THE BROWNS BOARD

Lewis may be in as the #5

Oldcrow1945

After another good appearance Friday it is looking like Scott Lewis may have taken the lead for the Tribe's last spot in the rotation. After Carl Pavano pitched like Carl again yesterday, Lewis came in and shut the A's down in 5 inning of work.

Lewis went 4-0 with an ERA in the mid 2's alst year when called up. I was actually shocked that he wasn't the favorite to win the 5th spot coming into camp.

I'd personally like to see Lewis, Sowers and/or Laffey make it while Pavano gets sent packing. But this stiff will end up being the #3 or #4 starter behind Lee, Carmona and Reyes.

Pluto agrees with you that Lewis is looking like the favorite for the 5 spot:

Ten things about the Indians ...

1. Some panicked fans emailed me to reassure them that Cliff Lee will not be terrible this season. I admit to be a little alarmed by Mr. Cy Young giving up 19 hits and 14 earned runs in 6 2/3 innings. OK, last spring, Lee had an 8.31 ERA (17 hits, 8 ER in 8 2/3 innings over four starts). He did have a strong final outing, allowing one run in four innings. Want more? ESPN's Jayson Stark wrote that former Tribe pitcher Kevin Millwood (like Lee) gave up 10 runs in a preseason game, and both will be opening day pitchers in Texas on April 6.

2. The Indians have been very impressed with how Ben Francisco has improved in the outfield, and went into the weekend hitting .303. He secured his spot in left field.

3. The Indians would have liked David Huff to stay in the mix for a starting spot in the rotation, but didn't want him taking any chances with the bicep tendinitis that bothered him early in camp. He is fine and pitching, but he does have a history of some arm problems as he missed the final three months of 2007. He will let him open at Class AAA Columbus. Huff has only 214 pro innings, so he can use the experience.

4. One of the most impressive pitchers in camp was Tony Sipp. He also will open in Columbus to get experience as Sipp missed all of 2007 with Tommy John surgery, then pitched only 34 innings last season. But he could be an early call-up if the bullpen needs help.

5. Zach Jackson probably won't win a spot in the rotation, but the Indians think he can help in the bullpen. Jeremy Sowers, Scott Lewis and Aaron Laffey will continue to battle for the No. 5 spot in the rotation. Lewis has emerged as a favorite.

6. The Indians expect Kelly Shoppach's defense (both throwing and blocking balls in the dirt) should be better this year. He played the last three months of 2008 with a knee that required surgery immediately after the season, and that did affect his defense.

7. Josh Barfield plays nearly every day, somewhere from the outfield to third to second base. He works hard, does a decent job in the field, but he's just not hitting. Entering the weekend, he had two extra-base hits and two walks in 44 at-bats, hitting only .205.

8. A year ago, the Indians cut Aaron Fultz and ate his $1.5 million contract. If Masa Kobayashi doesn't finish strong, they could do the same to him -- even with $3 million guaranteed.

9. GM Mark Shapiro makes a very good point about Matt LaPorta. While the slugger is 24, he has had only one full season (2008) of pro ball (.279, 22 HR, 74 RBI, .924 OPS in 101 games). He signed out of the University of Florida in 2007, and had only 115 at-bats in Class A. In other words, he's got 477 pro at-bats.

10. Compare that to Michael Brantley, who won't be 22 until May 15 but already has 1,392 pro at-bats. Both players were impressive this spring and the C.C. Sabathia deal could really pay off by the middle of this season if one of these outfielders is promoted from Columbus.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index....about_mang.html

Beanpot

And here's the latest from Castro:

*The Indians, iffy in the rotation, have to be encouraged by Anthony Reyes' spring. Not only has he avoided any trouble with that right elbow, but his ERA is now a miniscule 0.75 after his fourth outing today. He went five scoreless innings, allowing just two hits with two strikeouts.

*Kind of figured this all along, but I can't help but doubt Jeremy Sowers wins the fifth starting job. He's just far too inconsistent.

*Mark DeRosa will start at first base for Team USA in Sunday's semifinal game against Japan. The game is at 8 p.m. ET.

*DeRosa is 5-for-15 with a homer and seven RBIs in five Classic games. "I've played exceedingly more than I expected," DeRosa said. "I think I'm far ahead, as at-bats are concerned."

*Shin-Soo Choo has flown all over the world to collect one hit thus far. He's 1-for-10 with a walk and two strikeouts in five games.

*Nice to see a sellout at Goodyear Ballpark. Although, a good chunk of the crowd was clogging up the concourse for the majority of the game, because it was too hot to sit in the seats.

