THE BROWNS BOARD

Annual Prediction time

The Gipper

Steelers in a word: Triplets...

Arguably the best RB...

Arguably the best WR...

Easily a top 5 QB...

Pouncey's loss hurts, but still the Steelers' O could write new records. And they will have to as he D will pale in comparison...

Steelers in a word: Triplets...

Arguably the best RB...

Arguably the best WR...

Easily a top 5 QB...

Pouncey's loss hurts, but still the Steelers' O could write new records. And they will have to as he D will pale in comparison...

Well, that could kinda make them the San Diego Chargers from the late 70s, early 80s, with Dan Fouts, Jefferson/Joiner,and Chuck Muncie.....but I actually think that team had better defensive performers.

OK, they could be good.

But again I ask.....when did the adage "games are won and lost in the trenches" no longer become a truism?

When you have a QB and pass catching RB that can render a running game unnecessary. Do a quick dumpoff for 5 yards, that's like a 5 yard run. Those plays are there all night if your QB knows where to look. Ben does. Anyone thinking Pouncey going down will have the same impact that Mack going down did is off IMO.

Well, that could kinda make them the San Diego Chargers from the late 70s, early 80s, with Dan Fouts, Jefferson/Joiner,and Chuck Muncie.....but I actually think that team had better defensive performers.

OK, they could be good.

But again I ask.....when did the adage "games are won and lost in the trenches" no longer become a truism?

... or the Aikman/ Smith/ Irving Cowboys... with a very good D.

Trenches count... if you know nothing else about me, you know I believe that, Gip. And the Steelers O-line is good, even without Pouncey who makes them very good.

It's just that what makes PTG's Offense scary good is their set of triplets.

AFC

North Bungles

South Colts

East Deflaters

West Broncos

NFC

North Packers

South Falcons

East Eagles

West Seahawks

WC's

AFC Bills and Texans

NFC Cards and Cowboys

Superbowl Eagles over Colts

... or the Aikman/ Smith/ Irving Cowboys... with a very good D.

Trenches count... if you know nothing else about me, you know I believe that, Gip. And the Steelers O-line is good, even without Pouncey who makes them very good.

It's just that what makes PTG's Offense scary good is their set of triplets.

While BR may be on Aikman's level....I am not prepared to say that Brown and Bell are on the Smith/Irving level at this point.

And I agree trenches count.....and they are below avg. there in my opinion.......and if defensive backfields also count....then they are in the lower quarter in the league there as far as I am concerned.

I bring up Smith and Irving only as a triplet point of reference. They with Aikman constituted the first trio dubbed triplets that I can recall.

I'd argue that both Bell and Brown have shown the promise of being Smith and Irving comparison worthy, but certainly they lack the longevity at this point.

We'll just have to disagree on the PTG O-line, but we can agree on their secondary being sub-standard... especially after last nite.

I bring up Smith and Irving only as a triplet point of reference. They with Aikman constituted the first trio dubbed triplets that I can recall.

I seem to recall other previous trios of offensive skilled players being called triplets....but those Cowboys did get the hype about it more than others did (as is usually the case with the Cowboys)

Hell, the Baltimore Colts had Quadruplets....when it came to Hall of Fame skill players: QB Johnny Unitas,RB Lenny Moore, WR Ray Berry, TE John Mackey.

I mean....Otto Graham, Marion Motley and Dante Lavelli were early "triplets".

I'd argue that both Bell and Brown have shown the promise of being Smith and Irving comparison worthy, but certainly they lack the longevity at this point.

Fair enough.

We'll just have to disagree on the PTG O-line, but we can agree on their secondary being sub-standard... especially after last nite.

Well, perhaps we can agree on this: they are well coached and may be able to overachieve. But I think last night to be honest they faced what really is now a fairly week DL....and an average set of LBs.

I think they will be facing another depleted defense next week when the play the 49ers. But the week after that they will play a monster DL in the Rams. Let's see how that goes.

Having triplets and being widely known as "triplets" are completely different. Not going to claim the following as authoritative, but since it says what I am saying...

