THE BROWNS BOARD

latest on BE to NY

CLEVELandMILIDH

Report: New York Giants discussed trade for Cleveland Browns' Braylon Edwards

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Sunday March 22, 2009, 9:28 PM

Tony Dejak/AP

The Giants reportedly pursued a trade for Edwards.There have been plenty of rumblings the Giants had talked with the Browns about a trade for their top wide receiver, Braylon Edwards. Those rumors had revolved around the Giants' sending defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka to Cleveland. I had heard nothing to substantiate the rumors, so I didn't mention them here.

But Ken Palmer of The Giant Insider reported today that, while the Giants never dangled Kiwanuka, they did inquire about Edwards.

The Giants offered the Browns the two draft picks they received from the Saints last year in exchange for TE Jeremy Shockey: a second-round pick and a fifth-rounder.

The Browns countered by asking for WR Steve Smith. The Giants said no.

The Giants then offered either of two other WRs: Domenik Hixon or Mario Manningham. The Browns said no.

The talks died down after that last exchange, though they could pick up at draft time.

I wish I could tell you more on this one, but I have nothing as of right now. What I do know is Palmer has been covering the Giants for a long time and has been out in front of plenty of stories.

I don't doubt the Giants inquired about Edwards. And when Jerry Reese is asked about this report, he'll probably give us the old, "We investigate everything. You know that." But the exchange of several offers indicates this was more than just due diligence here. And while Palmer is suggesting the talks could spark again come draft time, I'm thinking Plaxico Burress' legal situation could be the catalyst. If he goes to jail or is suspended for a while, the Giants will need to move along to the plan they have for Burress' absence. And like Tom Coughlin said at the scouting combine, "it'd be great to have a player, if it's not Plaxico, but with Plaxico's magnitude, on our football team." That player could be the 6-3, 215-pound Edwards, who surely wowed the Giants with his five catches for 154 yards and a touchdown against them last season - even if he has had a bad case of the dropsies of late.

The only part of the report that does surprise me is the Giants' offering Manningham. I know the coaching staff is very, very high on him and the front office obviously loved him before the draft. So maybe that's a sign they're very interested in Edwards.

One Wolverine for another?

Wasn't that the catalyst for Braylon's dropsies this year - that we, the fans, were too hard on him because of his alma mater? :rolleyes:

p.s. I'd take 1 of the picks (preferably the 2nd) & Steve Smith in a heartbeat. And I love Braylon as a WR.

Mario Manningham and a second rounder and I'd be happy. Didn't realize he's only 5'11" though. I'd would have done it quicker if I knew Stallworth was still around. We'd have to get a WR out of the deal as we're just too depleted not to.

Slam - Bam - Manningham.

I would have taken the Hixon, 2nd and 5th rounder deal. I'm not holding any grudge against edwards. He had a bad year almost every player does. I do not appreciate him copping out with saying that the fans hate him b/c he's from michigan. I could care less where he's from. What I am for is CLE making moves to build this team the right way through the Draft and acquire picks which is what this move would be for. I'd do it.

I would have taken the Hixon, 2nd and 5th rounder deal. I'm not holding any grudge against edwards. He had a bad year almost every player does. I do not appreciate him copping out with saying that the fans hate him b/c he's from michigan. I could care less where he's from. What I am for is CLE making moves to build this team the right way through the Draft and acquire picks which is what this move would be for. I'd do it.

I agree. Hixon is a good looking your receiver. Add him to the 2 picks and it's a done deal in my book.

Guest ATENEARS

One's to assume that this whole 'Trade BE' took place prior to Stallworth's accident and the ousting of Joe J and Winslow, no?

I can't see us getting rid of Braylon at this point, we are paper thin at that position as it is.

We just need to acquire Torry Holt ... that's all the talk about WR this team needs. Holt or bust.

Hixon is a super cute cinderalla story, but seriously, a teams #1?

Honest question, did anybodoy watch a NYG game after Plax shot his career in the leg? If I recall, Hixon had a few BE Dropsies wide open down the field, with the ball coming over top of him, with only the end zone in the front of him.

BE might go to NYC before the season starts, but it would only be to hangout with Jay Z and PDiddy, then he willl be on his way back to Cleveland. Best season for a WR in Cleveland history, this guy isn't going anywhere. Even with our terrible offense last year, he was our most productive player, playing with an ankle and shoulder injury, with no help on the other side of him, and 4 dimwit QBs throwing to him.

If we get him some help on the other side, he will be a Top 5 WR again. I wouldn't throw away his talent for a DE/LB that has never played in a 3-4 ,and doesn't have the size for a DE, and may be an odd fit as OLB in a 3-4, or a cinderalla WR who has the element of suprise to help him achieve, but can't perform in the starting lineup.

BTW, I've watched alll of the Akron Zips home games for the last 6 years, Hixon was good here, and made a mad clutch play to get us into the motorcity bowl, but I loved watching Jabari Arthur!

My only reason for trading Edwards would be his contract status. I don't believe he will stay next year and I certainly don't want to franchise him for $9+ million.

First, I don't want Mannningham because he has character issures, substance abuse problems and Michigan hands.

So, I would take Hixon and a 2nd rounder for him. That would let the Browns draft Crabtree and still have 3 2nd round picks to use on the defense. That could be Barwin/English, Moore/Chung and the center Woods.

You get 5 starters and maybe get lucky with some later drat picks. You have a receiver punch of Crabtree and Hixon with Cribbs/FA in the slot. Offense and defense are both very respectful with a fairly weak schedule.

Now, some of the OBR guys told my son that Philly don't want to let this happen and would like to jump into the ballgame. Also, Jacksonville wants a receiver but would rather tradeup to get Crabtree. Now, that would be a draft day move because they would have to be sure that Crabtree is there and want to look at Maclin a little more.

Speculation is fun. You can make all kinds of twists and turns.

Archived