THE BROWNS BOARD

Brian Orakpo

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius
Orakpo does not disappoint at Texas' pro day

Texas' 2 1/2-hour pro day session began with an address from head coach Mack Brown, who gave the 50 NFL player personnel people on hand an opportunity to ask questions. Among those present to watch 10 players work out indoors on AstroTurf were Miami defensive coordinator Paul Pasqualoni, Bengals tight ends coach Jonathan Hayes and Packers GM Ted Thompson. The Packers are in the process of converting their defense to a 3-4 and likely are interested in versatile Texas LB Brian Orakpo (6-3 3/8, 262 pounds).

Orakpo did not disappoint, posting a 10-foot, 10-inch broad jump, a time of 4.45 in the short shuttle and 7.26 in the three-cone drill. Orakpo held the rest of his numbers from the Combine.

Thompson would never tip his hand, but I think that Green Bay would probably be interested in someone like him for their new scheme. I know Thompson was impressed with Orakpo amd expressed surprise at how big his upper body is.

Of course, the Dolphins use a 3-4 as well and Pasqualoni seemed to like Orakpo too. I think the consensus on Orakpo is very positive. The one question mark on him is that he's one of those guys that appears to play hard 90 percent of the time, but takes a vacation the other 10 percent. But when you're a pass-rusher in 110-degree temperatures it's hard to go full speeed all the time. The weather here in the south is detrimental because these players get tired from constantly rushing the passer in the heat and humidity.

Video here.

the more we learn about orakpo, the more i like him. if he can stay healthy, i think he's gonna be a really good player. he's making me rethink my earlier assertion that larry english is the best pass rusher in this draft.

i've seen more of english because of senior bowl practices; his initial burst is insanely quick. i don't know if rak's quite as fast off the ball, but he likely has more strength than english and is a bit more seasoned because he played in a stronger conference.

NFL.com also recorded this segment with Brian Orakpo. The Texas defensive end talks about his roots and a bit about his playing style. Orakpo is another individual with good character and humble personality. Whether he figures in Seattle's draft plans will surely depend on whether the team views him as a potential every down 4-3 defensive end or more of an OLB in the 3-4.

He's also a leader, and a smart kid. Interesting info on him as far as 4-3 or 3-4:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f72852

Guest Aloysius
I'd rather go Crabtree up top and hope for English or Barwin than go Orapko up top and go with Nicks or Britt.

My favorite Britt highlight:

Guest Aloysius
NFL.com also recorded this segment with Brian Orakpo. The Texas defensive end talks about his roots and a bit about his playing style. Orakpo is another individual with good character and humble personality. Whether he figures in Seattle's draft plans will surely depend on whether the team views him as a potential every down 4-3 defensive end or more of an OLB in the 3-4.

Seattle isn't going to take Orakpo. Even though Patrick Kerney's set to make $7M in '09, he isn't expected to be cut. They're still waiting for '08 1st Round pick Lawrence Jackson to develop. And if he doesn't, Darryl Tapp has proven himself capable of filling the void (5.5 sacks in '08).

Add in that Cory Redding's expected to play LE on running downs, and the Seahawks appear to be stacked at DE. My guess is that they're hoping to take Eugene Monroe at #4. If he's not available, they'll go with either Raji or Crabtree. QB could be an option, but I don't think it's likely.

My favorite Britt highlight:

He is a big kid! I wouldn't want a 6'3" 220 lbs safety stalking me over the middle!

This kid could be big YAC guy. Strong, with a stiff arm.

I've been reading some mocks where they are moving him into the first round. It seems now he won't last far into the seond round if he does fall into that round.

Aloy, didn't you say there may be some attitude problems with Britt?

it seems opinions on orakpo's workout aren't unanimous.

from PFT:

Dissenting Opinions Emerge On Orakpo Workout

Earlier in the day, NFL.com’s Gil Brandt offered up a glowing review of Brian Orakpo’s Pro Day workout.

But not everyone feels that way.

Per one league source, some scouts viewed the linebacker/defensive end’s workout as “brutal.”

