THE BROWNS BOARD

Tomlin keeps Steelers and Browns rivalry alive

SuperSteelers

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09085/958403-66.stm

QB division

Tomlin said he sees more parity in the AFC North Division because of the play of the quarterbacks.

"We're going to have a very competitive division and I think it starts with the quality quarterbacks in our division. I doubt you'll find a coach who's not thinking about [Cincinnati's] Carson Palmer."

Tomlin did not become any more popular in Cleveland when he laughed the day after the Super Bowl when a Cleveland writer asked a question and Tomlin responded, "Oh, you're from Cleveland!"

"More than anything, I was responding to how he said it," Tomlin explained yesterday. "He said it in such a way that led to the response I had. I know what this business is about from a competitive standpoint and I'm not looking for any friends in Cleveland, Ohio."

Steelers' Tomlin believes in rivalry

By Patrick McManamon

Beacon Journal sports columnist

POSTED: 10:56 p.m. EDT, Mar 25, 2009

DANA POINT, CALIF.: Mike Tomlin gets it.

Tomlin understands what it means to coach in Pittsburgh, to coach against the Browns, and to coach in a rivalry.

''I'm not looking for any friends in Cleveland, Ohio,'' Tomlin said this week at the NFL's annual meetings.

The statement came when Tomlin was asked to explain a comment the day after the Steelers won the Super Bowl. When a reporter from Cleveland introduced himself to ask a question, Tomlin chuckled and said: ''Cleveland?''

Then he laughed again.

Tomlin said he was playing off the reporter's tone, though the reporter (Tony Grossi of the Plain Dealer) said he merely introduced himself.

Tomlin probably doesn't care.

He understands there is a rivalry with the Browns, and he's not afraid to be the enemy. In the past few years, some Browns players and coaches have shunned talk of a rivalry, calling it a game like any other.

''History speaks for itself,'' Tomlin said. ''The proximity of the two cities, the desire for greatness, the unbridled fan support in both spots — it makes for a great rivalry.

''When you sit in the position that I'm in, it's something that you anticipate and embrace, the fact that you're not going to be a celebrated guy in that city.

''I think the same bodes for coach [Eric] Mangini in Pittsburgh. It's part of it.

''It's something you embrace, and you might as well embrace it as opposed to fight it.''

The Steelers have dominated the games recently, but that does not matter to Tomlin.

''It will always be a rivalry regardless of the recent history,'' he said. ''Our rear view is very small, our windshield is very big.''

The continuity with the Steelers is something that has helped the rivalry. Guys like Hines Ward and James Farrior have been Steelers for years. They understand the game.

The Browns continue to turn over their roster, and now look to 2009 with 10 new free agents and several new draft picks — few of whom have been around the rivalry.

But one thing that might help is that Browns coach Eric Mangini understands the game.

''It's a special game,'' Mangini said. ''Everybody's aware of that. I'm aware of that. There's no way you can't not be aware of it, that you don't appreciate the tradition, the uniqueness of it.''

Clearly the elements are back in place to revive the rivalry — if the Browns and Mangini can find a way to win one of the stinking games.

http://www.ohio.com/news/break_news/41869702.html

The Rooneys have been beneficial to the Steelers rise. The Learners are still ..... learning ! If KoKi-Man makes some smart moves the rivalry could reignite as early as this year.

I dunno about many of you here but I hate the Ravens more than the Steelers ...

Guest Masters

I read this the other day and almost posted it, since most Steelers fans that come on here seem to think there is no rivalry anymore between the teams. Guess those guys forgot to tell Tomlin and Hine Ward (who commented on it last season)

I read this the other day and almost posted it, since most Steelers fans that come on here seem to think there is no rivalry anymore between the teams. Guess those guys forgot to tell Tomlin and Hine Ward (who commented on it last season)

Who says there isn't a rivalry? Yes the Steelers dominate it currently but it's still a rivalry. I know it carries additional significance for me.

