THE BROWNS BOARD

The transgendered freak traitor might get prolonged solitary

MILITARY TRIALS

Chelsea Manning faces possible solitary confinement, lawyer says

Published August 12, 2015

WICHITA, Kan. – Convicted national security leaker Chelsea Manning could be placed in solitary confinement indefinitely for allegedly violating prison rules by having a copy of Vanity Fair with Caitlyn Jenner on the cover and an expired tube of toothpaste, among other things, her lawyer said Wednesday.

The former intelligence analyst, formerly known as Bradley Manning, was convicted in 2013 of espionage and other offenses for sending more than 700,000 classified documents while working in Iraq. She is serving a 35-year sentence at the military prison at Fort Leavenworth, for leaking reams of war logs, diplomatic cables and battlefield video to the anti-secrecy website WikiLeaks in 2010.

ADVERTISEMENT

Her attorney, Nancy Hollander, said an Aug. 18 hearing is set at the Fort Leavenworth prison for the transgender Army private. The hearing before a three-person panel is closed, although Manning has asked that it be public.

"This is like prison disciplinary infractions in a civilian prison and there will be a hearing, but frankly it looks to me like harassment," Hollander said.

The military had no immediate comment Wednesday.

The prison charges include possession of prohibited property in the form of books and magazines while under administrative segregation; medicine misuse over the toothpaste; disorderly conduct for sweeping food onto the floor; and disrespect. All relate to alleged conduct on July 2 and 9. The maximum penalty Manning could face is indefinite solitary confinement.

"It is not uncommon in prisons to have charges that to the rest of us seem to be absurd," Hollander said. "Prisons are very controlled environments and they try to keep them very controlled and sometimes in that control they really go too far and I think that this is going too far."

Hollander is particularly troubled by the fact that Manning's reading material was taken away from her, including a novel about transgender issues, the book "Hacker, Hoaxer, Whistleblower, Spy — The Many Faces of Anonymous," the book "I am Malala," an issue of Cosmopolitan magazine containing an interview with Manning and the U.S. Senate report on CIA torture.

"There is certainly no security risk, and that could impinge on her free speech rights and attempt to silence her," she said.

kind of sad that someone who exposes some real dark bullshit about our govt gets the leavenworth treatment. Kind of odd that the same people who think some military excercises in Texas are the prelude to the Fed imposing martial law and taking over a state....are the same people who support the govt when they punish people who expose that very same bullshit. I mean I've seen some of those video's from what he leaked, it's mind numbing what the military does sometime.

Not every aspect of government is pristine yet treason remains treason.

WSS

I agree unless the whistle is blown on some heinous shit. I know it's embarrassing to the country but it ought to have come out. We as a society cannot condone some of this bullshit. What the military and/or secret agencies do abroad reflects on all americans.

I agree unless the whistle is blown on some heinous shit. I know it's embarrassing to the country but it ought to have come out. We as a society cannot condone some of this bullshit. What the military and/or secret agencies do abroad reflects on all americans.

Fair enough. Give me some examples of things worthy of bringing down US security.

WSS

Fair enough. Give me some examples of things worthy of bringing down US security.

WSS

I would suggest you look up the wiki leaks. It's basically everything you gripe about at the Obama administration. Of course these preceeded his administration but i'm not naive enough to think that they don't go on to this day. Those leaks are one of the main reasons i'm always harping on some of you that these things you complain about the govt for like they're some fresh iteration of the current regime, have been going on for literally almost a century now, but none of you want to look that in the face. Some of the leaks detailed our support of some incredibly brutal and repressive regime's around the world, like major support....cash, arms etc, etc. The same foreign policy bullshit that brought the Ayatollah to power in Iran. But a wise man once trolled....learning curves are for pussies.

Yep. Heinous, embarrassing...that the Army let a tranny in.

ha! what sceenname did you have before zombo gave you stinkhole?

pissburgh or baltiwhore troller?

no - "Chelsea" entered the armed forces under DADT

and then celebrated her way out of the foot locker....

Cleve, too much jaw flappy, and you still don't make any

kind of point.

Shep used to be "terrified" of Bush and Cheney throwing our

Bill of Rights out the window, and crushing all of our freedoms.

yeah. He must REALLY be hiding in a foxhole over Obamao.

Nah. His rantings were just liberal political theater.

As soon as Obamao got elected, he left. No more to complain politically about.

I personally criticized Bush for not slamming the door shut on illegal immigration.

Not pc enough for the independents, and hispanic demographics?

But Obamao is president now. You were not there back then, you are here now.

So,

give Steve at least one example of what you are blabbering about.

ha! what sceenname did you have before zombo gave you stinkhole?

pissburgh or baltiwhore troller?

no - "Chelsea" entered the armed forces under DADT

and then celebrated her way out of the foot locker....

Stuart? I just came from uniform thread over on the Browns side.... say it aint so? lololol

Archived