THE BROWNS BOARD

Wonderlic scores

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius
Georgia's Matthew Stafford stands out with NFL Wonderlic score

A poor score on the Wonderlic test can threaten a player's draft stock. The test, which measures problem-solving ability, features 50 questions and a 12-minute time limit. Test-takers are given one point for each correct answer. This year no player hurt himself terribly with a poor Wonderlic score. Here are some of the more interesting results.

Quarterbacks: With his pro day workout last week, Georgia's Matthew Stafford showed himself to be in a class by himself, and he also was in a class by himself among the top quarterbacks with regards to the Wonderlic. He scored 38. USC's Mark Sanchez scored 28 and Kansas State's Josh Freeman 27. All are acceptable scores for quarterbacks.

Wide receivers: NFL teams would like for receivers' test scores to be about 18, but several of the top prospects fell below that mark. Michael Crabtree of Texas Tech scored 15, Darrius Heyward-Bey of Maryland scored 14, Percy Harvin of Florida scored 12 and Hakeem Nicks of North Carolina scored 11. The test result is particularly interesting in the case of Harvin, who will have more learning to do than the others based on the offense he played in at Florida and the fact he could be used in multiple roles. Jeremy Maclin of Missouri was outstanding by comparison with a 25 test score.

Offensive tackles: None of the tackles were too far off the acceptable mark. Andre Smith of Alabama scored 17, which is borderline. Faring much better was Arizona's Eben Britton with 31. Others: Eugene Monroe of Virginia had 24, Jason Smith of Baylor 23 and Michael Oher of Mississippi 19.

Linebackers: Three linebackers from USC could be chosen in the first round, but probably not in the order of their Wonderlic scores. Clay Matthews scored 27, Brian Cushing 23 and Rey Maualuga 15. Maualuga's score is slightly troubling considering he likely will be a middle linebacker who is asked to call the defenses.

Defensive backs: Two scores stood out. Maryland cornerback Kevin Barnes scored 41, and Western Michigan safety Louis Delmas scored 12. One front office man said he was not concerned about Delmas' score because he plays smart. Delmas still could be the first safety chosen.

Linebackers: Three linebackers from USC could be chosen in the first round, but probably not in the order of their Wonderlic scores. Clay Matthews scored 27, Brian Cushing 23 and Rey Maualuga 15. Maualuga's score is slightly troubling considering he likely will be a middle linebacker who is asked to call the defenses.

Ironically, that's exactly where each of those guys could get drafted (#'s of Wonderlic - not ranking).

I'm actually impressed with Rey's score. After his impromptu Erin Andrews' shenanigans, I would have bet the farm on a single digit Wonderlic.

Defensive backs: Two scores stood out. Maryland cornerback Kevin Barnes scored 41, and Western Michigan safety Louis Delmas scored 12. One front office man said he was not concerned about Delmas' score because he plays smart. Delmas still could be the first safety chosen.

wow!

I remember seeing sample Wonderlic questions with a test format last year somewhere. It is not that hard at all. It is something I would expect my kids to get in Jr High for crying out loud.

Some of these clowns are obviously pushed through based on their athletics rather than their academics. But we already know that.

I think Pat McInally had a perfect 50, and Ryan Fitzpatrick was supposedly to have had that, but admitted leaving some questions blank. He ended up with a 38, but he completed the test in a record nine minutes.

Check this out - avg. scores considered acceptable:

* Offensive tackle - 26

* Center - 25

* Quarterback - 24

* Guard - 23

* Tight end - 22

* Safety - 19

* Linebacker - 19

* Cornerback - 18

* Wide receiver - 17

* Fullback - 17

* Halfback - 16

And then some composite professions:

* Chemist - 31

* Programmer - 29

* Journalist - 26

* Sales - 24

* Bank teller - 22

* Clerical worker - 21

* Security guard - 17

* Warehouse - 15

Shows you the likely profession of some of these blockheads if it weren't for football!!

Sample questions from a google search.

1. A physical education class has three times as many girls as boys. During a class basketball game, the girls average 18 points each, and the class as a whole averages 17 points per person. How many points does each boy score on average?

2. Randolph has 8 ties, 6 pairs of pants, and 4 dress shirts. How many days could he possibly go without wearing the same combination of these three items?

3. John is a mechanic. He makes $8.50 an hour, plus $3 extra for every oil change he performs. Last week he worked 36 hours and performed 17 oil changes. How much money did he make?

