THE BROWNS BOARD

Larry English for OLB

Thaak

Larry English is a 255 point DE, who translates as an OLB in the NFL. He comes from the Huskies of Northern Illinois. From what I’m reading he’s dynamic and exciting. He won the MAC MVP 2 years running (no other defensive player has done that in the MAC), one of which was a 2-10 season. He had 57 tackles for loss and 32-1/2 sacks in his 4 year collegiate career.

He sounds like a perfect fit for the 3-4… and it might be nice to see the Browns pick him up.

before the combine, i would have said that english would go somewhere in the 18-26 range, but his numbers there weren't great, and that, combined with the weak competition he faced in college, should help push him down into a range where we can get him, especially when combined with connor barwin's recent rise.

english's first step is nothing short of lethal. during senior bowl practices, he easily looked like the best pure pass rusher of the bunch, and he's my personal favorite of this year's crop. it helps his chances of coming to the browns that he's got the size that mangini looks for in his OLBs.

english at 36 would be a great pick. i only hope he's on the board long enough for us to consider it.

I've been saying all along, if you can't trade out of #5 then grab the best player available. If curry is gone then it's crabtree. At #36 there will be 2 of these 3 guys. Barwin, English and Sintim.

You then have your pass rusher and a playmaker on offense and still have a 2nd round pick for a center or SS. You may even have more picks if they trade Anderson.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius

Here's some really good stuff on English:

English scored an impressive 34 on the Wonderlic intelligence test. One scout raved that he plays with a special-forces mentality. “He’ll hunt ball carriers down, he’s as tough as they come,” the scout said. “He probably plays faster than he is, I’d take him (in the last third of the first round). He’s my type of guy.” English played defensive end in college, but a scout for a 3-4 team considered him the second-best outside linebacker prospect in the draft, behind only Orakpo. “He’s produced every year, and it doesn’t matter who they go against,” the scout said. “They went against Big Ten people or whoever and he’s around the quarterback.”

I think English is the most underrated of the DE/OLBs in the draft. But, I think their are teams laying in the weeds at the end of round one that think so also. I'd love to see him there at #36 but I don't think it will happen.

If the Browns take Orakpo at #5, they may also think the English and some of these other guys will be slipping into the bottom of the first round. there's something like 13 teams that will be playing the 3-4 this year. Hybrid 3-4 OLBs are in very high demand.

Considering Jason Taylor went in the 3rd round English is getting quite a bit of love out there and it probably is due to the amount of teams running the 3/4 but that Wonderlic certainly can't hurt. I kind of like Mack at pick 29 (assuming here) but if English were to be there and they took someone besides Orakpo I would not have a problem with it.

Curry and English would be nice scores but you better start finding someone to play wideout at that point. No matter how many picks they get it's still not enough so move Dexter now please.

Archived