THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini invites Favre to training camp

Lumbergh

Now why would Mangini invite a good ole boy gunslinger to help out at practice?

Wasn't Mangini supposed to be installing the dink'n'dunk to help out Quinnie's checkdown style offense?

Doesn't he know that good ole boys and pretty boys don't mix?

Is Favre gonna punch Quinn in the face?

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=531327

Wasn't Mangini supposed to be installing the dink'n'dunk to help out Quinnie's checkdown style offense?

It might have something to do with having two very young, inexperienced QB's who could stand to learn a thing or two about a thing or two.

Or you could be a complete moron.

Anybodies guess.

How do you accomplish anything with your affliction?

Lum,

Have you ever talked about anything but DA, BQ, and the QB situation on this board?

We should all do a mass block of this idiot and get over it. I'm all for either DA or BQ becoming the starter as long as it is best for th Browns. Lummy is the reason many people hate DA now. The more he pushes for DA the more people want Quinn...he's pulling down the average.

The more he pushes for DA the more people want Quinn...he's pulling down the average.

One-smelt-poop, you are weak-minded. The decision-makers in the QB situation aren't influenced by hurt feelings like you are. Your inability to deal with your frustrations will lead only to more frustrations.

Mangini Invites Favre To Help Out At Camp

Posted by Mike Florio on March 25, 2009, 11:36 a.m.

Retired quarterback Brett Favre might be joining the Browns.

But not to play. (We think.)

Coach Eric Mangini has invited Favre to serve as a guest instructor at training camp, where he would help Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn learn the offense that Favre learned on the fly last year.

“I don’t think it would be anything formal,” Mangini told the New York Daily News (via SportingNews.com by way of Rotoworld.com, with a left turn at Albuquerque). “It’s not like we are hiring him to run the scout team. I don’t think he would be interested in that. He would be more like a visitor. An open invite.”

Um, really?

Look, Favre is one of the best quarterbacks of all time. But it’s not because of his knack for operating within the confines of a structured offensive system. He’s the ultimate freelancer. So unless Mangini is hoping to instill some recklessness into his quarterbacks, Favre might not be the best choice.

Frankly, we think the offer has more to do with Mangini’s desire (for whatever reason) to create the impression that Mangini and Favre had a good relationship during their mutual time with the Jets.

Said Mangini on Tuesday, “We had a legitimately good relationship. He’s a good guy. I like Brett a lot. That was a tough situation for him to come into and I thought he handled it incredibly well.”

But what of the January words from Mangini friend and confidant Teddy Atlas?

“I think Brett Favre basically is a selfish guy,” Atlas told the New York Post on the heels of Mangini’s termination by the Jets. “Brett Favre goes out there with his gray hair, his Wranglers and gets up when he gets hit. I understand why people like that. But there’s another side. He’s a selfish guy.”

Now, did Atlas come up with that completely on his own, or with a little (or more) input from Mangini?

Atlas also had this to say about whether Mangini even wanted Favre in the first place.

“He had no choice in the matter,” Atlas told the Post. ”How you going to argue with a Hall of Fame guy coming in and the business part of it? [Mangini] did the best he could to adjust to it.”

Apparently, Mangini still feels compelled to convince people that Mangini felt otherwise.

Frankly, Mangini would be better served by forgetting about Favre and the Jets and focusing on the Browns.

It is impressive Mangini held a relationship with a guy through bad times, despite Favre being at largely at fault for the Jets collapse. It is easy to get along when things are going well, but it takes character to do it when the going gets rough.

Otherwise, this all seems fairly casual and doesn't do anything to tell us about Quinn and Anderson.

Favre probably has some pointers, but is far from something our QB's should emulate. He's always been the exception, not the rule - very unorthodoxed. It's like having Gary Sheffield coming in to show the Tribe batters how to swing. I guess if you want your QB's throwing side-armed are off their back foot when the pressure comes, then have at it.

I do agree with Anderson's and Favre's interception similarities as "gunslinger" = just throwing it out there to see what happens.

You guys are taking it all wrong in the type of instruction Farve would be giving. He is not going to change their mechanics to match his. He would be showing how to read defenses and how to look defenders off. A person could learn a lot from a QB like Farve and it would be great if he was willing to come in and help our QBs.

Deduce whatever you need to from any and every story you read to fit your own opinions.

None the less, it would seem the invitation of Favre would be more for the benefit of Anderson.

It is impressive Mangini held a relationship with a guy through bad times, despite Favre being at largely at fault for the Jets collapse. It is easy to get along when things are going well, but it takes character to do it when the going gets rough.

