THE BROWNS BOARD

With the 5th overall pick.......

KardiacKid26

It comes down to many directions and possibilities...

I've done my research and homework for the past couple days and finally determined who the top five canidates are.

First things first, we're not going to trade down for more picks. The 5th overall is a crucial pick because no one in the teens are willing to trade.

Second thing, the prospects we can look at:

1. Brian Orakpo-DE/OLB- Why? Because the Browns' top pass rusher is Kamerion Wimbley. It's too early to call him a bust. With Orakpo, The Browns would receive the top pass rusher in the draft who is strong and athletic. But, Mangini might try for a second time to draft a DE and covert him to OLB which means he could be another Vernon Gholston.

2. Michael Crabtree-WR- Why? Because behind B17, we have nothing. Crabtree would be a great #1 or #2 receiver for the Browns and give a weapon for Quinn to pass to.

3. Rey Maualuga-LB- Why? This is my favorite choice, because he would bring an agressive attitude who can tackle, be a dominant presence, and be a leader for our defense. Our defense needs to be mean because we are in the same division as the Ravens and Squeelers.

4. Malcolm Jenkins-CB- Why? I'm not in favor of this because Cornerback doesn't need to be addressed in the draft this early. Scouts say he will convert to safety and i don't think that needs to be addressed until the 2nd round. Jenkins has size (6'2, 201), and has very good instincts. Our secondary would be scary with E.Wright and jenkins at the corner positions.

5. Andre Smith-OT- Why? Idk why. Some draft sites have us taking him because Eugene Monroe and Jason Smith would already be taken. The only way this turned out to be good is because whoever our QB for the 09' season is (Quinn, Anderson, Campbell, or Cutler, etc.), they would have a tremendous O-Line to throw behind.

I've done my research and homework for the past couple days and finally determined who the top five canidates are.

First things first, we're not going to trade down for more picks. The 5th overall is a crucial pick because no one in the teens are willing to trade.

1. Brian Orakpo-DE/OLB- Why? Because the Browns' top pass rusher is Kamerion Wimbley. It's too early to call him a bust. With Orakpo, The Browns would receive the top pass rusher in the draft who is strong and athletic. But, Mangini might try for a second time to draft a DE and covert him to OLB which means he could be another Vernon Gholston.

2. Michael Crabtree-WR- Why? Because behind B17, we have nothing. Crabtree would be a great #1 or #2 receiver for the Browns and give a weapon for Quinn to pass to.

3. Rey Maualuga-LB- Why? This is my favorite choice, because he would bring an agressive attitude who can tackle, be a dominant presence, and be a leader for our defense. Our defense needs to be mean because we are in the same division as the Ravens and Squeelers.

4. Malcolm Jenkins-CB- Why? I'm not in favor of this because Cornerback doesn't need to be addressed in the draft this early. Scouts say he will convert to safety and i don't think that needs to be addressed until the 2nd round. Jenkins has size (6'2, 201), and has very good instincts. Our secondary would be scary with E.Wright and jenkins at the corner positions.

5. Andre Smith-OT- Why? Idk why. Some draft sites have us taking him because Eugene Monroe and Jason Smith would already be taken. The only way this turned out to be good is because whoever our QB for the 09' season is (Quinn, Anderson, Campbell, or Cutler, etc.), they would have a tremendous O-Line to throw behind.

Good thing Maualaga is dumb.......fits with the program

And I did notice no skill players who touch the ball frequently are on the list even though we are completely devoid of talent there

I bypassed my advisors to contradict yur view.................smart folks take players who produce TD's and yards regular if yu have none of those...........but what the heck.....losing is a fun thing

And I did notice no skill players who touch the ball frequently are on the list even though we are completely devoid of talent there

I bypassed my advisors to contradict yur view.................smart folks take players who produce TD's and yards regular if yu have none of those...........but what the heck.....losing is a fun thing

Ya know, Ich....you have to be the most annoying, ignorant xxxx I've ever seen on a message board.

You're all about neglecting the defense in this draft because your ancient ass is stuck in an era when one player on offense could take over a game. Jim Brown is retired. Otto Graham (God rest his soul) is lacing 'em up in a better place.

The league is different now. You need a balanced team (i.e., offense AND DEFENSE) to be competitive.

Brian Asshole and Trent Dildo each have one more Super Bowl ring than you do, and they sure as hell didn't get them by lighting up the scoreboard.

We get your schtick - offense, playmakers, blah blah blah......

That doesn't change the fact that we have to address some serious areas of weakness on defense. Because in case you failed to notice, the other team is allowed to try to score TD's too, and it sure would be nice if we had some people who could stop them from doing so.

And that, my friend, is 100% correctomundo.

maualuga's constant helmet to helmet hits don't impress me. IMO he'll get juked out of his shoes in the pros.

the rest--meh.

it's Curry or nothing for me. if he's gone its gotta be trade down or BPA and if they don't need that player>>deal him......i really hate picking this high (except in '07 when I was firmly in Camp Peterson).

if they get out of it for something mid round or later i secretely hope they vie for CM3, even if it's a bit of a reach. i like his ceiling and predict a BIG return.