*Words of wisdom from Bob Feller: "The easiest bet in Vegas is the winner of the Grapefruit League and Cactus League titles won't win the World Series. The St. Louis Browns used to always win [in Spring Training], and those were the only games they ever won."

*More words of wisdom from Bob Feller: "What do you do when you can't hit a curveball? Get a typewriter." Yep, here I am.

*OK, one last note from Rapid Robert. He told a story about long-ago Indians first baseman Lew Fonseca. Feller said Fonseca told him that in 1929 he held out all winter and all spring before finally signing his contract on Opening Day. Fonseca missed batting practice that day and had a nice game. The next day, he skipped it again and had another nice game. So Fonseca began skipping it every day, all year. He went on to hit .369 and win the AL batting title that season. "So much for Spring Training," Feller said. Amen to that.

http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/archives/20...ow_or_else.html

Beanpot

Assenheimer looks at the battle for the final spots on the roster:

Indians commentary: Lewis, Saarloos and Graffanino should get final jobs

Chris Assenheimer | The Chronicle-Telegram

The Indians entered training camp with three major decisions to make — the fifth starter in the rotation, the final spot in the bullpen and the last position player.

Nothing has been officially decided on any front with less than two weeks remaining before Cleveland leaves Goodyear, Ariz., for a pair of exhibition games in Houston. But there have been cases made in each department.

Here’s how it will most likely play out — at least in this guy’s not-so-humble opinion:

• Indians manager Eric Wedge won’t say it, but Scott Lewis appears to have nudged his way into the lead in the race for the fifth spot in the rotation.

The Ohio State product has outperformed his competition — fellow left-handers Aaron Laffey and Jeremy Sowers — for the majority of the spring.

Laffey and Sowers have more big league experience. Sowers, a former No. 1 draft choice, has made 49 starts over the past three seasons, and Laffey, who was a member of Cleveland’s playoff roster in 2007, started 25 times over the past two years.

But that could work against both of them and for Lewis, who made four impressive starts for the Indians at the end of last season, going 4-0 with a 2.63 ERA. The Indians have already seen what Laffey and Sowers can do, and they obviously haven’t done enough to lock down a spot in the rotation.

Why not give Lewis the opportunity to finish what he started in 2008? All three pitchers have minor league options, so if Lewis can’t do the job, the Indians can always go down to Triple-A Columbus and get one of the other two.

• The battle for the final spot in the bullpen is officially a five-armed race among Zach Jackson, Kirk Saarloos, Vinnie Chulk, Edward Mujica and Matt Herges.

But in reality, it’s probably down to three: Jackson, who was acquired in the trade with Milwaukee for CC Sabathia, Saarloos and Chulk, both of whom signed free-agent contracts in the offseason.

Herges is an over-the-hill pitcher who turns 40 on April 1 and is coming off a largely ineffective season with Colorado, where he posted a 5.04 ERA in 58 games, with the opposition batting .304.

Mujica is without minor league options, but the Indians have probably seen enough of the right-hander, who began his career with them as a non-drafted free agent in 2001. Cleveland fans sure have.

Mujica has had stints with the Indians over the past three seasons and has yet to prove he can pitch effectively on the major league level.

That leaves the two veterans — Saarloos and Chulk — and Jackson as the prime candidates.

Chulk has been strictly a reliever since 2004, while Jackson and Saarloos have pitched out of the rotation and the bullpen as recent as last season. Jackson joined Cleveland’s starting staff for nine outings in 2008 and went 2-3 with a 5.60 ERA.

The versatility probably tips the scales in that duo’s favor, since Chulk has been solid but not spectacular this spring. And he probably needed to be spectacular to win the job.

It’s going to come down to Jackson or Saarloos, and Jackson has a minor league option available. The Indians might just use it and keep Saarloos. Again, if he can’t do the job, they can always beckon Jackson from Columbus.

• The least significant decision the Indians need to make is in the utility department, where Josh Barfield, Tony Graffanino and Trevor Crowe are vying to become the final position player on the opening-day roster.

Barfield, a career middle infielder and the Indians’ opening-day starter at second base in 2007, has been playing the outfield and third base this spring. That appears to give him an edge.

Still, Barfield hasn’t been the hitter he was during an impressive rookie season with the Padres in 2006, one that prompted the Indians to trade promising third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff, who has flourished with the Padres.

The Indians already have a utility infielder in Jamey Carroll and an extra outfielder in David Dellucci. If they’re looking for a pinch hitter off the bench, Graffanino might be the best option.