Otherwise, this all seems fairly casual and doesn't do anything to tell us about Quinn and Anderson.

Favre probably has some pointers, but is far from something our QB's should emulate. He's always been the exception, not the rule - very unorthodoxed. It's like having Gary Sheffield coming in to show the Tribe batters how to swing. I guess if you want your QB's throwing side-armed are off their back foot when the pressure comes, then have at it.

I do agree with Anderson's and Favre's interception similarities as "gunslinger" = just throwing it out there to see what happens.

Biggest difference is farve has a good luck gut feeling before he rifles it and DA seems void of the gift of luck..;)

Both our qbs can use a real pro to show them some things both of them as with most our qbs the past 10 years havent had an experienced qb to tudor and inspire them this wouldnt be a bad thing rather its bernie,farve or boomer esiason wonder why mangina doesnt ask bernie to do this?

Manginis system is a very basic system unfortunately more run run pass punt../sigh

Guest Masters

Well, for starters when Favre had his SB runs and best success, he was less gun slinger and played in a solid WC offense, that relied on short slant routes. You know, those 7-`15 yard passes that DA can't hit.

Perhaps Favre can play a role for Mangini the same as other role players he's brought in from the Jets. Obviously Mangini still values the working relationship he had with many of them.

Is it really such a stretch to view Brett as a consultant to help decide who to keep and who to trade?

A highly experienced tutor for which ever one is the starter.

After the starter is picked and the other dealt in the draft, is it really such a stretch to see him as the new backup QB ala Testaverde.

Perhaps his working relationship with Mangini was far better than anyone thought.

This wouldn't be the first time Brett has found a way to avoid retirement.

Just a few thoughts. Thanks for the space. NDneighbor

How'd that gunslinger offense work out in NY last season? Did Favrah take a shit down the stretch, hoisting his team on his shoulders and riding their way out of the playoffs?

Man, I wish that didn't sound familiar. <_<

I'll be interested to see how Browns fans warp this news to fit with their insistance that Mangini was just an innocent victim of Tannenbaum's insistence that Favre be the starting QB. That as I recall was the prevailing logic around here, that Browns fans (and maybe Randy Lerner) needed to accept to convince themselves that Mangini really WAS a good coach and judge of player abilities.

I'm sure I won't be disappointed, seeing as most here are convinced that Mangini named his son after Favre in an effort to PREVENT him from signing with the team.

So I guess the question is, are there other QBs or players out there who your coach doesn't want playing for his team, who Mangini will bring in to help create a winning organization?

(And of course the ultimate question... if Mangini refuses to name another child after Favre, does that mean he WANTS Favre to come out of retirement to play for the Browns?)

Guest Masters
I'll be interested to see how Browns fans warp this news to fit with their insistance that Mangini was just an innocent victim of Tannenbaum's insistence that Favre be the starting QB. That as I recall was the prevailing logic around here, that Browns fans (and maybe Randy Lerner) needed to accept to convince themselves that Mangini really WAS a good coach and judge of player abilities.

I'm sure I won't be disappointed, seeing as most here are convinced that Mangini named his son after Favre in an effort to PREVENT him from signing with the team.

So I guess the question is, are there other QBs or players out there who your coach doesn't want playing for his team, who Mangini will bring in to help create a winning organization?

(And of course the ultimate question... if Mangini refuses to name another child after Favre, does that mean he WANTS Favre to come out of retirement to play for the Browns?)

Of course there is another article out there, from a NY paper (not a NE paper), that flies in the face of your whole "Mangini wanted Favre" claim: http://www.nypost.com/seven/01032009/sport...avre_147032.htm

"Atlas said Jets owner Woody Johnson forced the trade upon Mangini.

"He had no choice in the matter," Atlas said. "How you going to argue with a Hall of Fame guy coming in and the business part of it? (Mangini) did the best he could to adjust to it." So his own close friend says he didn't want him.

I stand behind my original statement about the whole giving his kid the middle name Brett. It is no different that all the other regular people who name their kid in some way after a pro athlete. Perhaps Mangini just liked and respected Brett Favre the player and was gonna give his kid that middle name, like other people do.

But you keep focusing on a dude who spurned your Pats 4 years ago, along w/ blaming him for busting your team for cheating (even though it wasn't Mangini who reported it).

I'm going to try to break this down... Good luck to me...

Mankok bringing in Farve---

pisses of some old bosses? Maybe.....

possible Farve back-up/coach situation involving a trade with the Jets? Hmm why have I heard the Jets and Browns linked in QB trades lately ?

