THE BROWNS BOARD

The new Tom Brady rule

Oldcrow1945

The NFL is getting ridiculous with protecting the QB. They have revised the rule concerning hitting a QB at his knees.

Now if a defensive player is knocked down to the ground, he cannot reach out or dive for the QB's legs while in the down position. This is what happened to Brady last year against the chiefs.

I guess if a D-lineman gets knocked down at the QB's feet, he has to stand back up on his feet before he can touch the QB.

Absolutely ridiculous.

It became even more ridiculous for me after hearing the Patriots owner try and justify it. He said the NFL simply can't afford to have their star QB's go down. It hurts the game.

The owners have stopped looking at this as a sport and are now looking at it purely as a business.

The NFL is a business....What goes on out on the field is sport!

Man, did Golic rave against this yesterday on the radio! I know he's biased because of the postion he played. But he was still right on the mark with his diatribe.

Edit: You can swipe at the QB from the ground. But if you are going to hit him you can't even hit him above the knee area. I would imagine the refs will blow the whistle unless it's the waist or above. Thus, the Lineman is basically going to have to get up on his feet before he can do anything but take a swipe. No more lunging from the ground...period.

The NFL is getting ridiculous with protecting the QB. They have revised the rule concerning hitting a QB at his knees.

Now if a defensive player is knocked down to the ground, he cannot reach out or dive for the QB's legs while in the down position. This is what happened to Brady last year against the chiefs.

I guess if a D-lineman gets knocked down at the QB's feet, he has to stand back up on his feet before he can touch the QB.

Absolutely ridiculous.

It became even more ridiculous for me after hearing the Patriots owner try and justify it. He said the NFL simply can't afford to have their star QB's go down. It hurts the game.

The owners have stopped looking at this as a sport and are now looking at it purely as a business.

Man, did Golic rave against this yesterday on the radio! I know he's biased because of the postion he played. But he was still right on the mark with his diatribe.

This is stupid. Brady is soft.

You actually are saying the rule wrong.

You are not allowed to lunge at the QB below the knee's. You can reach out or lunge above the knee's, you do not have to get up to your feet.

You are not allowed to lunge at the QB below the knee's. You can reach out or lunge above the knee's, you do not have to get up to your feet.

You better go look at the fifth provison of rule 12. It says even if the hit is above the knee.

No. I'm correct. I read it before I posted it.

You can swipe at the Qb......But you can't lunge, even above the knees. So for all practical purposes, a D-lineman would have to stand back up again to hit him from the waist up.

You better go look at the fifth provison of rule 12. It says even if the hit is above the knee.

No. I'm correct. I read it before I posted it.

You can swipe at the Qb......But you can't lunge, even above the knees. So for all practical purposes, a D-lineman would have to stand back up again to hit him from the waist up.

Thats not what Golic was saying this morning

Thats not what Golic was saying this morning

Here is the actual wording.

"A rushing defender is prohibited from forcibly hitting a Qb in the knee area or below the passer who has one or both feet on the ground, even if the inititial contact is above the knees."

This makes it obvious that a defender will have to get up to his feet or at least to his knees to grab a Qb around the waist to try and bring him down.

The NFL might as well as simply said that a Qb can only be hit from the waist to the shoulders. Because that is the way the rule reads. "Above the Knee" would have to be anywhere in the upper leg area. What else can they use for a cut off area? Upper thigh? Where does the "Upper" start?

Here is the actually wording.

"A rushing defender is prohibited from forcibly hitting a Qb in the knee area or below the passer who has one or both feet on the ground, even if the inititial contact is above the knees."

This makes it obvious that a defender will have to get up to his feet or at least to his knees to grab a Qb around the waist to try and bring him down.

The NFL migh as well as simply said that a Qb can only be hit from the waist to the shoulders. Because that is the way the rule reads. "Above the Knee" would have to be anywhere in the upper leg area. What else can they use for a cut off area? Upper thigh? Where does the "Upper" start?

Thinking about that now, it doesn't sound right?

Thinking about that now, it doesn't sound right?

It surely is not obvious to me that it means you have to get back up on your feet. I think thats your own interpretation of the rule.

They competition committee specifically said you can still swipe (below or at the knee) but you cannot lunge. Anything above the knee is fair game for swiping / lunging in ANY position.

well then the steelers will have to change the way they tackle, they are always going for the knees. ask carson palmer

well then the steelers will have to change the way they tackle, they are always going for the knees. ask carson palmer

Its funny you say that because they actually implemented a new rule because of Hines Wards hit on Keith Rivers...

. Anything above the knee is fair game for swiping / lunging in ANY position.

