THE BROWNS BOARD

GREAT Game Today...but there's just a couple things

Soju

Awesome game today, wow!

But!

1) WTF were we doing on offense after the big 1st quarter? Trying to run the clock/game out? Morons. Go for the juggular like Pittsburgh always does. Typical beta mentality on part of the Browns coaching staff.

2) Whose job is it exactly to seal the MUTHAFAWKIN edge on defense? Like we had a lobotomy in the section of our collective brains on defense when it comes to sealing taht edge. Get on this NOW.

3) STILL gettting beat on screens. Somebody address this sh!t already, I'm tired of it.

4) Danny Shelton? Where the Fvck are you? Non existent in the backfield. Not a very good pick so far.

All in all a GREAT game. JFF showed me something today, now the only thing is consistancy. You can't replace him with McCown now.

QB controversy?

Only 4 things??? You must be fucking giddy...

I'll take #4...

Danny is not a penetrator... he's a space eater and he is playing just like O'Neil wants him to... Occupying blockers and space on or just behind the LOS... jamming the middle... keeping those behind him free and clean...

Next...

I watched Shelton today and fall in the middle thus far. If Oneil wants him to be a space eater in the 3-4, he is all that. I was hoping he was being groomed as a Warren Sapp, John Randall, Dontari Poe type.

As far as the game is concern I don't think you ever sneer at a win around here. My take away, the Titans offense looked like the week 1 Browns. The Browns offense had a great sustained drive ending in a Crow TD. The only issue was it was A single sustained drive. If you are counting on two 60 yard bombs a game and a return for a TD, it will be a long year.

All I know is at one point in the game they showed all the hits Mariota was taking from our D and I remember thinking he was gonna need an ice bath after the game. I don't know how he survived. This was great team D today on a QB who had his way last week. Made him look like a rookie.

All I know is at one point in the game they showed all the hits Mariota was taking from our D and I remember thinking he was gonna need an ice bath after the game. I don't know how he survived. This was great team D today on a QB who had his way last week. Made him look like a rookie.

But a rookie with a pretty obvious skill set...

C'mon guys... There are still unanswered OP questions... I'll take a shot at #2... the edge...

No easy answer here as failures were rotating and I make no game notes, but off the top of my head.

Mingo... never has been an edge setter and most likely never will be. He would be in there a lot less were it not for Solomon's ankle.

Orchard... Correction...

Starks... Only noted it on one play, but he flipped a coin and shot the gap inside the RT. Even had he made it clean he might not have made a play on McCluster who bounced outside for a long gain.

That's all I got...

#1. We won with our D and early success with points and continued good D so why risk JM to lose it and Flipo did not with only 1 week of full prep, he's not Ben yet. #2. valet point put bitch on a improvement overall? #3.valet but we made Mariota pay each time and LB must cover better including Mingo. #4. You are simply blind to good defensive football and Shelton's effect to make this D a better unit overall.

#1. We won with our D and early success with points and continued good D so why risk JM to lose it and Flipo did not with only 1 week of full prep, he's not Ben yet. #2. valet point put bitch on a improvement overall? #3.valet but we made Mariota pay each time and LB must cover better including Mingo. #4. You are simply blind to good defensive football and Shelton's effect to make this D a better unit overall.

why risk scoring? do you know who stupid you sound? The titans were coming back and had it not been for a turn over they would have made it a one score game. YOU PUT DISTANCE between you and your oppponent -- more than 14 points -- when you play. 14 points, as KC can tell you last week, can be made up by the other team in under 30 seconds.

It's called KILLER mentality, something the Browns never had. You will win more with this philosophy than lose, ask the pats or steelers.

Anyone want to take on point #3?

I honestly feel like if we stick with this defense, we almost have to start over next year with our edge guys. They can't execute the edge in this defense. I have a suspicion there's something about Pettine's defense that requires more out of the edge guys than just "setting the edge", ie funneling the runs inside. Whatever it is, these guys aren't makin it. It's possible todays tougher than usual interior run defense was the result of bringing the LB'ers closer to the LOS, something I think Petine doesn't like to do and something another team in the future might murder us on. I'm thinking about Cincy's TE's.

why risk scoring? do you know who stupid you sound? The titans were coming back and had it not been for a turn over they would have made it a one score game. YOU PUT DISTANCE between you and your oppponent -- more than 14 points -- when you play. 14 points, as KC can tell you last week, can be made up by the other team in under 30 seconds.

It's called KILLER mentality, something the Browns never had. You will win more with this philosophy than lose, ask the pats or steelers.

your pompous shit never deserves a response but I will stick to mine. "How" learn to spell it and if you can read the only one risking scoring was Flipo not me STEW PID. Maybe you need his Job. Flipo did not expose JM to losing the game still is my statement. Stick with it

Funny thing is that when the game was finally on the line Tour and I were in agreement in the Tavern that Flip needed to call a rollout with option to pass or run for JM. It wasn't called, but effectively that is what JM turned it into with his Tarkentonlike skills. There is one person on that team that I know senses the moment of the kill. Let's hope he continues to get those moments set up for him by the team.

