THE BROWNS BOARD

While we're here....

Legacy Fan

http://countercurrentnews.com/2014/11/british-police-calling-for-knife-ban/

British police call on citizens to "save a life, surrender your knife." Seriously.

Of note:

In the UK, the rate of knife violence is approximately one in every 374 people victimized, compared with a rate of one in 750 people victimized by gun violence in the United States.

Well, people can have knives, they just have to get an expensive permit.

Every year. And their knives have to be only 1 1/2 inches long, no sharpened blade,

bright orange, and made of balsa wood.

Why, their licenses only cost $125 for the required training, processing fee, and the

expensive paper it's printed on.

That's a lot of dough to go to the welfare state.

Shocker indeed. But it does make you question why the twitterer is only tweeting it now. The cynic in me would think they keep these kinds of stories in reserve so you have a steady flow of reinforcement. I'd also think the same about anyone perporting to be news that posts stories from years ago, don't get me wrong, not just a gun thing.

I'd argue that they're not holding onto stories "up their sleeves" but have a research team (like everyone else) that spends some time on & knows their way around the ole Google machine.

Probably the case, but those stories are more likely to show up when fresh, rather than months/years later. I'm not enough of a conspiracy theorist to claim the media is controlling us all by drip feeding stories to keep the outrage boiling over ready to explode when it's really needed. But you could see why people think like that.

I'd argue that they're not holding onto stories "up their sleeves" but have a research team (like everyone else) that spends some time on & knows their way around the ole Google machine.

You'd think their research team would be more up to date

I know gun people will disagree but here's my take on why knives are not the same as guns.

1) a knife has infinitely more non lethal uses than a gun. I have one on me right now with a blade, serrator and box cutter combo on it for when I walk out into the plant. The plant would come to a standstill without a sharp object being able to open shipments. Nothing would move business over.

2) "IF" you want to use a knife to harm someone you've got to get up and personal. There's not a whole lot of chance with taking down unintended targets with a knife. With a gun however it's been proven that even the most skilled of marksmen will spray shots under high stress situations.

Do I think people ought to be allowed to walk around with samurai swords...no. Knives though? The part about chefs not thinking sharp knives are necessary is horseshit. I cook myself, i'm practically a 4 star. I knew a 5 star a few years ago that cooked at a top restaurant in Indy. Incessant knife sharpener, he made a good point that it's dull knives that cut you cause they slip. A sharp knife goes down and through well infront of your knuckles. A dull knife, depending on what you're cutting....may drift down the thicker skinned veggies. And if they're wet it adds more slickness to the vegetable which makes it even easier to slide on. "Any" chef knows this, so that part in that article was a pure load of rubbish horseshit.

2) "IF" you want to use a knife to harm someone you've got to get up and personal. There's not a whole lot of chance with taking down unintended targets with a knife. With a gun however it's been proven that even the most skilled of marksmen will spray shots under high stress situations.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/01/world/asia/china-railway-attack/

It can most definitely happen and has every bit of the potential for deadliness as a gun. OK maybe not as much potential as a gun but certainly potential.

I didn't see the unintended part so my bad but yeah you can still kill a bunch of people with a knife.

Sure, it can happen. But you actually need some skill to take out a lot of people without being overwhelmed by a crowd. You might be able to stab a few, but with a gun, you just need to point and shoot, and anyone with half a brain (or less, usually) can do that.

It's the same reason the nobility hated crossbows when they were introduced - someone with no training at all could just point and shoot and kill a fully armoured mounted knight, so it was considered 'cheating' at the time. A nobleman should die a noble death, at the hands of someone worthy. Apparently.

Wait... I'm confused. "Skilled marksmen" miss under stress, but any Joe Schmoe can pick up a gun and take out a whole mall full of people?

I do not know the backstory to this comment... but people will be much more packed together in a mall. Fish in a barrel.

I had inferred that. I don't think it's quite as clear cut as the infographic would make you believe though. High population density, larger number of low income people, larger number of criminals, etc. etc.

Archived