THE BROWNS BOARD

Top Rookies of 2014

The Gipper

Per one source, these were the best performing rookies (draftees only) of the 2014 season:

#1. Zach Martin OG Dallas

#2. CJ Mosley LB Baltimore

3T. Odell Beckham WR NYG

.....Aaron Donald DT St.L.

5T. Cory Linsley OC GB

.....Jeremy Hill RB Cincy

7T. JaJuan James OT Miami

.....Teddy Twatwater QB Minn

.....Justin Britt OT Seattle

10T. Sammy Watkins WR Buff

......Jake Matthews OT ATL

......Kelvin Benjamin WR Caro.

......Jack Mewhort OT Indy

......Preston Brown LB Buff

......Zack Fulton OG KC

16T. Khalil Mack LB Oak

...... Mike Evans WR TB

......Anthony Barr LB Minn.

......Weston Richburg OL NYG

......Bryan Stork OC NYG

......Russell Bodine OC Cincy

......EJ Gaines DB St. L.

......Sentrel Henderson OL Buff

In theory, Buffalo had the best of it from their rookie class. Three of the top 23 were Bills. The Giants, Bengals, Rams and Vikings, Dolphins also got 2 each. The Browns had a pair just below this group: Bitonio and Kirksey (though I am not sure Bito takes a back seat to any of them...including Martin really)

It was a good year for the Offensive line. Almost half, 11 of the top 23 were OL....including three centers. Next were WRs....4 of the top 23.

The Top Rookie Performers playing in the AFC North were:

1. CJ Mosley Ravens

2. Jeremy Hill, Bengals

3. Russell Bodine, Bengals

4. Joel Bitonio, Browns

5. Christian Kirksey, Browns

6. Martavis Bryant, Steelers

7. Terence West, Browns

8. Lorenzo Taliaferro, Ravens

9. Stephon Tuitt, Steelers

who is the one source and what is their method of determination?......definitely see some names that dont belong and dont see some names that should belong.....

Its the PFR CA average.

I know you have your PFF source......by all means, show us what they say.

Hmmm....lists seem totally whacked to me and cant find anything like this on PFR.....gotta link to the list?

You have to pull up the 2014 draft, then click on the CarAV column. It will sort the entire draft class by that stat. And you can do that for any stat they list across the board. Example, it shows a column for rushing yards. Click it and the rookies will show up in order by yards gained rushing in their career (in this case, one year.) E.g. Jeremy Hill was tops in rushing with 1124, then Tre Maso with 765, then Andre Williams with 721, then Terence West with 673 etc.

It is interactive all across the board with those stats.

Bitonio > Martin

I assume that is the "greater than" sign? I could never keep those straight. Yes, some here may think so. But apparently this statistic doesn't see it that way. It gave Martin double the score that Bito got. You would have to look at the methodology to figure out why the large discrepancy. I don't begin to tell you that understand it....especially for offensive linemen....who do not have the traditional skill player stats to go back on.

When I saw K Mack listed as # 16....well......really?....thats a bad joke,,,,,

FWIW....Here are the top 15 rookies, according to PFF......

1) K. Mack .........55.3

2) A. Donald.......34.4

3) J. Bitonio........22.4

4) Z. Martin.........21.6

5) C. Borland......20.8

6) O. Beckham...20.4

7) B. Linder........16.6

8) C. Mosely.......11.3

9) M. Evans........10.2

10)C. Linsley.......10.0

11)T. Jernigan.......8.9

12) K. Williams......8.7

13) J. Verrett.........8.1

14) J. Landry.........7.2

15) T. Gabriel........6.9

Some of the guys on that first list are actually listed as some of the worst rookies.....JaJuan James, Weston Richburg, Zach Fulton, Seantrell Henderson, Justin Britt, Bryan Stork, Benjiman and many others dont even rank.....

so there is obviously a huge disparity in opinion here.....

How can Kelvin Benjiman and Sammy Watkins possibly be rated ahead of Mike Evans???.....or Zach Martin have double Bitos score??.... thats pure insanity at its best....

The Top Rookie Performers playing in the AFC North were:

1. CJ Mosley Ravens

2. Jeremy Hill, Bengals

3. Russell Bodine, Bengals

4. Joel Bitonio, Browns

5. Christian Kirksey, Browns

6. Martavis Bryant, Steelers

7. Terence West, Browns

8. Lorenzo Taliaferro, Ravens

9. Stephon Tuitt, Steelers

And here is the PFF breakdown for the top 10 in the AFCN.....(at least those that played a min 25% of snaps)

1) J. Bitonio......22.4

2) C. Mosely....11.3

3) K. Williams....8.7

4) T. Gabriel......6.9

5) R. Hewitt.......4.1

6) M. Bryant......2.6

7) J. Urschell....1.6

8) C. Gilmore....1.4

9) J. Hill.............1.4

10)J. Gilbert......-2.8

So.....thats 4 Browns.......3 Baltiwhores.....and 2 Bunglers.....and 1 stool.....

And here is the PFF breakdown for the top 10 in the AFCN.....(at least those that played a min 25% of snaps)

1) J. Bitonio......22.4

2) C. Mosely....11.3

3) K. Williams....8.7

4) T. Gabriel......6.9

5) R. Hewitt.......4.1

6) M. Bryant......2.6

7) J. Urschell....1.6

8) C. Gilmore....1.4

9) J. Hill.............1.4

10)J. Gilbert......-2.8

So.....thats 4 Browns.......3 Baltiwhores.....and 2 Bunglers.....and 1 stool.....

I think Jeremy Hill should get a better ranking. He did after all gain 1124 yards rushing, score 9 TDs and catch 27 passes for 215 yards.

I think Jeremy Hill should get a better ranking. He did after all gain 1124 yards rushing, score 9 TDs and catch 27 passes for 215 yards.

Based upon just his rushing #'s, I would agree......BUT, they(PFF) account for all phases and he was downgraded due to his poor pass receiving and slippery fingers......he led all RB's in dropped passes AND fumbles.....which cost him on his score....

Based upon just his rushing #'s, I would agree......BUT, they(PFF) account for all phases and he was downgraded due to his poor pass receiving and slippery fingers......he led all RB's in dropped passes AND fumbles.....which cost him on his score....

Yea, I think PFR probably grades him just based on what he does....not on what he fucks up.

Archived