According to the source, Orakpo is regarded by some as having “great athletic abilities but bad football skills.” It’s prompting some to question whether Orakpo merits even a first-round pick.

just food for thought.

He is a big kid! I wouldn't want a 6'3" 220 lbs safety stalking me over the middle!

This kid could be big YAC guy. Strong, with a stiff arm.

I've been reading some mocks where they are moving him into the first round. It seems now he won't last far into the seond round if he does fall into that round.

He's certainly got the over celebrating thing down to a tee.

Probably another guy that talks shit after a ten yard grab on third and thirteen.

He's certainly got the over celebrating thing down to a tee.

Probably another guy that talks shit after a ten yard grab on third and thirteen.

Are you serious? The kid comes in to play pass defense, probably only the first time perhaps, he has been asked to do that since he is a WR. He then comes up with a chance to deliver a big hit when he is usually the one on the other end of that. I would be celebrating too. Big whoop - the kid got excited for the play he made aside from his usual position.

If this was their regular safety doing this on the last play of the half, I would be concerned. But not someone who gets thrown back their once in a blue moon.

Relax.

Guest Aloysius

Reports were that he wasn't very well-liked by the other guys at the pre-Combine training facility he went to. He's said to have interviewed well at the Combine, but he may be too much of a me-first guy for Mangini's tastes.

He's very talented - almost a poor man's Calvin Johnson - but scouting reports say that he has Braylonesque bad drops. Haven't seen any in the little I've watched of him, but it's definitely a concern.

but scouting reports say that he has Braylonesque bad drops. Haven't seen any in the little I've watched of him, but it's definitely a concern.

I've read this too. He wants to catch ball with his body instead of his hands and as a result has too many drops.

If there is a good chance he's a "Me first" guy then I don't want any part of him.

Guest Aloysius
the more we learn about orakpo, the more i like him. if he can stay healthy, i think he's gonna be a really good player. he's making me rethink my earlier assertion that larry english is the best pass rusher in this draft.

Orakpo's growing on me as well. I've watched three of the four '08 games in which he didn't notch a sack, and he was absolutely beastly in two of those. A stark contrast from the games in which I saw Clint Sintim do absolutely nothing & look terrible while doing it.

The Colorado game may have been Orakpo's worst game statistically - two tackles, zero sacks, zero tackles for loss. But if you watch this highlight reel, you can see that he was actually pretty dominant.

Guest Aloysius
I think he's going to be a beast in the 4-3 at DE but isn't going to be anything better than average if he moves to olb.

It's a gut feeling.

I don't want him in the 3-4.

I don't really share that concern. One of the most impressive things about the Colorado game clip above is how Orakpo runs step for step with RB-WR Darrell Scott on the trick play. Scott's a freshman who came out of high school running a 4.4 40. The more I watch of Orakpo, the more I see the absolutely freakish second gear he can use when he wants to (which, admittedly, he should be criticized for not using enough).

As that clip shows, he needs to work on his ball-tracking skills. But he reportedly looked great in LB drills at his pro day, and I haven't seen him have trouble making tackles in the open field.

I guess people are more concerned now about 3-4 OLB conversion because of Gholston's problems, but I think Orakpo is a much more flexible & fluid athlete than Gholston. He shows better hip bend when rushing the passer and - I think - will have an easier time transitioning to a new position.

I've heard people like NFL Network's Charles Davis caution that you may not want to draft Orakpo to play 3-4 OLB because, like LaMarr Woodley, it may take him some time to adjust to the new position. But if he's as good in year two as LaMarr Woodley was this year, why the hell wouldn't you take him at #5?

If both Orakpo and Crabtree are still available when we pick at #5, I'd have a very hard time choosing between those two guys.

I don't really share that concern. One of the most impressive things about the Colorado game clip above is how Orakpo runs step for step with RB-WR Darrell Scott on the trick play. Scott's a freshman who came out of high school running a 4.4 40. The more I watch of Orakpo, the more I see the absolutely freakish second gear he can use when he wants to (which, admittedly, he should be criticized for not using enough).

As that clip shows, he needs to work on his ball-tracking skills. But he reportedly looked great in LB drills at his pro day, and I haven't seen him have trouble making tackles in the open field.