4. A box of staples has a length of 6 cm, a width of 7 cm, and a volume of 378 cm cubed. What is the height of the box?

5. What is the average of all of the integers from 13 to 37?

6. A basketball player averaged 20 points a game over the course of six games. His scores in five of those games were 23, 18, 16, 24, and 27. How many points did he score in the sixth game?

7. Arnold is about to go on a 500-mile car trip. His mechanic recommends that he buy a special highway engine oil that will save him 50 cents in gas for every 25 miles of the trip. This new oil, however, will cost $20. Is it worthwhile for Arnold to buy the oil if he has a coupon for $4 dollars off the price?

Answer Key:

1. Answer: 14. Since the class has three times as many girls as boys, the class is composed of 75% girls and 25% boys. To find the number of points each boy scores on average, we solve the following equation: 0.75*18 + 0.25*X = 17, where X is the number of points each boy scores on average. Solving for X gives X = 14, so the boys average 14 points per game.

2. Answer: 192 days. There are 48 different combinations of ties and shirts (8 different ties for each of the 6 pairs of pants), and then four different shirts for each of these combinations. In numerical form: 8 x 6 x 4 = 192.

3. Answer: $357. John's base wage can be figured by multiplying his pay per hour by the number of hours he worked: $8.50 x 36 = 306. His bonus for oil changes is calculated by multiplying the payment per oil change by the number of oil changes performed: 17 x 3 = 51. These two products can then be added together.

4. Answer: 9 cm. Volume is calculated as the product of length, width, and height, so if height is set as Y: 6 x 7 x Y = 378. This can be rearranged to 378 / 42 = Y = 9.

5. Answer: 25. This kind of problem can be easily solved by simply finding the average of the two extremes in the range: (13 + 37) / 2 = 25.

6. Answer: 12 points.

7. Answer: No. Arnold will only save $10 by using the oil (.5 x (500 / 25)), and this is still $6 less than the cost of the oil.

I'm actually impressed with Rey's score. After his impromptu Erin Andrews' shenanigans, I would have bet the farm on a single digit Wonderlic.

A score of 10 is literacy, that's about all we can say.

What does this say about geniuses like Mario Manningham, Frank Gore and Vince Young? They all reportedly scored under ten. Are they literally illiterate???

I remember seeing sample Wonderlic questions with a test format last year somewhere. It is not that hard at all. It is something I would expect my kids to get in Jr High for crying out loud.

Some of these clowns are obviously pushed through based on their athletics rather than their academics. But we already know that.

I think Pat McInally had a perfect 50, and Ryan Fitzpatrick was supposedly to have had that, but admitted leaving some questions blank. He ended up with a 38, but he completed the test in a record nine minutes.

Check this out - avg. scores considered acceptable:

* Offensive tackle - 26

* Center - 25

* Quarterback - 24

* Guard - 23

* Tight end - 22

* Safety - 19

* Linebacker - 19

* Cornerback - 18

* Wide receiver - 17

* Fullback - 17

* Halfback - 16

And then some composite professions:

* Chemist - 31

* Programmer - 29

* Journalist - 26

* Sales - 24

* Bank teller - 22

* Clerical worker - 21

* Security guard - 17

* Warehouse - 15

Shows you the likely profession of some of these blockheads if it weren't for football!!

That's right.......And we all know that warehouse workers and the like are useless members of the nations workforce and of society!!!

Sheez.

I didn't realize these scores were available to the public, can they be archived to show past scores compared to nfl performance?

Here is one showing qb scores going back to Bradshaw.

http://www.unc.edu/~mirabile/Wonderlic.htm

Here is one showing some of last years players....a few Browns included

http://potencial.wordpress.com/2008/03/23/...nderlic-scores/

Offensive tackles: None of the tackles were too far off the acceptable mark. Andre Smith of Alabama scored 17, which is borderline. Faring much better was Arizona's Eben Britton with 31. Others: Eugene Monroe of Virginia had 24, Jason Smith of Baylor 23 and Michael Oher of Mississippi 19.

O-lineman are known to be smart and many coaches lean towards smart lineman, so Smith's 17 is very low. Anyone who read "The Blind Side" will know Oher had a very rough start and struggled mightly with school. For Oher to get a 19 and Smith to score lower is interesting. Oher's 19 is probably better than most expected and helps him.

Clay Matthews scored 27

Another reason why I would draft him. He wont be around in the 2nd. round. This boy is a Old School football player and the GM that drafts him will be considered a genius.

