THE BROWNS BOARD

The World We Live In.

Hartford School Principals To Get Training on LGBT Issues

By Vanessa de la Torrecontact the reporter

Hartford school principals to be trained on LGBT issues

HARTFORD — School principals in the city will receive mandatory training next academic year on how to create a more inclusive environment for students who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender, district officials and legal advocates said.

The training, in partnership with legal groups that represent LGBT students and their families, will include an overview on anti-discrimination laws, proper terminology and how to navigate personal views on homosexuality, for instance, while abiding by professional obligations to protect students.

Central office administrators will also be trained on LGBT issues in August as part of the district's professional development for the 2015-16 year. The nonprofit True Colors will lead the instruction, said David Medina, a schools spokesman.

Advocates on Tuesday did not cite a specific incident that prompted the training, but said more LGBT awareness was needed and credited the school system for being "proactive."

"We'd heard from people that ... the district could do better by these students, and we thought the district might be open to that," said Vickie Henry, youth initiative director for the Boston-based Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders. "And we were right."

In a statement, Superintendent Beth Schiavino-Narvaez said "providing a welcoming environment for all students is central to my stated goal of achieving educational excellence throughout the school system — no exceptions."

Giovanna Shay, litigation and advocacy director for Greater Hartford Legal Aid, said the organization has clients who have raised the issue of LGBT tolerance, although she declined to get into details.

"Parents want their families to be respected and they want schools to be safe, and this is one part of that," Shay said. "Training for those folks is important because they're the leaders and they help to set a tone."

In 2011, a glittery musical presented at Hartford Public High School as part of an anti-bullying initiative drew national attention because of the reaction among students who witnessed a brief same-sex kiss.

After two male actors shared a peck on stage, there were shrieks and shouts and dozens of teenagers who stormed out of the auditorium, including a few wearing their school football jerseys.

At the time, the principal of the school's Law and Government Academy, who was a supporter of the Gay-Straight Alliance, said some students had jokingly nicknamed his academy the "lesbian and gay academy."

Advocacy groups reached out to Hartford schools several months ago about the training, said Henry, who advises other districts to follow the lead. At a minimum, she said, administrators can consider the legal liability if anti-discrimination laws are violated.

"For one, I think it's the right thing to do — students really need support," Henry said. "But part of the mission of schools is to educate, and so making sure the educators are educated seems like a wise move."

Copyright © 2015, Hartford Courant

>>and? Doesn't sound like a bad idea given that more and more kids are coming out earlier in their lives instead of suppressing it deep into their middle ages.>>

Well, there quite a few 'minority groups' that aren't getting the same focus.

Around here - any way - teaching is all about Test Scores, Test Scores, and Test Scores.

While I believe the tests are being used in the wrong way - to improve property values - I know that Public School Teachers are being more and more scrutinized for the Test Scores of their students. In fact, compensation and job security are linked.

Maybe not a bad idea, like you said, but is this newsworthy?????????????????????????????????

Well, there quite a few 'minority groups' that aren't getting the same focus.

Around here - any way - teaching is all about Test Scores, Test Scores, and Test Scores.

While I believe the tests are being used in the wrong way - to improve property values - I know that Public School Teachers are being more and more scrutinized for the Test Scores of their students. In fact, compensation and job security are linked.

Maybe not a bad idea, like you said, but is this newsworthy?????????????????????????????????

You are the one who posted it here, it is "Local" news worthy though national news not really, I assume the Hartford Courant is the Akron Beacon or Plain Dealer version of Hartford.

It's part of the national news. It's a major liberal/leftwing culture war

against American family values. They want to tear that down,

while rebuilding the democrat leftist fringe power base into the

major player.

And to the left, all fringes must win, one way or another.

It's part of the national news. It's a major liberal/leftwing culture war

against American family values. They want to tear that down,

while rebuilding the democrat leftist fringe power base into the

major player.

And to the left, all fringes must win, one way or another.

how are they tearing down family values by giving teachers extra training on how to deal with lesbian or gay students? They're not being taught to promote homosexuality which I know is your people's overriding emotional knee jerkery. But it's simply another false narrative from that side

how are they tearing down family values by giving teachers extra training on how to deal with lesbian or gay students? They're not being taught to promote homosexuality which I know is your people's overriding emotional knee jerkery. But it's simply another false narrative from that side

A mamma and papa with kids and a dog having traditional roles is considered an "artificial social construct" to extreme leftists. You weren't just born yesterday Cleve.

Archived