I guess people are more concerned now about 3-4 OLB conversion because of Gholston's problems, but I think Orakpo is a much more flexible & fluid athlete than Gholston. He shows better hip bend when rushing the passer and - I think - will have an easier time transitioning to a new position.

I've heard people like NFL Network's Charles Davis caution that you may not want to draft Orakpo to play 3-4 OLB because, like LaMarr Woodley, it may take him some time to adjust to the new position. But if he's as good in year two as LaMarr Woodley was this year, why the hell wouldn't you take him at #5?

If both Orakpo and Crabtree are still available when we pick at #5, I'd have a very hard time choosing between those two guys.

Okay my friend, no sitting on the fense. Orakpo, Crabtree, Raji or trade down? come on, who would make the biggest impact or be the biggest difference maker for the Browns? Personally, I am a little torn myself, but I've stated Crabtree because of our WR situation and the value of OLBs later in the draft. Selecting, not knowing what would be available your next pick if you passed on a guy or who's the best player available player for this team with our needs and limited draft picks is a tough call.

Your opinion is appreciated and could start a nice thread. Got to keep it real with what we have. We can't specualte that we get two more picks by trading Edwards or Quinn or any of that off the wall stuff. How would Orakpo fit with Wimbley and how would Crabtree fit with Edwards. who would make the biggest impact?

Guest Aloysius

FenceSitter.jpg

I'm legitimately on the fence here...though Mr. Crow knows well that, when it doubt, I'm going to go defense.

Still need to see more of Crabtree before deciding which guy I like more. As of now, I'd probably go with Osackpo.

Guest Masters

I am very leary of Orakpo. 1st rounders, expecially defenders, have not worked out well recently.

2008 - Sweed to PIT. So far, jury is out. But he don't look like a guy that will break out to me.

2007 - Griffin to TEN. Started to come around last year with the picks on that all around good TEN. Let's see what he does this year with Haynsworth missing on that D.

2007 - Ross to NYG. Has done a decent job. But for where he was taken, you'd think he'd do better than Wright, who was taken in round 2.

2006 - Young to TEN. Nothing needs to be said.

2006 - Huff to OAK. Really hasn't done much. Has some tackles, but 1 sack and 1 INT in 3 years.

2005 - Benson to CHI. Nothing needs to be said.

2005 - Johnson to KC. Really hasn't shown to be anything but average at LB.

So in the last 4 drafts, that is 7 guys taken in the 1st round. Of them, only 2 have shown much of anything, and it really isn't a whole lot they have shown. That isn't exactly a good track record for guys coming from their to the pros.

I am very leary of Orakpo. 1st rounders, expecially defenders, have not worked out well recently.

2008 - Sweed to PIT. So far, jury is out. But he don't look like a guy that will break out to me.

2007 - Griffin to TEN. Started to come around last year with the picks on that all around good TEN. Let's see what he does this year with Haynsworth missing on that D.

2007 - Ross to NYG. Has done a decent job. But for where he was taken, you'd think he'd do better than Wright, who was taken in round 2.

2006 - Young to TEN. Nothing needs to be said.

2006 - Huff to OAK. Really hasn't done much. Has some tackles, but 1 sack and 1 INT in 3 years.

2005 - Benson to CHI. Nothing needs to be said.

2005 - Johnson to KC. Really hasn't shown to be anything but average at LB.

So in the last 4 drafts, that is 7 guys taken in the 1st round. Of them, only 2 have shown much of anything, and it really isn't a whole lot they have shown. That isn't exactly a good track record for guys coming from their to the pros.

Limas Sweed was not a first rounder. He went in the second round. Of course, if you want to go further back you have Casey Hampton, Roy Williams and Shaun Rogers (a second rounder).

I'm a Texas alum and even I would not be enough of a homer to say that you're wrong. I think however, that to say that you wouldn't pick a guy from Texas because of this list is like saying you wouldn't pick an OSU player because of Maurice Clarett or Vernon Gholston. Brian Orakpo is probably the best defensive player that the Longhorns have had in ten years. I don't know that this makes him a 34 OLB. I just can't help but see 43 DE written all over him. I could be wrong.