How do you come to this conclusion? The rule specifically states that the "contact" cannot be "Above the knee" unless you are swiping. A lunge is exactly what happened to Brady and is what the league is trying to stop.

I want to see you hit a Qb around the waist while laying on the ground. It's impossible. You'd have to get to your feet. Or at the very least you'd have to get up to your knees.

How do you come to this conclusion? The rule specifically states that the "contact" cannot be "Above the knee" unless you are swiping. A lunge is exactly what happened to Brady and is what the league is trying to stop

I don't see anything that says above the knee?

I don't see anything that says above the knee?

What does that last line say? "Even if the intitial contact is above the knees".

I read that as though they are saying that when and if you hit the QB for the first time during the course of the play it cannot be in the knee area, or even above the knee.

Am I reading it incorrectly?

Even so, the wording in the first line states "The Knee area"....That would include above the knee since that has to be the "Knee area". Where does the "Knee area" stop?

What does that last line say? "Even if the intitial contact is above the knees".

I read that as though they are saying that when and if you hit the QB for the first time during the course of the play it cannot be in the knee area, or even above the knee.

Am I reading it incorrectly?

Even so, the wording in the first line states "The Knee area"....That would include above the knee since that has to be the "Knee area". Where does the "Knee area" stop?

I think it means that you can hit anywhere above the knee, but if you slide below the knee after the initial contact then its a penalty...

I think it means that you can hit anywhere above the knee, but if you slide below the knee after the initial contact then its a penalty...

But it can't be saying that can it? It says "The knee area". Is the Knee area only below the knees?

I think there would have to be a "Knee area" above the knee as well.

I'm telling you now, If a D- lineman gets up and dives at Tom Brady's legs around the bottom of the thigh the refs will consider that the "Knee area" and will throw a flag. If that's the case....Where is the cut off point?

This is stupid. Brady is soft.

Agreed. (with the stupidness of the rule)

Adding the weight of forever being associated to this flag-football/ red-jersey rule to all of that finger hardware Brady is sporting and the weight of that supermodel wife (who, with the wrong lighting/angle sometimes has a severe case of tranny-face, imo) dangling from his junk must be horrifyingly soul crushing. <_<

LMAO!!!!!!

Crow I think we just need to wait till the head ref explains this later today.

I take the rule as:

A defender may not initially contact a QB on or below the knee if the QB has one or both feet on the ground.

A defender who is on the ground and then attempts to tackle said QB may only swipe at or below the knee, lunging is prohibited.

A defender who runs and drives full force through the lower thigh area or above is completely safe as long as he does not lead with the helmet.

Obviously, "above the knee" is going to be a call it as you see it situation. I don't know if they will allow replay to determine the area of contact but I can definitely see this spurring a bottle-fest repeat if a bad call is made at a crucial time.

I agree, it's getting very skewed towards the O.

You might as well not rush anybody and institute a rule the qb has to throw the ball in 4 seconds of less from the time he sets up.....just cover with 11....that would make a pretty tight zone.

Crow I think we just need to wait till the head ref explains this later today.

I take the rule as:

A defender may not initially contact a QB on or below the knee if the QB has one or both feet on the ground.

A defender who is on the ground and then attempts to tackle said QB may only swipe at or below the knee, lunging is prohibited.

A defender who runs and drives full force through the lower thigh area or above is completely safe as long as he does not lead with the helmet.

Obviously, "above the knee" is going to be a call it as you see it situation. I don't know if they will allow replay to determine the area of contact but I can definitely see this spurring a bottle-fest repeat if a bad call is made at a crucial time.

Agreed.

The last thing you said is the problem I have with it and the refs are going to hate it too. I was an Ohio High school official for years (Baseball and sotball) and we HATED anything that we had to interpret.

I agree, it's getting very skewed towards the O.

You might as well not rush anybody and institute a rule the qb has to throw the ball in 4 seconds of less from the time he sets up.....just cover with 11....that would make a pretty tight zone.

Damn it, don't give them any ideas Peen!

Absolutely ridiculous.

Edit: You can swipe at the QB from the ground. But if you are going to hit him you can't even hit him above the knee area. I would imagine the refs will blow the whistle unless it's the waist or above. Thus, the Lineman is basically going to have to get up on his feet before he can do anything but take a swipe. No more lunging from the ground...period.

I think its a GREAT RULE, people that are season ticket holders pay top money for tickets and don't want to have to watch some guy play quarterback like we did watching Ken Dorsey this past season because some defensive player takes out the most important player on a team.

The NFL is all out $$$$$$ and they don't want quarterbacks dropping because of overzealous defensive players

Archived