THE BROWNS BOARD

Practice Squad

Zombo

BEREA, Ohio – The Cleveland Browns on Sunday signed the following eight players to their practice squad. All eight were waived by the Browns on Saturday.

Name Pos. HT WT EXP College Hometown

Draughn, Shaun RB 5-11 205 3 North Carolina Tarboro, N.C.

James, Kendall DB 5-11 180 1 Maine Scotch Plains, N.J.

Jennings, Darius WR 5-10 169 R Virginia Baltimore, Md.

Ladson, Erle OL 6-6 350 1 Delaware New York City, N.Y.

McDonald, Andrew OL 6-6 310 2 Indiana Indianapolis, Ind.

Miller, Darrian OL 6-5 307 R Kentucky Lexington, Ky.

Pullard III, Hayes LB 6-1 240 R Southern California Inglewood, Calif.

Saunders, De'Ante DB 5-9 187 R Tennessee State DeLand, Fla.

BEREA, Ohio – The Cleveland Browns on Sunday signed the following eight players to their practice squad. All eight were waived by the Browns on Saturday.

Well that's a little more like it...

Name Pos. HT WT EXP College Hometown
Draughn, Shaun RB 5-11 205 3 North Carolina Tarboro, N.C.
James, Kendall DB 5-11 180 1 Maine Scotch Plains, N.J.
Jennings, Darius WR 5-10 169 R Virginia Baltimore, Md.
Ladson, Erle OL 6-6 350 1 Delaware New York City, N.Y.
McDonald, Andrew OL 6-6 310 2 Indiana Indianapolis, Ind.
Miller, Darrian OL 6-5 307 R Kentucky Lexington, Ky.
Pullard III, Hayes LB 6-1 240 R Southern California Inglewood, Calif.
Saunders, De'Ante DB 5-9 187 R Tennessee State DeLand, Fla.

2 spots left. like Lenz but we have 3 like him on roster that are proven that can separate from DB's. Ladson and Miller OL no thanks after watching OL 2's, waste after landing Pasztor. Good place for Jennings, Pullard and McDonald..

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2015/9/6/9270169/cleveland-browns-practice-squad-includes-darius-jennings-hayes-pullard

• RB Shaun Draughn - 5-11, 205 lbs. - I was surprised to see that Draughn was practice squad eligible, but he is. Despite having been in the league since 2011 and seeing regular season action in each of those years, he's only played a full season once, hence his eligibility. Draughn on the practice squad seems like a short-term move -- once the team finds a veteran back they like on the 53-man roster, I'd expect them to seek a younger option for the practice squad.
  • WR Darius Jennings - 5-10, 169 lbs. - Known as a solid kick returner, Jennings averaged 23.3 yards per kick return on 9 attempts during the preseason, including a 54 yarder in the first game. The average does not include a 54-yarder in the final preseason game that was wiped away by a penalty. He also caught a 37-yard pass from QB Johnny Manziel during the preseason and was thought to be a contender to take WR Travis Benjamin's role on the roster at the beginning of camp. If something were to happen to Benjamin, who is in the final year of his contract, Jennings could get a call up.
  • OT Andrew McDonald - 6-6, 310 lbs. - McDonald was an undrafted free agent in 2012 who has bounced around to five different teams, with the Browns being his fifth after the team claimed him off waivers from the Colts at the end of the 2014 season. He was the best "seventh lineman" in camp, and his agent has been constantly tweeting that he's been told McDonald will be re-signed to the 53-man roster later this week. I wouldn't be so sure about that, but for now he's on the practice squad.
  • OL Erle Ladson - 6-6, 350 lbs.
  • OL Darrian Miller - 6-5, 307 lbs.
  • ILB Hayes Pullard - 6-1, 240 lbs. - A seventh-round pick, it was no surprise to see him land on the practice squad. He had a strong showing at the end of camp, but it wasn't enough to overtake a roster spot from veteran ILB Tank Carder. If something happens at the inside linebacker position injury-wise, Pullard will get the call-up.
  • CB Kendall James - 5-11, 180 lbs. - James had strong preseason. Early in camp, he had several near-interceptions, and then he made the most of his opportunities during the games when most of the cornerbacks were out with injuries.
  • S De'Ante Saunders - 5-9, 187 lbs. - I'm a little surprised to see Saunders make it over fellow SLandon Feicther, as Feicther had received praise from the coaching staff throughout camp. Saunders was here a little longer, though. Nicknamed De'Ante "Pop" Saunders, his scouting report said that he can "lay the lumber" but had some red flags when it came to character issues in college.