FenceSitter.jpg

I'm legitimately on the fence here...though Mr. Crow knows well that, when it doubt, I'm going to go defense.

Still need to see more of Crabtree before deciding which guy I like more. As of now, I'd probably go with Osackpo.

Okay, so we're both saying we would trade down...........................LOL

Guest Masters
Limas Sweed was not a first rounder. He went in the second round. Of course, if you want to go further back you have Casey Hampton, Roy Williams and Shaun Rogers (a second rounder).

I'm a Texas alum and even I would not be enough of a homer to say that you're wrong. I think however, that to say that you wouldn't pick a guy from Texas because of this list is like saying you wouldn't pick an OSU player because of Maurice Clarett or Vernon Gholston. Brian Orakpo is probably the best defensive player that the Longhorns have had in ten years. I don't know that this makes him a 34 OLB. I just can't help but see 43 DE written all over him. I could be wrong.

You are right on Sweed. My bad.

I am not saying I wouldn't pick him solely on that reason. Only that it make me leary of some of the hype players get coming out of Texas, as a high 1st round talent. They haven't been living up to the expectation.

What you said at the end is another reason I am leary of him. He could fail as a 3-4 OLB, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't have been pretty good if he got to play as a 4-3 end. Sometimes a players failure has as much to do with what he was asked to do as lack of ability.

You are right on Sweed. My bad.

I am not saying I wouldn't pick him solely on that reason. Only that it make me leary of some of the hype players get coming out of Texas, as a high 1st round talent. They haven't been living up to the expectation.

What you said at the end is another reason I am leary of him. He could fail as a 3-4 OLB, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't have been pretty good if he got to play as a 4-3 end. Sometimes a players failure has as much to do with what he was asked to do as lack of ability.

Agreed. I think that you can ask a player to switch positions but it's up to you to know if he can. I think that there are plenty of guys out there who failed at the first stop but found their groove somewhere else. That would bother me quite a bit. I hope I am wrong on Orakpo because, at his best, he's a monster. I think it'd be much nicer though if Curry fell out to us. He's a much safer pick it would seem.

I am surprised that there isn't a lot of talk in the media about Crabtree to Cleveland. I have seen this guy play a bunch and while some of his numbers are system driven...this dude looks as much like Michael Irvin on the field as anybody I've seen in a while. He reminds me of Roy Williams but with better football instincts.

Guest Masters
Agreed. I think that you can ask a player to switch positions but it's up to you to know if he can. I think that there are plenty of guys out there who failed at the first stop but found their groove somewhere else. That would bother me quite a bit. I hope I am wrong on Orakpo because, at his best, he's a monster. I think it'd be much nicer though if Curry fell out to us. He's a much safer pick it would seem.

I am surprised that there isn't a lot of talk in the media about Crabtree to Cleveland. I have seen this guy play a bunch and while some of his numbers are system driven...this dude looks as much like Michael Irvin on the field as anybody I've seen in a while. He reminds me of Roy Williams but with better football instincts.

It would be great if Curry fell to CLE. He is the safe pick, and still hasn't hit his ceiling.

I am and not surprised about the media talking about Crabtree in CLE. They are being completely kept in the dark by the new Browns management. CLE could very well have their sights actually sent on Crabtree, with the future of BE in doubt, one way or another. I agree with you on Crabtree. While his numbers may be some what system driven, they are still huge. It isn't like he wasn't still ending up w/ the other teams best CB lined up against him. If anything, playing in that system just showed that you can't cover him one on one.

It would be great if Curry fell to CLE. He is the safe pick, and still hasn't hit his ceiling.

I am and not surprised about the media talking about Crabtree in CLE. They are being completely kept in the dark by the new Browns management. CLE could very well have their sights actually sent on Crabtree, with the future of BE in doubt, one way or another. I agree with you on Crabtree. While his numbers may be some what system driven, they are still huge. It isn't like he wasn't still ending up w/ the other teams best CB lined up against him. If anything, playing in that system just showed that you can't cover him one on one.

Buzz is Philly and Giants want to move up for Crabtree. I'd like to accomadate Philly with those two first round picks.

Archived