The veteran of 12 big league seasons is a career .267 hitter and batted .315 in 25 games for Triple-A Buffalo last year after recovering from right knee surgery. He’s hitting .345 in 13 exhibition games, while Barfield has lagged to a .205 average with two RBIs through 16 games.

Crowe, the 14th overall pick in the 2005 draft, has opened some eyes with his speed this spring, but his future in the big leagues appears to be at least a year away.

It’s going to come down to Barfield or Graffanino, and though the Indians should probably choose the veteran bat, they will most likely go with Barfield and ask Graffanino to begin the season as Columbus’ shortstop.

http://www.chroniclet.com/2009/03/22/india...final-jobs_122/

And here's Ocker with a nice column complete with his guess at the 2012 Tribe lineup:

OCKER: Wondering about world of the Tribe

By Sheldon Ocker

Beacon Journal sports writer

POSTED: 06:06 p.m. EDT, Mar 21, 2009

GOODYEAR, ARIZ.:Things I wonder about:

• What if Travis Hafner doesn't hit?

Sometimes it takes several months for a player to regain his timing, his batting eye and his swing following surgery. Hafner, as we know, underwent an operation on his shoulder in October.

So far, Hafner has not shown that he is ready to resume his role as the Indians' No. 1 run producer. He has not hit many balls with authority, and he seems to have problems laying off bad pitches and swinging at good ones. Judgment and discipline were two of Hafner's strongest attributes when he was riding high.

If it were just a matter of Hafner regaining his entire inventory of skills and scraping off the rust following surgery, time probably would take care of any problems. It might take a month, maybe three, but General Manager Mark Shapiro and manager Eric Wedge could be reasonably certain that a 35-home run, 120-RBI version of Hafner would be anchoring the middle of the lineup before long.

But even before Hafner's shoulder began to ache and weaken early in 2008, he lurched through 2007, trying to shake an on-again, off-again slump that lasted the entire season. Nobody can say for sure what caused Hafner's fortunes to sag. But one thing is certain: After a while, you could tell he was thinking about it when he stood in the batter's box.

So is that batting skid still in Hafner's head? Is his psyche so fragile that his one subpar season stuffs his brain with negative thoughts every time he goes 0-for-5 or fails to hit a home run for 10 days? Is that what's happening now, even in spring training, when results don't count?

There will be no way to know until at least May, but you can bet that Wedge and Shapiro already have a contingency plan. Like turning Ryan Garko and Victor Martinez into part-time designated hitters.

• Does Shapiro have a serious interest in Pedro Martinez?

The GM seems to have made inquiries about the former Boston Red Sox ace over the winter. As recently as last week, there was a rumor repeated by a New York writer that the Tribe was interested in Martinez. Is this a starter Shapiro should covet?

For me, no. Martinez, 37, no longer throws hard and has been beset by injuries the past few years. Yes, he still knows how to pitch — does he ever — but age and infirmity have made his margin for error razor thin.

Interest in him probably rose at least a little after his worthy performances for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic. But even if Martinez has come down from his winter asking price — allegedly between $5 million and $8 million — he is not worth the risk, especially to the Indians, who have viable options in Jeremy Sowers, Aaron Laffey and Scott Lewis, the trio of lefties competing for the fifth spot in the rotation.

• What are the chances that Shapiro would trade Michael Aubrey?

Not that the GM would get much for Aubrey, but it would be an act of kindness to a kid who is ready to play in the big leagues but probably will never play for the Indians, barring a set of highly unusual circumstances.

With a relatively youthful Ryan Garko on the big-league roster, Beau Mills and Matt LaPorta (who also plays left field) climbing the ladder in the minors, it isn't likely that Aubrey will squeeze his way onto the Tribe's roster. Not this year, next year or any year.

There are only two things Aubrey can do well: hit and play defense, which is why I would like to see him get a chance to prove himself. The problem is that there is no compelling baseball reason for Shapiro to trade him.

• Is there something special about Mills?

He is at least a year away from a trial by fire in the big leagues, and he's not yet a finished product at the plate or first base. But there's one thing he can do: When he gets his pitch, he turns on the ball with ferocity, launching drives that often clear the right-field fence.

Lots of players try to pull pitches; some wayward batsmen try to pull every pitch. That's not what I mean. Mills might have plenty of other things to learn about hitting, but he seems to know when he can jump on a pitch and swing aggressively.

• Who will play regularly for the Indians in 2012?