Guest Masters
Who says there isn't a rivalry? Yes the Steelers dominate it currently but it's still a rivalry. I know it carries additional significance for me.

Not you Snatch. But there was a boat load of you Steelers fans on here at the tail end of the season saying there was no rivalry (inlcuding misquoting Ward when he talked about the BALT rivalry before their playoff game).

PLEASE....NOT most.... Those who feel the Browns are not OUR MAIN Rival , Didn't grow up on this stuff its tradition and History . I Circle TWO Games a Year and One is IN Pittsburgh the Mirror Image of that Game is IN Cleveland ! 11 strait and I will be in Fear of losing the next one.... Because it means that much to me. BEAT Cleveland !

Guest Masters
PLEASE....NOT most.... Those who feel the Browns are not OUR MAIN Rival , Didn't grow up on this stuff its tradition and History . I Circle TWO Games a Year and One is IN Pittsburgh the Mirror Image of that Game is IN Cleveland ! 11 strait and I will be in Fear of losing the next one.... Because it means that much to me. BEAT Cleveland !

Sorry Freak, at the end of last sason, you, Snatch were the exception, not the norm as far as Steelers posters that come on this board.

I posted this because a lot on both sides have tried to dismiss our 2 teams only true rivalry. I hate when fans from both sides try to convince the ones who know better, that the Ravens are a better rival for both teams! Gimme a xxxxing break! How can a team and city that stole it's way into the league and has not even been here for 2 decades be a xxxxing rivalry!? Might be a good game, but not even close to what the Browns and Steelers mean to me, the rest of Steel nation and the Dawg Pound! At least the one's that have been around through the good times and the bad.

PLEASE....NOT most.... Those who feel the Browns are not OUR MAIN Rival , Didn't grow up on this stuff its tradition and History .

That's because the vast majority of your fagbase is frontrunner nation, who don't even know the Steelers exist during their times of futility or when they weren't beating the Browns every year.

That's because the vast majority of your fagbase is frontrunner nation, who don't even know the Steelers exist during their times of futility or when they weren't beating the Browns every year.

Don't be Retarded. There are trolls and there are people that come here for a different perspective. The trolls are here to ruffle feathers and are going to say whatever they feel will create the biggest stir. I will say that I'm tired of people calling the Steeler fan base "Front Runner Nation" because you'll be hard pressed to find a stronger fan base anywhere in professional sports. Yes every team carries it's front runners, especially those that win consistently but when it all boils down there are those that bleed the black and gold 365 days out of the year and those fans outweigh the "front runners"

I'll be the first to admit encountering MORE than my fair share of front runners in Ohio since being out here, people that have ABSOLUTELY no idea but their grandfathers, friends uncle was a Steeler fan and they used to watch games growing up..."Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight"

Either way don't degrade one of the stronger fan bases in professional sports because of the occasional ridiculous encounter you may have out here in Ohio. Go to Pittsburgh any time of the year and you are GUARANTEED to hear at least one "HERE WE GO STEELERS" chant and see plenty still wearing the gear. It's a culture and one that can't be ignored. Don't let the trolls/fair weathers ruin it for the diehard fans.....because we could just as easily rip apart the Cleveland fan base. The "well we're still here even though our team still sucks" mentality is getting a bit old. Sh.it most of the fan base hangs on out of hate for the Steelers. It's like the damn Super Bowl for some when Cleveland squares off against Pittsburgh. You're either a diehard or you aren't and there IS NO in between when it comes to our NFL teams.

I bleed the black and gold and will until they day I die.

NO that's Bull**** dude...the Vast Majority of our WEB-Based Fans , who frequent Browns sites ??? Maybe so .... But Our Actual Fan Base is SOLID as they come . You can talk all that S*** if you must , but you sound like and Imbecile . The League knows , and Players IN the League Know. So , go ahead and Live on Fantasy Island if you want. Yes , We have a good chunk of front runners , as ANY Team that wins constantly will have ,and does have. and Fagbase huh ??? Your freakin Hilarious !!! By the way your statement : about not knowing that the Steelers existed during the "Futility Period" ?? Ha Ha Ha MOST of us weren't alive then guy , and if we were we were Babys or Toddlers ... Give it up ! SteelerNATION is REAL and respected all over, It sends THOUSANDS to EVERY Visiting Stadium the Steelers play in.,It has Teams releasing Press releases to "PLEASE.. Dont sell your tickets to SteelerNation" So , do you insist on sounding like a Moron ?? SteelerNation is a Fact ...except in the Bitter mental wasteland that many Cleveland Fans have chosen to live in.