In the early 1990s, the NFL’s Dallas Cowboys showed just how far a fantastic trio can take a team, winning three Super Bowls in a four-year span thanks in large part to the original Triplets — a trio of Hall of Fame inductees featuring quarterback Troy Aikman, tailback Emmitt Smith and wideout Michael Irvin.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/ranking-triplets-sec-qb-rb-wr-2015/

Absolutely agree that the Pats D is average at best right now... and I'll even throw their secondary into that analysis. Their LB Corps is now their strength and is intact. Individually the names don't impress, but Bill makes them work. Whole far exceeds sum of their parts... but they miss Wilfork's blocker-eating mass. Also agree the unit will get much better as season progresses.

Having triplets and being widely known as "triplets" are completely different. Not going to claim the following as authoritative, but since it says what I am saying...

In the early 1990s, the NFL’s Dallas Cowboys showed just how far a fantastic trio can take a team, winning three Super Bowls in a four-year span thanks in large part to the original Triplets — a trio of Hall of Fame inductees featuring quarterback Troy Aikman, tailback Emmitt Smith and wideout Michael Irvin.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/ranking-triplets-sec-qb-rb-wr-2015/

Well, what you are saying here is that those guys have been given the name Triplets, by the media. That it is a moniker like the Doomsday Defense or the Steeler Curtain. I don't know....maybe that is so.

But my point is that they are by NO means the original QB/RB/WR trio to make the HOF.

I gave you the Browns: Graham, Motley, Lavelli

Rams: Van Brocklin, Fears, Hirsch

Colts: Unitas, Berry, Moore

Dolphins: Griese, Csonka, Warfield

Steelers: Bradshaw, Harris Swann/Stallworth

and Cowboys contemporaries: Kelly, Thomas, Reed.

So there were Triplets, even if they were not called Triplets.

Absolutely agree that the Pats D is average at best right now... and I'll even throw their secondary into that analysis. Their LB Corps is now their strength and is intact. Individually the names don't impress, but Bill makes them work. Whole far exceeds sum of their parts... but they miss Wilfork's blocker-eating mass. Also agree the unit will get much better as season progresses.

I seem to recall other previous trios of offensive skilled players being called triplets....but those Cowboys did get the hype about it more than others did (as is usually the case with the Cowboys)

My predictions

Week 1 : @Jets W 19-17

Week 2 : Titans W 21-13

Week 3 : Raiders W 27-26

Week 4 : @ Chargers L 31-17

Week 5 : @ Ravens L 19-7

Week 6 : Broncos L 28-24

Week 7 : @ Rams L 23-13

Week 8 : Cardinals W 24-23

Week 9 : @ Bengals L 21-19

Week 10 : @ Steelers : L 31-24

Week 11 : Bye

Week 12 : Ravens W 24-18

Week 13 : Bengals W 24-10

Week 14 : 49ers W 17-15

Week 15 : @ Seahawks L 23-7

Week 16 : @ Chiefs L 26-14

Week 17 : Steelers L 25-13

Final record : 7-9

Offensive MVP : Offensive Line

Defensive MVP : Karlos Dansby

Biggest takeaway : 100 years' war continues

Biggest disappointment : Last two weeks

Browns' Pro Bowler : Joe Thomas, Joel Bitonio, Joe Haden, Tashaun Gipson, Danny Shelton, Andy Lee

• 2 weeks later...

I focus so much on the Browns and AFC North that I'm not too good at predictions involving the other divisions, but here goes:

AFC North- Browns figure out a way to protect their home field and win division

AFC East: Patriots

AFC South: Houston edges out Indy

AFC West: Chargers

AFC Wild Cards: Steelers, Broncos

NFC East: NY Giants

NFC North: Packers

NFC South: Falcons

NFC West: Seahawks

NFC WIld Cards: Cardinals, Eagles

Super Bowl (homer pick): Browns over Packers, shock the world

Super Bowl (reality pick): Packers over Patriots

So much for my Browns optimism. Here I thought we'd be a "surprise team" this season, instead we once again can't protect the home field.

I've lost a ton of faith this afternoon, hopefully the bottom won't fall out. Awful performance.

Archived