At this point, you might say, ''Who cares?'' Nevertheless, with a plethora (that is, a bunch) of highly touted minor-leaguers in camp, it might be fun to guess what will happen to them — at least some of them.

The reality is that a few of these prospects probably will become impact players, others will be traded, an unknown luckless number might have their careers ruined by injuries, and there will be those who just don't make it.

Obviously, my list of 2012 regulars does not take into account the signing of free agents or the acquisition of players in trades. With that in mind, here is the Tribe's Opening Day lineup three years hence:

1B — Beau Mills.

2B — Luis Valbuena.

3B — Wes Hodges.

SS — Asdrubal Cabrera.

C — Carlos Santana.

LF — platoon of Michael Brantley and Matt LaPorta.

CF — Grady Sizemore.

RF — Shin-Soo Choo.

DH — Victor Martinez.

While I'm at it, I might as well take a stab at the pitching staff.

The top three starters:

1. Fausto Carmona.

2. Hector Rondon.

3. Scott Lewis.

Closer — Rafael Perez.

Setup man — Jensen Lewis.

So what happens to Travis Hafner, Cliff Lee, Ryan Garko, Jhonny Peralta, Ben Francisco, Jeremy Sowers, Kelly Shoppach, Aaron Laffey and other current stalwarts who will be young enough to be viable contributors in 2012?

You tell me.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/ocker/41631892.html

Pluto agrees with you that Lewis is looking like the favorite for the 5 spot:

Ten things about the Indians ...

9. GM Mark Shapiro makes a very good point about Matt LaPorta. While the slugger is 24, he has had only one full season (2008) of pro ball (.279, 22 HR, 74 RBI, .924 OPS in 101 games). He signed out of the University of Florida in 2007, and had only 115 at-bats in Class A. In other words, he's got 477 pro at-bats.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index....about_mang.html

Beanpot

It is a good point. But top level college baseball is about like AA ball, and the SEC is pretty stout in baseball with teams like LSU, Miss St, Tennessee.

The pitching isn't as deep, but on any weekend series, the pitching is on par with AA ball, and occasionally with AAA ball.

It isn't like he hasn't faced top players in his past.

I understand in the signing of prospects, MLB pays out more to pitchers to keep them from going the college route, but college baseball isn't what it was 20 years ago.

Many kids want to at least get 2-3 years of the education wrapped up before signing.

IMO I wish baseball would adopt a policy they can't sign anybody before their 20th birthday....period.

It is a good point. But top level college baseball is about like AA ball, and the SEC is pretty stout in baseball with teams like LSU, Miss St, Tennessee.

The pitching isn't as deep, but on any weekend series, the pitching is on par with AA ball, and occasionally with AAA ball.

Really I disagree, On average I think that College ball reaches A ball level and that is it. Sure there are exceptions to the rule on staffs but i think that a good AA team would take apart a college pitcher.

IMO I wish baseball would adopt a policy they can't sign anybody before their 20th birthday....period.

What about the kids who don't want to go to college? Where would you have them play?

And here's Ocker with a nice column complete with his guess at the 2012 Tribe lineup:

OCKER: Wondering about world of the Tribe

By Sheldon Ocker

Beacon Journal sports writer

POSTED: 06:06 p.m. EDT, Mar 21, 2009

GOODYEAR, ARIZ.:Things I wonder about:

• What if Travis Hafner doesn't hit?

Sometimes it takes several months for a player to regain his timing, his batting eye and his swing following surgery. Hafner, as we know, underwent an operation on his shoulder in October.

So far, Hafner has not shown that he is ready to resume his role as the Indians' No. 1 run producer. He has not hit many balls with authority, and he seems to have problems laying off bad pitches and swinging at good ones. Judgment and discipline were two of Hafner's strongest attributes when he was riding high.

If it were just a matter of Hafner regaining his entire inventory of skills and scraping off the rust following surgery, time probably would take care of any problems. It might take a month, maybe three, but General Manager Mark Shapiro and manager Eric Wedge could be reasonably certain that a 35-home run, 120-RBI version of Hafner would be anchoring the middle of the lineup before long.

But even before Hafner's shoulder began to ache and weaken early in 2008, he lurched through 2007, trying to shake an on-again, off-again slump that lasted the entire season. Nobody can say for sure what caused Hafner's fortunes to sag. But one thing is certain: After a while, you could tell he was thinking about it when he stood in the batter's box.