NO that's Bull**** dude...the Vast Majority of our WEB-Based Fans , who frequent Browns sites ??? Maybe so .... But Our Actual Fan Base is SOLID as they come . You can talk all that S*** if you must , but you sound like and Imbecile . The League knows , and Players IN the League Know. So , go ahead and Live on Fantasy Island if you want. We have a chunk , as ANY Team that wins constantly will have and does have. Fagbase huh ??? Hilarious !!! By the way your statement : about not knowing tht the Steelers existed during the Futility Period ?? Ha Ha Ha MOST of us weren't alive then guy ... Give it up ! SteelerNATION is REAL and respected all over ...except in the Bitter mental wasteland that many Cleveland Fans have chosen to live in.

In all honesty with no remorse or hatred..

Steeler fans are rock solid loyal fans their has in my mind never been any real difference between the loyalty that browns fans have compared to steeler fans the only thing that is different is the rooneys have always ran a top notch organization and are extremely fan friendly encouraging heavy fan participation while for the past 10 years the lerners have all but gutted the old blue collar browns while being extremely fan unfriendly and ripping the browns fans hearts out unlike the steelers that treat their fans like family the lerners treat us browns fans like red headed step children with aids and yet we still have remained loyal..randy was a newbie owner and appears to finally be on track unlike his father i believe randy really wants to win but he still needs to work on winning the fans hearts back along the way..

Since steeler fans have never had to endure the likes of the lerners for owners we can indeed say we are rightfully (or wrongfully) the greatest fans in the league and until the steeler fans have to go through the horror of an owner like the lerners have been their fanbase kind of remains untested but i would bet my left nut the steeler fans would still be as loyal as browns fans are in the event they got a bad owner because the rooneys have built a real rowdy and fan friendly empire that would survive the misfortunes of bad ownership..

Ive seen many moronic fans from all teams browns fans included and in person as well as online...i have had many die hard steeler fan friends that rival us browns fans well...they love them steelers like we love our browns..

In all honesty with no remorse or hatred..

Steeler fans are rock solid loyal fans their has in my mind never been any real difference between the loyalty that browns fans have compared to steeler fans the only thing that is different is the rooneys have always ran a top notch organization and are extremely fan friendly encouraging heavy fan participation while for the past 10 years the lerners have all but gutted the old blue collar browns while being extremely fan unfriendly and ripping the browns fans hearts out unlike the steelers that treat their fans like family the lerners treat us browns fans like red headed step children with aids and yet we still have remained loyal..randy was a newbie owner and appears to finally be on track unlike his father i believe randy really wants to win but he still needs to work on winning the fans hearts back along the way..

Since steeler fans have never had to endure the likes of the lerners for owners we can indeed say we are rightfully (or wrongfully) the greatest fans in the league and until the steeler fans have to go through the horror of an owner like the lerners have been their fanbase kind of remains untested but i would bet my left nut the steeler fans would still be as loyal as browns fans are in the event they got a bad owner because the rooneys have built a real rowdy and fan friendly empire that would survive the misfortunes of bad ownership..

Ive seen many moronic fans from all teams browns fans included and in person as well as online...i have had many die hard steeler fan friends that rival us browns fans well...they love them steelers like we love our browns..

Hmmmm...Interesting Take. VERY SAD though. You make some really valid points esp. as to How the Steeler fans are treated by the Organization....I know that I would hang with my Team in your situation as well. Thank God I don't acctually have to endure that ! But I am sure I would...

Archived