There are room for two more players on the practice squad, but it's worth noting that fourth-round pick Vince Mayle is not on there. Neither is camp superstar Josh Lenz. The team will have to add a quarterback to the practice squad you'd think, and I'd also like to see DL Dylan Wynn end up there. Here is the status of other practice squad eligible players you might be wondering about:

What About These Players?

• QB Pat Devlin - Unsigned
  • RB Timothy Flanders - Unsigned
  • WR Vince Mayle - Unsigned
  • WR Josh Lenz - Unsigned
  • OG Karim Barton - Signed to the Texans' practice squad.
  • OL Vinston Painter - Unsigned
  • OL Eric Olsen - Unsigned
  • DL Jacobbi McDaniel - Unsigned
  • DL Dylan Wynn - Unsigned
  • OLB Mike Reilly - Unsigned
  • CB Robert Nelson - Signed to the Cardinals' practice squad.
  • CB Joe Rankin - Unsigned
  • S Landon Feichter - Unsigned

Not as I understand it...

Any player who clears waivers is an UFA. But until they clear teams may not contact them about PS slots. That gives a bit of an inside track to the waiving team, if it made its PS intentions known during the cut face-to-face.

If a player is claimed, and some were (SEA had 4 plucked), he must go to the claimer's 53-man roster. (I did find one source that said players could be claimed for PSs, but I believe that was incorrect and found others saying it was incorrect.)

If a player is claimed, and some were (SEA had 4 plucked), he must go to the claimer's 53-man roster. (I did find one source that said players could be claimed for PSs, but I believe that was incorrect and found others saying it was incorrect.)

This is actually not quite right.....once a player clears waivers, they can sign with anybody( for both PS or active roster).....

BUT....once a player is signed to a teams PS, any other team can still claim(steal) them...but, in this scenario, they must be placed on the active 53.......

This is actually not quite right.....once a player clears waivers, they can sign with anybody( for both PS or active roster).....

BUT....once a player is signed to a teams PS, any other team can still claim(steal) them...but, in this scenario, they must be placed on the active 53.......

I'm not sure how what you're saying contradicts Tour's points?

he said if a player is claimed off waivers, then he has to go on the 53......and thats wrong....they can claim them and then put them on PS.....

If a player is claimed, and some were (SEA had 4 plucked), he must go to the claimer's 53-man roster. (I did find one source that said players could be claimed for PSs, but I believe that was incorrect)

he said if a player is claimed off waivers, then he has to go on the 53......and thats wrong....they can claim them and then put them on PS.....

Are you certain about that? I was fairly sure that claiming from waivers meant you needed to put the player on the 53-man roster, same as the regular season.

So that means every kid we put on the PS either didn't have any other offers, or they like Cleveland, like the Browns, like Pettine, and want to be a part of the organization.

Are you certain about that? I was fairly sure that claiming from waivers meant you needed to put the player on the 53-man roster, same as the regular season.

Did he not clear waivers first though?

Right, I misunderstood Tours words there...I was wrong.....if they are "claimed", then they do have to go on the 53.....

But, if they are not claimed, then you can sign them to PS.....

The 3 players I thought for sure we'd retain were Draughn (mostly cause we cut West and Duke's out, so what's our depth at RB?), Lenz (cause apparently WR's that make a habit out of catching bad passes are a dime a dozen, especially here in Cleveland) and Wynn. Of those 3 though I thought Lenz with zero question makes it. I thought Wynn played himself on to the team but I know we have loads of DL depth...if we were a 4-3 team I don't think there's any question he makes the team. Which is why I don't think we retain him, there's plenty of 4-3 teams out there that I bet noticed him in preseason.

Archived