So is that batting skid still in Hafner's head? Is his psyche so fragile that his one subpar season stuffs his brain with negative thoughts every time he goes 0-for-5 or fails to hit a home run for 10 days? Is that what's happening now, even in spring training, when results don't count?

There will be no way to know until at least May, but you can bet that Wedge and Shapiro already have a contingency plan. Like turning Ryan Garko and Victor Martinez into part-time designated hitters.

• Does Shapiro have a serious interest in Pedro Martinez?

The GM seems to have made inquiries about the former Boston Red Sox ace over the winter. As recently as last week, there was a rumor repeated by a New York writer that the Tribe was interested in Martinez. Is this a starter Shapiro should covet?

For me, no. Martinez, 37, no longer throws hard and has been beset by injuries the past few years. Yes, he still knows how to pitch — does he ever — but age and infirmity have made his margin for error razor thin.

Interest in him probably rose at least a little after his worthy performances for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic. But even if Martinez has come down from his winter asking price — allegedly between $5 million and $8 million — he is not worth the risk, especially to the Indians, who have viable options in Jeremy Sowers, Aaron Laffey and Scott Lewis, the trio of lefties competing for the fifth spot in the rotation.

• What are the chances that Shapiro would trade Michael Aubrey?

Not that the GM would get much for Aubrey, but it would be an act of kindness to a kid who is ready to play in the big leagues but probably will never play for the Indians, barring a set of highly unusual circumstances.

With a relatively youthful Ryan Garko on the big-league roster, Beau Mills and Matt LaPorta (who also plays left field) climbing the ladder in the minors, it isn't likely that Aubrey will squeeze his way onto the Tribe's roster. Not this year, next year or any year.

There are only two things Aubrey can do well: hit and play defense, which is why I would like to see him get a chance to prove himself. The problem is that there is no compelling baseball reason for Shapiro to trade him.

• Is there something special about Mills?

He is at least a year away from a trial by fire in the big leagues, and he's not yet a finished product at the plate or first base. But there's one thing he can do: When he gets his pitch, he turns on the ball with ferocity, launching drives that often clear the right-field fence.

Lots of players try to pull pitches; some wayward batsmen try to pull every pitch. That's not what I mean. Mills might have plenty of other things to learn about hitting, but he seems to know when he can jump on a pitch and swing aggressively.

• Who will play regularly for the Indians in 2012?

At this point, you might say, ''Who cares?'' Nevertheless, with a plethora (that is, a bunch) of highly touted minor-leaguers in camp, it might be fun to guess what will happen to them — at least some of them.

The reality is that a few of these prospects probably will become impact players, others will be traded, an unknown luckless number might have their careers ruined by injuries, and there will be those who just don't make it.

Obviously, my list of 2012 regulars does not take into account the signing of free agents or the acquisition of players in trades. With that in mind, here is the Tribe's Opening Day lineup three years hence:

1B — Beau Mills.

2B — Luis Valbuena.

3B — Wes Hodges.

SS — Asdrubal Cabrera.

C — Carlos Santana.

LF — platoon of Michael Brantley and Matt LaPorta.

CF — Grady Sizemore.

RF — Shin-Soo Choo.

DH — Victor Martinez.

While I'm at it, I might as well take a stab at the pitching staff.

The top three starters:

1. Fausto Carmona.

2. Hector Rondon.

3. Scott Lewis.

Closer — Rafael Perez.

Setup man — Jensen Lewis.

So what happens to Travis Hafner, Cliff Lee, Ryan Garko, Jhonny Peralta, Ben Francisco, Jeremy Sowers, Kelly Shoppach, Aaron Laffey and other current stalwarts who will be young enough to be viable contributors in 2012?

You tell me.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/ocker/41631892.html

I still think Laporta is a future first baseman. There is no way you platoon two guys like LaPorta and Brantley. Whatever happens Positionally,These guys were brought in for C.C. to be stars...Not Platoon players.

What are you going to do? Leadoff with Brantley and then when he doesn't play move Sizemore to the #1 spot? I don't think so.

Managers, and Wedge especially, wants their #1 to be set.

What is Ocker thinking?

I still think Laporta is a future first baseman. There is no way you platoon two guys like LaPorta and Brantley. Whatever happens Positionally,These guys were brought in for C.C. to be stars...Not Platoon players.

What are you going to do? Leadoff with Brantley and then when he doesn't play move Sizemore to the #1 spot? I don't think so.

Managers, and Wedge especially, wants their #1 to be set.

What is Ocker thinking?