We make up for not stopping screens by not being able to run one ourselves?

Back on #1... I can't judge aggressiveness by scoring.

That said I got anxious also... but it took me into the late third Qtr to feel like we were getting too conservative. In part because we had a nice, 9-play drive in the 2nd Qtr that ended with the failed QB sneak... only one pass though.

To open Q3 we had a seven play drive that included 2 passes and we overcame a hold on the play 2a. Even our final drive was conservative... right up until it wasn't... six straight runs preceded the bomb to Benji.

Funny thing is that when the game was finally on the line Tour and I were in agreement in the Tavern that Flip needed to call a rollout with option to pass or run for JM. It wasn't called, but effectively that is what JM turned it into with his Tarkentonlike skills.

Yes, we did agree...

... but I think the term is "Tarkentonian skills". ;)

but effectively that is what JM turned it into with his Tarkentonlike skills. There is one person on that team that I know senses the moment of the kill. Let's hope he continues to get those moments set up for him by the team.

"Tarkentonlike skills" would have knocked me off the stool to floor. LOL.. That spin will get you killed when it don't work. Ask Fran. Can't wait for this term all week ;)

Im just coming back. You guys still let soju post on this board?

1) as much as Manziel did a much better job today of managing the game, he still fumbled twice (no turnovers). He fumbled twice last game and threw a pick. They didnt want to risk anything up 21. They never had to, good move, browns win.

2) Dont ever say Motherfawkin again. Im doing you a favor. Yea run D needs a fewlittle corrections but they didnt get run over. Mccluster looked pretty elusive today, other backs looked awful.

3) They clearly were preached this week too get hats to the ball. They overcommitted a bit, probably better than giving up 5 ypc. Ill take it.

4) Hes the one getting double teamed while we get 7 sacks. Do you watch football?

Qb controversy? Fan side, big controvesy , coaching side.... ehh. Manziel looks improved, however, I went back and watched the jets game Mccown had the ball out in rhythm and looked good before impersonating a helicopter. Its a tough call. I think we go Mccown but I want johnny to get more reps and takeover later in the year. Hes not as crisp back there seeing the field and getting the ball out as he needs to be yet. Also work on new technique getting down so no one can poke it out.

"Tarkentonlike skills" would have knocked me off the stool to floor. LOL.. That spin will get you killed when it don't work. Ask Fran. Can't wait for this term all week ;)

Orakpo said to JM after the game, "Great move man, cause I was about to hit you pretty good."

Great game and love the win. I do believe however our game plan offensively in the mid second half was far to conservative. We definitely need to throw more and it sure looks like could. I think we really need to get the backs more into the passing game as well. Hell wasn't that supposed to be a core part of the offense?

I'm glad you guys are stepping with me lock, stock and barrell in the first 3 points of putrid game planning/execution. Shelton, ok you're right about him not being a penetrating DL type of guy.

Fair points about the edge rushing and screens....though I did see some decent play vs. the screens early on.

Again....to me the edge rushing is coaching.

Still not sold in this DC.

Awesome game today, wow!

But!

1) WTF were we doing on offense after the big 1st quarter? Trying to run the clock/game out? Morons. Go for the juggular like Pittsburgh always does. Typical beta mentality on part of the Browns coaching staff.

2) Whose job is it exactly to seal the MUTHAFAWKIN edge on defense? Like we had a lobotomy in the section of our collective brains on defense when it comes to sealing taht edge. Get on this NOW.

3) STILL gettting beat on screens. Somebody address this sh!t already, I'm tired of it.

4) Danny Shelton? Where the Fvck are you? Non existent in the backfield. Not a very good pick so far.

All in all a GREAT game. JFF showed me something today, now the only thing is consistancy. You can't replace him with McCown now.

QB controversy?

1) When we have Ben Roethlesberger, Antonio Brown, and LeVeon Bell on our offense, we can start going for the jugular. For now, Mike Pettine is a defensive-minded coach and when the defense is playing as well as it was early in the game, he probably figured a 3-score lead was enough to start trying to shorten the game. Given Manziel turned the ball over three times the previous week, and if they went for the jugular might've turned it over again this week. I can't fault Pettine for this even though I'd prefer the go-for-the-jugular approach, too.

2) Yeah, it's been a problem since last year. Solomon was supposed to be good at setting the edge and he's out. Tennessee saw that weakness and attacked it and Oakland will do the same until we prove we can stop it.

3) I've got nothing on this one, would have to go back and look at the film.

4) Easy, everyone said it already. We don't get 7 sacks unless Shelton is taking double-teams.

Archived