O-lineman are known to be smart and many coaches lean towards smart lineman, so Smith's 17 is very low. Anyone who read "The Blind Side" will know Oher had a very rough start and struggled mightly with school. For Oher to get a 19 and Smith to score lower is interesting. Oher's 19 is probably better than most expected and helps him.

My uncle gave me "The Blind Side" a while back and I still haven't read it. I didn't know the lineman the story follows was Oher. I may pick it up sooner than later because of that fact. I'd love it if the Steelers get a crack at Oher.

Clay Matthews scored 27

Another reason why I would draft him. He wont be around in the 2nd. round. This boy is a Old School football player and the GM that drafts him will be considered a genius.

I agree that he has great intangibles but he's no secret so the whole GM that drafts him will be considered a genius theory is a little off base. I could see it if the guy was a sleeper but he's no sleeper. I think this is the first time I've seen you post where you weren't slandering someone. Kudos!

I'm giving you the opportunity to slander me with the edit I just posted. I don't want the message board to get spoiled, you know with you sounding almost like a human being and all.

Clay Matthews scored 27

It's hard not to take a liking to C3 as a Browns fan. Despite his pedigree, he walked on at SC, worked like a dog, and became what he is. There's something that feels right about a guy like that.

If we don't take a LB with the 5th overall pick and Clay is there in round 2, I think the Browns would be nuts to pass up on him. A massive PR win while filling a huge team need, especially if we run a 3-4 D.

I'm curious to know how this test was developed and by whom.

Do individual teams keep records and analyze the success of their players relative to these scores?

Well that probably did not work out so well either, because I think he is color blind since he consistently throws balls to the other team's players wearing the opposite jersey!!

True or straight into the ground like a three year old

Here is one showing qb scores going back to Bradshaw.

http://www.unc.edu/~mirabile/Wonderlic.htm

Here is one showing some of last years players....a few Browns included

http://potencial.wordpress.com/2008/03/23/...nderlic-scores/

Lets just hope Wonderlic scores only measure how well the candidate performs on the Wonderlic Test. That QB score site shows some pretty frightening numbers from 2005.

Frye doubled Drive Assassin's score of 19. :o

I think you're right. Even though it's just a 19, there's probably not a prospect whose score did more for him than Oher.

I know in another thread, which I cannot find, that there was mention of possibly drafting us a center. I mentioned about AQ Shipley, who was the Rimington Award winner this past season as the top center in D-1. Yes, he is a PSU player, but I am pushing that aside. A few people chimed in and mentioned that they would not mind having this kid.

On his blog, he mentioned taking the Wonderlic and would be reporting his score when he found out.

It's out.

He scored a 40.

TIFWIW

Guest Masters
What does this say about geniuses like Mario Manningham, Frank Gore and Vince Young? They all reportedly scored under ten. Are they literally illiterate???

Well, Gore is a RB. You don't have to be all that bright. Also a 3rd round pick.

Vince Young crapped the bed and got benched not only this past season but for the near future. Plus has shown so far he can't read a D to save his life.

Manningham had a total of 4 catches last season as a 3rd round pick.

So 1 out of those 3 has had success. The only 1st rounder in that list to date is a huge flop.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the scores.

Obviously you can't have a moron out there, but it doesn't take all that much to play the game. Scoring a 40 isn't going to make someone a better player, and a low score isn't going to diminish that ability.

Guest Masters
I wouldn't get too hung up on the scores.

Obviously you can't have a moron out there, but it doesn't take all that much to play the game. Scoring a 40 isn't going to make someone a better player, and a low score isn't going to diminish that ability.

You can't get too hung up, but there is value in the test, or they wouldn't even bother.

You want to be picking high a QB who scores in the low teens or single digits and expect high results at the position (see Vince Young). But there are exceptions like Alex Smith who scored a 40 yet is a horrible pro QB.

All I have to see is Ryan Leaf with a 27 to know the test is NOT perfect.

I just think this test is more an APTITUDE rather than INTELLIGENCE test.

Mike

All I have to see is Ryan Leaf with a 27 to know the test is NOT perfect.

I just think this test is more an APTITUDE rather than INTELLIGENCE test.

Mike

Exactly...sure....QB's you like a bit higher since they have to process information quickly.

Other positions it isn't as critical. It isn't like a guy who scores a 14 can't figure our what 6x6 is...they just don't do it as quickly as someone who scores 32.

Archived