Agreed. Pretty strange lineup all the way around. Victor at 33 would be a below average DH to me, even if he returns to his old self. 20-25 HR, .300 avg and no speed? Great numbers for a catcher, not for a DH or 1B, especially when we have guys like LaPorta and Weglarz who look like elite, 30-35 HR+ hitters possibly manning those two slots. I think once our youngsters start proving themselves we'll have plenty of trade bait for some front of the rotation pitching help. I think we'll have to start counting on LaPorta heavily, and pretty soon....so he'll stay. If we can do a Hamilton/Volquez type trade with Weglarz or Mills for a top end starter, and likely having Shoppach (replaced by Santana) and Choo (replaced by Brantley) to trade for some more help....this team will be dangerous for years.

And for the original topic....Lewis does look good. It's been a fun battle to watch especially as it looks like it's down to your guy vs. my guy. May the best man win.

Agreed. Pretty strange lineup all the way around. Victor at 33 would be a below average DH to me, even if he returns to his old self. 20-25 HR, .300 avg and no speed? Great numbers for a catcher, not for a DH or 1B, especially when we have guys like LaPorta and Weglarz who look like elite, 30-35 HR+ hitters possibly manning those two slots. I think once our youngsters start proving themselves we'll have plenty of trade bait for some front of the rotation pitching help. I think we'll have to start counting on LaPorta heavily, and pretty soon....so he'll stay. If we can do a Hamilton/Volquez type trade with Weglarz or Mills for a top end starter, and likely having Shoppach (replaced by Santana) and Choo (replaced by Brantley) to trade for some more help....this team will be dangerous for years.

And for the original topic....Lewis does look good. It's been a fun battle to watch especially as it looks like it's down to your guy vs. my guy. May the best man win.

Hey CIMO.....If it were up to me both Lewis and Laffey or Sowers would be on the starting staff. I like Aaron a lot. The kid has the kind of attitude a pitcher needs. I think he plays well beyond his years. Or at least he sure did when he was first called up by the Tribe. I hope he's an Indian for a long time.

I pull for Lewis for several reasons. If not for Tommy John surgery he was probably going to be a 1st round draft choice. He's battled injuries for years and seems to have finally battled back. I love the fact that although he isn't a hard thrower, he is a big strikeout guy. His K's to BB's is what I really like. His curveball can be nasty at times. Finally, he's a Buckeye too.

I agree with all of your post. I think there are going to be many moves with the current 40 man roster in the next year or so. Probably to pick up pitching and a Power hitter as it's looking like Hafner may not be back. That may be a little premature but I'm sure the Indians are concerned after watching him in the spring.

I could see any various combos of these guys on the trading block. Francisco, Shappoch, Choo, Weglarz, Aubrey, Mills, Gimenez, and Crowe.

If Hafner does falter, I agree that we'll be seeing Laporta soon. They'll need another big bat and he seems to be the big bat that is the closest to being ready. He also gives Wedge even more options as he can play left, 1st and and DH.

A Hamilton for Volquez type trade would be wonderful. But don't you think it's tough to get a hitter like Hamilton unless you are willing to give up a top pitching prospect?

Indians on the mound: A day after being named the Indians' No. 4 starter, Scott Lewis was roughed up for five runs on eight hits with two walks and two strikeouts in three innings. He didn't show the precise command that had made him so effective in his bid to win the job, and it got particularly ugly in that three-homer third. Rafael Betancourt worked a scoreless fourth. Masa Kobayashi had his strongest outing of a tough spring, working two scoreless innings and striking out four.

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/arti...sp&c_id=cle

Not the greatest showing after being named the starter, but oh well. This team will still be relying heavily on offense and the bullpen this year.

also...

A Hamilton for Volquez type trade would be wonderful. But don't you think it's tough to get a hitter like Hamilton unless you are willing to give up a top pitching prospect?

I do. I'm hoping Weglarz or Mills emerges as that kind of hitting prospect (smaller scale of course), where we would get the Volquez of the deal. I don't think we're hurting for offense at all in the pipeline, we desperately need to get some front of the rotation calibur starters in our system AND in Cleveland.

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/arti...sp&c_id=cle

I do. I'm hoping Weglarz or Mills emerges as that kind of hitting prospect (smaller scale of course), where we would get the Volquez of the deal. I don't think we're hurting for offense at all in the pipeline, we desperately need to get some front of the rotation calibur starters in our system AND in Cleveland.

I'm hoping Sipp continues to battle back in AAA. He was so close then really fell off after the Tommy John Surgery.

I'd love to see this guy go to Columbus and have a great season to give the Tribe more options.

Archived