Who's that crabtree fellow?

Did you not include Curry or Raji because you are assuming they won't be on the board?

I am guessing the Browns do not take Raji at #5 if he's available unless they trade Rogers. If they trade Rogers, they take Raji.

The same, I suppose, could be said for Crabtree and Edwards.

If they trade Rogers and Edwards... then its a toss-up between those two if they are both on the board. If only one is, problem solved.

1.Curry

2.Crabtree

3.Maualuga

4.maclin

No need going any further...;)

Guest Masters

I'd agree with you on Maualaga. I don't like the the thought of CLE taking a guy who might really be the 3rd best LB coming out of USC.

But the guy did have a skill player who touches the ball fequently on that list. He had Crabtree on there. Or is 97 REC for 1,165 yards and 19TDs (in 12 games) not touching the ball, producing yards, and TDs regularly?

My top 5 at 5

1. Curry

2. Raji

3. Crabtree

4. Orakpo

5. Maclin

We defintely need an RB in round 2.

We definitely could use Patrick Chung as well.

As much as I would love to take a RB like Brown or Jennings, we need more picks because we have hugh needs at OLB, WR, Center and SS.

But my top 10 and not by our needs, just who I think the top 10 guys are.

1. Crabtree

2. Curry

3. Jason Smith

4. Stafford

5. Sanchez

6. Raji

7. M. Jenkins

8. Eugene Monroe

9. Orakpo

10. Wells

Ya know, Ich....you have to be the most annoying, ignorant xxxx I've ever seen on a message board.

You're all about neglecting the defense in this draft because your ancient ass is stuck in an era when one player on offense could take over a game. Jim Brown is retired. Otto Graham (God rest his soul) is lacing 'em up in a better place.

The league is different now. You need a balanced team (i.e., offense AND DEFENSE) to be competitive.

Brian Asshole and Trent Dildo each have one more Super Bowl ring than you do, and they sure as hell didn't get them by lighting up the scoreboard.

That doesn't change the fact that we have to address some serious areas of weakness on defense. Because in case you failed to notice, the other team is allowed to try to score TD's too, and it sure would be nice if we had some people who could stop them from doing so.

I love this post.....My Pepsi almost came thru my nose while reading it. I'm still laughing!

I could not agree more!

1. CURRY He's everywhere, and he gets there fast with a vengence.

2. Raji He most certainly can play DE in a 3-4, and eventually shift to NT when Rodgers needs a break. Big, powerful, quick huge man.

3. Maclin Outstanding wr skills, outstanding speed

4. Orakpo

5. Trade down.

One of the top four would be a game breaker for the Browns, that's what they need this year, since they now have their LT.

Way too early to draft Smith to play on the right side.

But without Curry, the Browns need to use DumbAss in a trade up back into the first round, with our first second round pick...

to nab Barwin.

I haven't had time, but athletically, is Curry better than Barwin? Or Barwin is a DE to be lb, and Curry IS a lb ?

1. CURRY He's everywhere, and he gets there fast with a vengence.

2. Raji He most certainly can play DE in a 3-4, and eventually shift to NT when Rodgers needs a break. Big, powerful, quick huge man.

3. Maclin Outstanding wr skills, outstanding speed

4. Orakpo

5. Trade down.

One of the top four would be a game breaker for the Browns, that's what they need this year, since they now have their LT.

Way too early to draft Smith to play on the right side.

But without Curry, the Browns need to use DumbAss in a trade up back into the first round, with our first second round pick...

to nab Barwin.

I haven't had time, but athletically, is Curry better than Barwin? Or Barwin is a DE to be lb, and Curry IS a lb ?

I listed my top ten rated players, not players I would take for the Browns. I think I even said that.

My pick at #5 would be:

1. Curry

2. Crabtree

3. Trade Down

4. Orakpo

That's it, one will have to be there. IMO Curry is a finished product with exceptional skills. Barwin has the potential to be very, very good.

Im definitely starting to think the pick will be Crabtree or Orakpo. We have the vet and young guy (Barton/Bell) battling at ILB, while all we have at OLB is Wimbley and Hall. One of the first 3 picks will be an OLB (Orakpo, Barwin, English, Matthews, Sintim??), one will be WR (Nicks, Crabtree, Heyward-Bey,Britt??), and one will be SS (Chung, Johnson, Moore, Delmas, Sean Smith??). I think we need to acquire an extra pick somehow (DA, trade down?) and take a RB. Heres how I'm thinking it plays out, because I dont think we acquire the extra pick.

Orakpo

Nicks

Moore

Heres what I'd like

Crabtree

Barwin/Sintim (whoever NE doesnt take)

Chung

I would have to disagree.

The offense has way fewer holes to fill than the defense. We have lost JJ, KW, Stall in the offense and we have only 2 picks. We can use one for Crabtree who is a safe pick and the next pick for an RB or LB (Chung hopefully)

The defense needs some working out to do, but - of all the prospects mentioned only curry and Raji seem like safe bets and the rest are all projects or were not too impressive in the combine.

Personally I would go with the safer pick. Even if we get this draft selection 100% right, we will still be no where near playoff contention.

Archived