will we wondering how they passed on that guy.

It happens every year.

The Mike Mayocks of the world make this process entirely too complicated.

Archived