Mankok is the most clever regime in a loooong time? Time will only tell where this whole situation goes but the press alone from these rumors is very good for the team on a national scale.

Farve is really just here to help mentor... ?

Anyhow, I hope he signs autographs......

Of course there is another article out there, from a NY paper (not a NE paper), that flies in the face of your whole "Mangini wanted Favre" claim: http://www.nypost.com/seven/01032009/sport...avre_147032.htm

Yes - everyone's very familiar with Mangini sending his friend Atlas out to throw the Jets ownership and Favre under the bus.

In fact, Florio's theory is that this is in part Mangini's attempt to try to make amends with Favre for sending Atlas out to tell such lies in a desperate attempt to spin his choke of a season after spending $140 million on NYJ players.

So seeing as you believe Atlas' story that Mangini names his children after football players he absolutely does not want on his team, what do you make of this change of heart by Mangini to bring in a QB that was forced on him against his will to Cleveland?

I assume the theory is that this is all Randy Lerner's doing and Mangini doesn't want Favre here either?

Guest Masters
Yes - everyone's very familiar with Mangini sending his friend Atlas out to throw the Jets ownership and Favre under the bus.

In fact, Florio's theory is that this is in part Mangini's attempt to try to make amends with Favre for sending Atlas out to tell such lies in a desperate attempt to spin his choke of a season after spending $140 million on NYJ players.

So seeing as you believe Atlas' story that Mangini names his children after football players he absolutely does not want on his team, what do you make of this change of heart by Mangini to bring in a QB that was forced on him against his will to Cleveland?

I assume the theory is that this is all Randy Lerner's doing and Mangini doesn't want Favre here either?

So it's Mangini using Atlas to throw NYJ under the bus, but could never be the Jets throwing Mangini under the bus for the Favre thing..... I see how that works. Especially since the owner and GM who worked hard to get Favre got to keep their jobs. But the fact you won't even look at that as a possibility shows your bias against the lover that jilted you. I can see it being the other way, but I just don't buy it. Especially since the GM that worked hand in hand with Mangini kept his job, and the news when they were courting Favre was all about the owner pushing it. All for the reasons that article points out.

What amends does he have to make with Favre? Reports are that after the season Farvre spoke highly of Mangini and vice versa. There is no known anomosity out there to make amends of. It is very possible Mangini just would like Favre to speak with his QBs and give them some tips. Browns have done it with Kosar. Again, how many people out there name their kids in some way after athletes they respect. Tying Mangini naming his kid to wanting an aging Favre as his QB is just silly. Once does not necessarily have anything to do with the other.

I don't think anyone wants Favre as their QB and Favre doesn't want to play anymore. I'll with the same opinion of players and ex-players, as they called it that Favre would come back after hearing his last presser, and are calling it he won't come back after his last one. The guy said the thing all guys that know it is time to hang them up do.

So it's Mangini using Atlas to throw NYJ under the bus, but could never be the Jets throwing Mangini under the bus for the Favre thing..... I see how that works. Especially since the owner and GM who worked hard to get Favre got to keep their jobs. But the fact you won't even look at that as a possibility shows your bias against the lover that jilted you. I can see it being the other way, but I just don't buy it. Especially since the GM that worked hand in hand with Mangini kept his job, and the news when they were courting Favre was all about the owner pushing it. All for the reasons that article points out.

What amends does he have to make with Favre? Reports are that after the season Farvre spoke highly of Mangini and vice versa. There is no known anomosity out there to make amends of. It is very possible Mangini just would like Favre to speak with his QBs and give them some tips. Browns have done it with Kosar. Again, how many people out there name their kids in some way after athletes they respect. Tying Mangini naming his kid to wanting an aging Favre as his QB is just silly. Once does not necessarily have anything to do with the other.

I don't think anyone wants Favre as their QB and Favre doesn't want to play anymore. I'll with the same opinion of players and ex-players, as they called it that Favre would come back after hearing his last presser, and are calling it he won't come back after his last one. The guy said the thing all guys that know it is time to hang them up do.

+1

Saved me the time to type up a virtually identical response.

On a side note, not trying to be a grammar police or anything but I just found it odd and amusing that "insistence" was spelled in two different ways in the same sentence.

On a side note, not trying to be a grammar police or anything but I just found it odd and amusing that "insistence" was spelled in two different ways in the same sentence.

He must not have had his video camera with him that day in school.

as someone on espn said today "It's like hanging a bag of drugs in front of an attic"

Just when we thought favre was done too!

Either its too early for me to get that, or you meant addict.

But yes.

:D

Archived